|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ralston reminisces about which family friend that is known to be full of positive thinking and attitude?
(a) Betsy Downing.
(b) Daria Boyd.
(c) Betty Darr.
(d) Lily McDonald.
2. What is the name of the place in which Ralston is trapped?
(a) Blue John Canyon.
(b) Boulder Canyon.
(c) Blue John Gap.
(d) Red Canyon.
3. When Ralston recounts his adventures, how does his friend react?
(a) He is impressed and jealous.
(b) Unimpressed, he reminds Ralston "as long as it makes you happy."
(c) He invites Ralston on an upcoming climbing trip.
(d) He tries to tell a more impressive story.
4. At Mount Holy Cross, what close call does Ralston encounter?
(b) A cornice collapse he is one step away from.
(d) A thunder and lightning storm.
5. What happens when Ralston attempts to hammer the blade with a large rock?
(a) The rock flicks the knife into a hole at his feet.
(b) The rock breaks to pieces in his hands.
(c) The rock wedges the blade into the boulder.
(d) Ralston misses and creates a large bruise.
6. Of the listed items, which is found in Ralston's pack?
(a) A folding knife.
(b) An emergency candle.
(c) A multi-tool.
(d) An emergency blanket.
7. Ralston's fascination with canyons stems from what time in his life?
(a) A school fieldtrip across Colorado.
(b) A family vacation to Utah and Grand Canyon.
(c) Outdoor adventure camp.
(d) Photographic books from a family friend.
8. What part of Ralston's arm is crushed between the boulder and the canyon wall?
(a) Just above the elbow.
(b) The top of the palm.
(c) At the shoulder.
(d) Near the wrist.
9. What does Ralston do with his urine by day three in the canyon?
(a) He drinks sips of it to survive.
(b) He tries to urinate as far away as possible to prevent odors.
(c) He saves it as future hydration.
(d) He does not have the need to urinate due to dehydration.
10. Ralston is employed by what company after graduation?
11. Who is John Griffith's first employer?
(a) Harvey's Ranchers.
(b) Dom's Meats.
(c) Ted's Cattlemen.
(d) Harris cattle operation.
12. When Ralston hears about his friends, what feeling does that instill in him?
(a) A sense of extreme luckiness.
(b) He feels he can do anything without getting hurt.
(c) He feels tougher with all that he's been through.
(d) Anger that it isn't him instead.
13. According to the ranger at Teton, what do you do if you decide to throw rocks at a black bear?
(a) Hide in the bushes and ambush the bear with lots of rocks.
(b) Shout, wave your arms in the air, stomp aggressively, then throw the rocks.
(c) Say, "Hey you! Stop following me," then throw rocks.
(d) Throw and run.
14. As a raft guide, Ralston takes his friends on a night trip to what canyon?
(a) Colorado River.
(b) Brown's Canyon.
(c) Charlie's Canyon.
(d) Mary Jane Rapids.
15. Why does Ralston recount his recent solo adventures?
(a) To get invited to more climbing trips.
(b) To humble a bragging friend.
(c) To get a news story on his upcoming climb.
(d) To impress a friend he admires.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite the futility of chipping away at the chockstone, why does Ralston continue to do so?
2. To keep some form of control, what is one relatively trivial thing Ralston does?
3. When Ralston returns from his trip to Mount Holy Cross, what news does he hear about his friends?
4. Sonja moves to what state for college?
5. Why does Ralston acknowledge Warren MacDonald in his time of entrapment?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)