|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ralston returns from his trip to Mount Holy Cross, what news does he hear about his friends?
(a) One dies in a ski accident, another is in the ICU from a snowboard accident.
(b) They are hospitalized from a ski and snowboard accident.
(c) They are hospitalized from an avalanche.
(d) They are missing from a backcountry ski trip.
2. What does Ralston decide to do as Chad takes photos of Havasupai Creek?
(a) Tackle Chad into the river.
(b) Cannonball into the river.
(c) Go for a swim.
(d) Dive into the river with Jean-Marc.
3. How many hours of darkness must Ralston survive through each night?
4. After the near drowning incident, what does Ralston share with Sonja that night?
(a) Ralston reports how he no longer wants to solo climb.
(b) Ralston states that it is the coolest thing he's ever done.
(d) Ralston confides his fear of dying in the river.
5. Why does Ralston recount his recent solo adventures?
(a) To get invited to more climbing trips.
(b) To humble a bragging friend.
(c) To get a news story on his upcoming climb.
(d) To impress a friend he admires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the place in which Ralston is trapped?
2. Despite the futility of chipping away at the chockstone, why does Ralston continue to do so?
3. Ralston is employed by what company after graduation?
4. What adage does Rob Cooper use to discuss with Ralston?
5. What is one example of Ralston's resourcefulness to keep warm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Other than the technical skills Ralston learns from his friends about the outdoors, how does Ralston use his educational background to help him in the canyon?
2. Compare Warren MacDonald and Betty Darr and their relationship to Ralston.
3. What becomes of the second rate Wild Bunch boys from Roost Canyon?
4. How is Jack Moore connected to Butch Cassidy?
5. Although Ralston is adventurous, what are some instances in which he shows his rational side before jumping into situations?
6. What does the sheriff's posse think of the outlaws?
7. Describe Ralston's reaction to a black bear in his campground on his first solo overnighter?
8. How does Ralston's attitude about the outdoors change over time while growing up?
9. Ralston responds to his near-drowning in a couple different ways. How does his discussion with his sister differ from the way he reacts in front of his friends.
10. Describe the sequence of events that occurs after Ralston and his friends ski Resolution Peak.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)