|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ralston compare his trances and reality to?
(a) "A Christmas Carol" by Dickens.
(b) A plot for a Stephen King book.
(c) "It's A Wonderful Life" starring Ralston.
(d) His trances are like heaven, his reality hell.
2. How does Ralston use his rope bag to keep warm?
(a) He places it over his head.
(b) He draws his legs into it to keep them warm.
(c) He ties it around his torso.
(d) He wraps it around his shoulders like a shawl.
3. In an effort to free himself once more, what does Ralston successfully do on the fourth day?
(a) Makes a successful tourniquet to try and amputate his arm.
(b) Lifts a little bit of the chockstone with his makeshift pulley.
(c) Makes a successful pulley system.
(d) Breaks through skin during an amputation attempt.
4. In addition to a helicopter, what other search group is called out to Horseshoe Canyon?
(a) National Association of Search and Rescue.
(b) Forest Service firefighting volunteer crew.
(c) The Albuquerque Mountain Rescue Council.
(d) A horse-team from Wayne County.
5. What is different on Thursday morning than from all of Ralston's other mornings in the canyon?
(a) No "sun salute".
(b) No music in his head.
(c) No ravens fly by.
(d) No mosquitos today.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leona assume when she does not see Ralston at her going away party?
2. Who does he meet on his hike out of the canyon?
3. What is different about his last trance compared to all the other previous trances?
4. Where is Mr. Ralston when Brian notifies his wife of their missing son?
5. As the two hikers Ralston meets earlier on Saturday leave the canyon, what happens that makes one of them think Ralston is already gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the amputation that eventually leads Ralston to the helicopter?
2. Summarize Brad and Leah's weekend after leaving Ralston near Mount Sopris. Note the circumstances that affects the timing of Ralston's rescue.
3. What training does Ralston do within a 60 hour period that tells him he is ready for his Denali trip?
4. What does Ralston realize about his arm that causes him to panic and wildly thrash around trying to free himself?
5. Describe common themes in Ralston's memories.
6. How does Steve Patchett help with the search from New Mexico?
7. How does Donna react to Brian's initial phone call? How does her reaction compare to Ralston's characteristics?
8. Once Ralston is missing, how does his friends handle the situation?
9. How does Ralston's trances help him?
10. What characteristics of Ralston returns once safe in the helicopter and hospital?
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)