|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adam look like to Vicky?
2. About what does Zachary make derogatory remarks?
3. Whose gifts are not as obvious as Suzy's gifts?
4. What pleases Adam about Basil's encounter with Vicky?
5. What does Vicky's father ask her not to do this summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Suzy express about Adam's work with the dolphins, and what is his response?
2. What does Vicky ask Norberta and how does she answer?
3. How does Adam react to Vicky's communications with Basil and with whom is Vicky allowed to talk about the experience with Basil?
4. What difficult request does Grandfather ask of Vicky and what is her reaction?
5. Where does Vicky's family go for a picnic, and what does Vicky think about while they are there?
6. About whom does Adam ask Vicky?
7. Who does Vicky first meet at the marine lab?
8. What does Robin tell Vicky?
9. What does Vicky compare about Adam and Zachary?
10. What happens after Vicky and Zachary go flying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "A Ring of Endless Light", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "A Ring of Endless Light". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot.) Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? What incidences of foreshadowing are in "A Ring of Endless Light"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "A Ring of Endless Light" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from the text of this story, and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think "A Ring of Endless Light" is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)