|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character is used to indicate the location of the party Ralston mentions to the other hikers?
2. What causes Ralston's left hand to swell?
3. What is the name of the place in which Ralston is trapped?
4. What does Ralston realize when reflecting on his discussions with Rob Cooper?
5. Despite the futility of chipping away at the chockstone, why does Ralston continue to do so?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John Griffith's skills that help him survive the wild west.
2. How does Ralston feels he fits into Aspen's social class?
3. Describe Ralston's first taping on his video recorder in the canyon.
4. What does the sheriff's posse think of the outlaws?
5. Why is it be natural for Betty Darr to come up in Ralston's mind during his entrapment?
6. Although Ralston is adventurous, what are some instances in which he shows his rational side before jumping into situations?
7. What remedy does Ralston give himself after sustaining an injury on Capitol Peak instead of going to the hospital?
8. How does Ralston's attitude about the outdoors change over time while growing up?
9. Describe Ralston's reaction to a black bear in his campground on his first solo overnighter?
10. Describe the sequence of events that occurs after Ralston and his friends ski Resolution Peak.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For nearly a week, Ralston is trapped in the canyon with nothing but his own thoughts. He reminisces on many things. What are some of his more important memories? Discuss why they are important to him. What revelations does he have as he remembers past events while stuck in the canyon?
Essay Topic 2
In reference to solo climbing all the fourteeners in winter, Mark states to Ralston, "I think it's great for you, as long as you're happy". Ralston notes that it is something he thinks about years before and feels he is indeed doing this for himself. Prove or disprove whether you agree or disagree with Ralston's affirmation.
Essay Topic 3
There are times Ralston almost loses his life before Blue John Canyon. There are times he has seen his friends almost lose their lives. Compare how Ralston values his own life and his friends' lives, based on the risks he is willing to take.
This section contains 1,112 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)