|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Adam want Vicky to call Basil?
2. What does Vicky realize after her talk with her grandfather?
3. Why does Adam think Basil connected to Vicky quickly?
4. Who comes daily to help with Grandfather?
5. Who does Grandfather quote when Vicky is talking with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "A Ring of Endless Light" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "A Ring of Endless Light"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "A Ring of Endless Light" to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "A Ring of Endless Light", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "A Ring of Endless Light". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "A Ring of Endless Light".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "A Ring of Endless Light". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "A Ring of Endless Light". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)