|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During a hike at Havasupai Canyon, what happens to Ralston near Beaver Falls?
(a) Falls into the river and almost drowns.
(b) Swims into a beaver lodge and encounters angry tenants.
(c) Falls into prickly-pear cacti.
(d) Trips over the edge of a log dam and falls into nearby cacti.
2. Ralston is employed by what company after graduation?
3. What does Ralston find and pick up to stick in his hat while hiking?
(a) A raven's feather.
(b) A hawk's tail feather.
(c) An eagle's tail feather.
(d) Crow feathers.
4. Silver Tip escapes after how many years in prison?
5. During this nighttime rafting trip, how does Ralston discern whether there are rapids in the dark?
(a) By sitting in front to listen ahead.
(b) Ralston tests the waters with his oars.
(c) Ralston memorizes the rapids from earlier trips.
(d) If the stars reflect off the water, it is calm.
6. Considering Ralston's risky adventures, how does he see himself dying?
(a) On his death bed, due to natural causes.
(b) Jumping a cliff on skis.
(c) Abruptly, such as in a fall.
(d) A slow death, such as his current predicament.
7. What disease does Betty contract as a child?
8. With what famous gang does the person bearing this region's name run with?
(a) The Crazy Bunch.
(b) The Wild Westerners.
(c) Harris's Cattle Ranchers.
(d) The Wild Bunch.
9. According to the ranger at Teton, what do you do if you decide to throw rocks at a black bear?
(a) Throw and run.
(b) Say, "Hey you! Stop following me," then throw rocks.
(c) Shout, wave your arms in the air, stomp aggressively, then throw the rocks.
(d) Hide in the bushes and ambush the bear with lots of rocks.
10. Of the listed items, which is found in Ralston's pack?
(a) An emergency blanket.
(b) A folding knife.
(c) An emergency candle.
(d) A multi-tool.
11. What causes Ralston's left hand to swell?
(a) The chockstone hit his hand before pinning him.
(b) Hitting his hand with a rock when trying to hammer the knife.
(c) The pressure of the knife trying to chip away the chockstone.
(d) The heat.
12. What does Ralston realize when reflecting on his discussions with Rob Cooper?
(a) Ralston places more value on the achievement than on the journey.
(b) Rob is wrong, Ralston is right.
(c) Rob teaches Ralston to peak fourteeners only if it makes Ralston happy.
(d) That Ralston has the tenacity to live and survive this ordeal.
13. At Mount Holy Cross, what close call does Ralston encounter?
(c) A cornice collapse he is one step away from.
(d) A thunder and lightning storm.
14. In his first log, what is one thing Ralston mentions?
(a) Memories of climbing the "fourteeners".
(b) Plans on how to get out.
(c) How he gets to where he is at now.
(d) The two hikers he meets on this trip.
15. What happens when Ralston attempts to hammer the blade with a large rock?
(a) The rock flicks the knife into a hole at his feet.
(b) The rock breaks to pieces in his hands.
(c) The rock wedges the blade into the boulder.
(d) Ralston misses and creates a large bruise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once in the water, what happens to Ralston?
2. For the first two days, how do you describe Ralston's reaction to the situation?
3. Who is the last to be retrieved from the avalanche?
4. What does Ralston realize about his pinned limb?
5. John Griffith is known to head for what destination?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)