|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the place in which Ralston is trapped?
2. Near the beginning of Ralston's hike, he meets which other hikers?
3. Of the listed items, which is found in Ralston's pack?
4. Who is the leader of this gang?
5. Why does Ralston stop yelling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What "clothing" does Ralston makeshift for himself to keep warm at night? What else does he do to stay warm from the chill?
2. How do you describe the feeling Ralston has at the peak of the Maroon Bells in wintertime?
3. What remedy does Ralston give himself after sustaining an injury on Capitol Peak instead of going to the hospital?
4. In addition to the direct injury of his pinned arm, what other challenges does Ralston face from being stuck in one place?
5. Describe the sequence of events that occurs after Ralston and his friends ski Resolution Peak.
6. How is Jack Moore connected to Butch Cassidy?
7. What does the sheriff's posse think of the outlaws?
8. Other than the technical skills Ralston learns from his friends about the outdoors, how does Ralston use his educational background to help him in the canyon?
9. Although Ralston is adventurous, what are some instances in which he shows his rational side before jumping into situations?
10. How does Ralston feels he fits into Aspen's social class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ralston makes many friends that love climbing and skiing as much as he does. Yet, each of their motivations are unique. Compare and contrast Ralston and his friends' motivation to ski and climb as much as they do.
Essay Topic 2
On occasion, Ralston is paid to give motivational speeches. Do you find this valid request? Why or why not? Why do you think Ralston gives these speeches?
Essay Topic 3
Ralston is stuck in the canyon for six days and is generally calm, with some bouts of anger and frustration. However, when he sees the decomposition of his arm is greater than he realizes, he panics more than usual. Why? Ralston is mentally aware his arm is decomposing for several days. Describe what really sets him off.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)