|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ralston compares his freedom to being born again, but with what important difference?
(a) He is coming from a dry desolate place this time.
(b) He is not vulnerable.
(c) He now knows the values of family and friends.
(d) He feels a sense of accomplishment from making it happen.
2. What is different about his last trance compared to all the other previous trances?
(a) Ralston is able to control the direction on his own without a guide.
(b) Ralston is able to speak with the people he sees.
(c) Ralston feels he is present in both planes, the imaginary and the reality.
(d) Ralston is an active participant in the last trance.
3. What is Ralston most careful not to cut until the end of the amputation?
(a) The muscle tissues.
(b) The tendon.
(c) The veins.
(d) The arteries and nerves.
4. During one of Ralston's attempt to amputate his arm, how does he react to the puncture?
(a) He puts himself into shock.
(b) He cannot feel the pain, so continues to try and cut the bones.
(c) He compares it to a dissection from school days.
(d) He panics and finishes off his water by pouring it over his wound.
5. When getting too confident at Slick Rock Trail, what happens to Ralston?
(a) He falls head first into a snow pile when trying to show off on his skis.
(b) He gets stuck on a climb and has to retreat and reroute himself.
(c) He slams into a sand trap face forward.
(d) In the middle of hopping between boulders, he slips into a crack and rolls his ankle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Brad and Leah determine when they do not see Ralston in Utah?
2. Before Brian calls the Spruce Street house, who calls in to check on Ralston?
3. In an effort to free himself once more, what does Ralston successfully do on the fourth day?
4. How does Leona find out that Ralston never shows to work?
5. How do you describe Ralston's video by Thursday in the canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Ralston's perspective, what is happening to time?
2. What is the feeling and mood of Ralston's trances?
3. How does Donna react to Brian's initial phone call? How does her reaction compare to Ralston's characteristics?
4. What training does Ralston do within a 60 hour period that tells him he is ready for his Denali trip?
5. If Ralston knows how to successfully amputate his arm days earlier, does the outcome be the same or different? How come?
6. As time continues in the canyon, what does Ralston's water supply mean to him?
7. Other than taste, what other factors does Ralston have to consider when deciding on whether to drink his urine?
8. What happens after the amputation that eventually leads Ralston to the helicopter?
9. Describe the sequence of events the leads to locating Ralston's truck.
10. What symptoms does Ralston observe about his body and mind that shows signs of dehydration and lack of sleep?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)