|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When climbing Humphrey's Peak, what danger does Ralston encounter?
(a) Thunder and lightning.
(b) An avalanche.
(c) A grizzly bear.
(d) A cougar.
2. What is the "sun salute"?
(a) A favorite marching band song Ralston hums to keep himself busy.
(b) Ralston calls out "Good morning sun!" at 8:15 AM every morning since being trapped.
(c) Ralston salutes the sun every morning, happy to see it.
(d) Ralston reaches out to feel direct sun rays on his legs.
3. How many fourteeners does Ralston climb in Colorado?
(a) 48 of 59.
(b) 24 of 60.
(c) 36 of 59.
(d) 30 of 50.
4. In his first log, what is one thing Ralston mentions?
(a) The two hikers he meets on this trip.
(b) Memories of climbing the "fourteeners".
(c) How he gets to where he is at now.
(d) Plans on how to get out.
5. What excites Ralston most when he summits Maroon Bells in the wintertime?
(a) He gets a news story about him.
(b) He set a record of fastest climb up Maroon Bells.
(c) He does it five hrs faster than in summertime.
(d) The sunset over Pyramids Peak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralston do with his urine by day three in the canyon?
2. What does Ralston realize about the noises he hears?
3. What character is used to indicate the location of the party Ralston mentions to the other hikers?
4. Silver Tip escapes after how many years in prison?
5. How is Ralston saved from the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What external events serve as a reminder to Ralston that he is lucky despite his risky adventures?
2. What are some of the possible outcomes when Ralston initially ponders after he pins his arm?
3. Although Ralston usually prepares himself before setting out on his adventures, what event(s) occur(s) at Havasupai that shows Ralston does not always look before he leaps?
4. How is Jack Moore connected to Butch Cassidy?
5. What does "Geologic Time Includes Now" mean?
6. Describe the sequence of events that occurs after Ralston and his friends ski Resolution Peak.
7. How do you describe the feeling Ralston has at the peak of the Maroon Bells in wintertime?
8. Although Ralston is adventurous, what are some instances in which he shows his rational side before jumping into situations?
9. Other than the technical skills Ralston learns from his friends about the outdoors, how does Ralston use his educational background to help him in the canyon?
10. Although Ralston is trapped, why does he find it important to keep track of his bicycle lock key?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)