|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brian decide to do when Ralston does not show up?
(a) Call Ralston's parents to tell them Ralston is missing.
(b) Give it 24 hours before filing a missing persons report.
(c) Drive to Moab to look for him.
(d) Call the police and state it is unusual for Ralston to be more than 15 minutes late.
2. Who does Mrs. Ralston recruit to help her decide what to do?
(b) Mr. Ralston.
3. By what time is the first helicopter on the lookout for Ralston?
(a) 1:30 P.M.
(b) 2:50 P.M.
(c) 11:30 A.M.
(d) 2:00 P.M.
4. What does the dispatcher fail to tell those that file Ralston's missing persons report?
(a) Ralston is not missing long enough to begin a search immediately.
(b) That it is up to them to notify Ralston's parents.
(c) What areas the police begin their search.
(d) The itinerary of the search plan.
5. What does Ralston imagine hell to be like?
(a) Despair wrapped in loneliness.
(b) A cold, desolate desert where warmth is a faint star far away.
(c) A fiery cell with close, yet so far away, images of friends and family.
(d) A lonely, empty, cavernous room with no sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite missing Ralston at the trailhead, the two hikers figure they see Ralston again at a party. Where is the party?
2. Ralston reminisces about past thirst-quenchers. Which type does he most often think about?
3. What is Ralston's mother's immediate reaction to the phone call informing her that her son is missing?
4. Ralston compares his freedom to being born again, but with what important difference?
5. In an effort to free himself once more, what does Ralston successfully do on the fourth day?
Short Essay Questions
1. From Ralston's perspective, what significance is there in knowing what his friends are doing during his entrapment?
2. How does Emery County know to send a helicopter even before they find Ralston?
3. What does Leona sense about Ralston's current situation from Boulder?
4. What is Ralston's agenda between leaving his house on Spruce Street on Thursday and the Saturday he becomes trapped in the canyon?
5. How does Ralston's trances help him?
6. How does Steve Patchett help with the search from New Mexico?
7. Describe common themes in Ralston's memories.
8. What training does Ralston do within a 60 hour period that tells him he is ready for his Denali trip?
9. What is Elliot's role in the search for Ralston?
10. Summarize Brad and Leah's weekend after leaving Ralston near Mount Sopris. Note the circumstances that affects the timing of Ralston's rescue.
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)