|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ralston view his trances?
(a) He finds them comforting.
(b) He believes they take time away from survival techniques in the real world.
(c) He feels a little frightful with the ghosts.
(d) He finds it frustrating to be able to see yet not participate with his friends.
2. In addition to a helicopter, what other search group is called out to Horseshoe Canyon?
(a) Forest Service firefighting volunteer crew.
(b) A horse-team from Wayne County.
(c) National Association of Search and Rescue.
(d) The Albuquerque Mountain Rescue Council.
3. How does Ralston use his rope bag to keep warm?
(a) He places it over his head.
(b) He draws his legs into it to keep them warm.
(c) He ties it around his torso.
(d) He wraps it around his shoulders like a shawl.
4. What does Ralston compare his trances and reality to?
(a) "It's A Wonderful Life" starring Ralston.
(b) His trances are like heaven, his reality hell.
(c) "A Christmas Carol" by Dickens.
(d) A plot for a Stephen King book.
5. More than the pain in Ralston's arm, what bothers him on his hike out of the canyon?
(a) The constant talking of the hikers who are with him.
(b) The sand collecting in his shoes.
(c) The sun.
(d) The swirling water in his stomach.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ralston discover the idea of breaking his bones to amputate his arm?
2. What information are the police able to find from Ralston's credit and debit cards?
3. Who does Ralston originally forget and then remember to talk to on his videotape?
4. What information does Elliot attempt to get from the Denali National Park Service?
5. During Ralston's predicament when surveying a ski race route, what does he have to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Steve Patchett help with the search from New Mexico?
2. What is Ralston's agenda between leaving his house on Spruce Street on Thursday and the Saturday he becomes trapped in the canyon?
3. According to Ralston's perspective, what is happening to time?
4. As time continues in the canyon, what does Ralston's water supply mean to him?
5. What symptoms does Ralston observe about his body and mind that shows signs of dehydration and lack of sleep?
6. Sleepless in the canyon, Ralston is reminded of what other occasion in his life and why?
7. What is the feeling and mood of Ralston's trances?
8. Summarize Brad and Leah's weekend after leaving Ralston near Mount Sopris. Note the circumstances that affects the timing of Ralston's rescue.
9. What does Leona sense about Ralston's current situation from Boulder?
10. What training does Ralston do within a 60 hour period that tells him he is ready for his Denali trip?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)