|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who works with Adam that Vicky knows?
2. With what does John work?
3. What illness does Vicky's grandfather have?
4. Who is Leo?
5. What does Vicky do that Zachary does not?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Vicky and Adam happy when they see Ynid?
2. What do Norberta and Njord do after Norberta communicates with Vicky and how does Vicky communicate with Adam what Norberta tells her?
3. What does Zachary tell Vicky about himself in relation to Commander Rodney?
4. Whose funeral is Vicky attending, and what happened to the man?
5. What creature catches Vicky's eye at the funeral and what does she think it symbolizes?
6. What does Vicky ask Norberta and how does she answer?
7. What is the concern about the swallows and how do Vicky and her siblings solve the problem?
8. Describe the conversation between Zachary and Vicky when he calls after dinner.
9. What does Adam ask Vicky to do with Basil, and what happens?
10. What happens when Vicky swims out to meet Basil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of "A Ring of Endless Light" and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of this story, and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "A Ring of Endless Light" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why this story is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Vicky matures and grows throughout the book.
1. What do you think might be some of the reasons Vicky is maturing? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think Vicky's maturity shown in the book is unrealistic in the short amount of time period the book covers? Why or why not?
3. Discuss the ways that Vicky shows changes in her maturity in the book.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)