|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adam have possession of that someone else once wanted?
2. What does Vicky feel between her and Zachary?
3. For what does Vicky apologize to Suzy?
4. What does Vicky ask Basil about concerning her grandfather?
5. Why do Suzy's parents want her to stay away from Grandfather?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? What incidences of foreshadowing are in "A Ring of Endless Light"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "A Ring of Endless Light" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from the text of this story, and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "A Ring of Endless Light" is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "A Ring of Endless Light", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "A Ring of Endless Light". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)