|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ralston recounts his adventures, how does his friend react?
(a) He invites Ralston on an upcoming climbing trip.
(b) He tries to tell a more impressive story.
(c) Unimpressed, he reminds Ralston "as long as it makes you happy."
(d) He is impressed and jealous.
2. As a raft guide, Ralston takes his friends on a night trip to what canyon?
(a) Mary Jane Rapids.
(b) Charlie's Canyon.
(c) Brown's Canyon.
(d) Colorado River.
3. What excites Ralston most when he summits Maroon Bells in the wintertime?
(a) He gets a news story about him.
(b) He set a record of fastest climb up Maroon Bells.
(c) The sunset over Pyramids Peak.
(d) He does it five hrs faster than in summertime.
4. What is Ralston's biggest risk that can cause his death?
(b) Heart attack.
(c) Flash flood.
5. What happens when Ralston attempts to hammer the blade with a large rock?
(a) The rock flicks the knife into a hole at his feet.
(b) The rock breaks to pieces in his hands.
(c) The rock wedges the blade into the boulder.
(d) Ralston misses and creates a large bruise.
6. What does Ralston find and pick up to stick in his hat while hiking?
(a) A hawk's tail feather.
(b) Crow feathers.
(c) An eagle's tail feather.
(d) A raven's feather.
7. What does Ralston realize about the noises he hears?
(a) The noises are getting closer.
(b) The noises are getting further away.
(c) The noises are a figment of his imagination.
(d) The noises are angels.
8. What is one example of Ralston's resourcefulness to keep warm?
(a) He tucks his head into his Camelbak.
(b) He huddles close to the chockstone and wall.
(c) He turns the digital camera bag into a makeshift sleeve.
(d) He runs in place to keep warm.
9. What does Ralston make out of the elastic tubing insulation from his Camelbak?
(a) A tourniquet.
(b) A pulley.
(c) An animal trap.
(d) A noose.
10. Why does Ralston recount his recent solo adventures?
(a) To get a news story on his upcoming climb.
(b) To impress a friend he admires.
(c) To get invited to more climbing trips.
(d) To humble a bragging friend.
11. Sonja spends Thanksgiving camping at Havasupai Canyon with whom?
(a) Ralston, Jean-Marc, and Chad.
(b) Her brother and old high school friends.
(c) Aron Ralston.
(d) The entire family.
12. What does Ralston do with his urine by day three in the canyon?
(a) He tries to urinate as far away as possible to prevent odors.
(b) He saves it as future hydration.
(c) He drinks sips of it to survive.
(d) He does not have the need to urinate due to dehydration.
13. At Mount Holy Cross, what close call does Ralston encounter?
(a) A cornice collapse he is one step away from.
(d) A thunder and lightning storm.
14. What is the "sun salute"?
(a) Ralston reaches out to feel direct sun rays on his legs.
(b) Ralston salutes the sun every morning, happy to see it.
(c) A favorite marching band song Ralston hums to keep himself busy.
(d) Ralston calls out "Good morning sun!" at 8:15 AM every morning since being trapped.
15. What does Ralston attempt to make to remove the chockstone?
(a) A lever system.
(b) A hammer with his blade and a rock.
(c) A makeshift pulley.
(d) A wedge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the leader of this gang?
2. In Spring of 2002, Ralston quits Intel to do what?
3. Where does the gang separate after a shootout?
4. What is John Griffith's first job?
5. What does Ralston end up using to make a successful tourniquet?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)