|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Vicky have trouble feeling completely relaxed?
2. What does Grandfather question Vicky about concerning Zachary?
3. Why is Vicky relieved to see a young child in the hospital waiting room?
4. Why does Adam think Basil connected to Vicky quickly?
5. What does Vicky feel between her and Zachary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "A Ring of Endless Light".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "A Ring of Endless Light". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "A Ring of Endless Light". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "A Ring of Endless Light" is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "A Ring of Endless Light" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of this story, and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)