|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the near drowning incident, what does Ralston share with Sonja that night?
(a) Ralston states that it is the coolest thing he's ever done.
(b) Ralston reports how he no longer wants to solo climb.
(c) Ralston confides his fear of dying in the river.
2. Considering Ralston's risky adventures, how does he see himself dying?
(a) A slow death, such as his current predicament.
(b) On his death bed, due to natural causes.
(c) Abruptly, such as in a fall.
(d) Jumping a cliff on skis.
3. Conserving water, how often does Ralston takes sips in the beginning of his entrapment?
(a) Once an hour.
(b) After each successful flake is chipped away.
(c) Every 90 minutes.
(d) Every two hours.
4. What sound does Ralston compare the beginning of an avalanche to?
(a) A large crash.
(b) A diesel engine.
(c) A sonic boom.
(d) An oncoming train.
5. What is one example of Ralston's resourcefulness to keep warm?
(a) He huddles close to the chockstone and wall.
(b) He tucks his head into his Camelbak.
(c) He turns the digital camera bag into a makeshift sleeve.
(d) He runs in place to keep warm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ralston decide to do as Chad takes photos of Havasupai Creek?
2. After Humphrey's peak, what does Ralston share with his friend Mark?
3. How does Ralston document his ordeal?
4. Indian Ed is suspected to go to what state after the gang's separation?
5. Who is Ralston most impressed by during his ski trip with the Albuquerque Mountain Rescue Council?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you describe the feeling Ralston has at the peak of the Maroon Bells in wintertime?
2. What does "Geologic Time Includes Now" mean?
3. Describe John Griffith's skills that help him survive the wild west.
4. Describe Ralston's reaction to a black bear in his campground on his first solo overnighter?
5. Describe the possible consequences Ralston faces if he decides to amputate his arm.
6. How is Jack Moore connected to Butch Cassidy?
7. Even before the expected predicament of Ralston occurs, what conversation foreshadows the eerie feeling of the canyon?
8. What does Ralston consider his morning routine and why is it important to him?
9. Ralston responds to his near-drowning in a couple different ways. How does his discussion with his sister differ from the way he reacts in front of his friends.
10. What "clothing" does Ralston makeshift for himself to keep warm at night? What else does he do to stay warm from the chill?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)