|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vicky do after Rob talks to her?
2. What has Rob been doing when Vicky finds him?
3. Where did Vicky meet Zachary?
4. What do the siblings decide to do about the swallow problem?
5. What does Vicky realize about Leo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Vicky and Leo go to the emergency room to donate blood for Grandfather?
2. What does Mrs. Rodney offer to do with Grandfather?
3. What does Vicky learn about how Zachary's mother died?
4. How does Vicky's experience impact her thoughts and feelings?
5. Describe the conversation between Vicky and her grandfather concerning meditation.
6. What does Vicky not tell her siblings about a request her parents make of her?
7. Why does Vicky get angry with Zachary when they are driving to the airport?
8. About what does John wonder when he spies Zachary and how does Vicky react to John's statement?
9. What does Adam discuss with Vicky after she meets Una and Nini?
10. What is the concern about the swallows and how do Vicky and her siblings solve the problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Adam at the beginning of the novel to him at the end of the novel. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they both sympathetic characters? Which "Adam" would you most likely have as a friend? Why?
2. Compare/contrast Zachary at the beginning of the novel to Zachary at the end of the novel. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why?
3. Compare/contrast Leo to Zachary. How are they alike? How are they different? Are they sympathetic characters? Who would you most likely have as a friend? Why? Is each one compassionate? Honorable? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? What incidences of foreshadowing are in "A Ring of Endless Light"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "A Ring of Endless Light" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from the text of this story, and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Adam and Zachary. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Vicky and Suzy. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "A Ring of Endless Light" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)