|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease does Dr. Hadley think the little boy, John, might have?
2. What does Mehuru leave in Frances' bed at the end of Chapter 21?
3. How much is Frances willing to pay towards James's funeral?
4. How can Dr. Hadley be described?
5. What does Josiah realize when he visits the Hot Well?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frances convince Josiah that the child needs to see a doctor?
2. What does Frances's last will and testament reveal?
3. How is Josiah able to get some of the merchants to order slaves of their own?
4. What effect does the bad publicity have on Josiah's Hot Well?
5. How does Mehuru and Frances's intimacy change their relationship?
6. Why does Mehuru want to be paid a wage?
7. Why does Josiah continue to make risky business decisions and borrow money against The Rose?
8. How does Frances stall when it comes to selling the slaves?
9. Describe Dr. Stuart Hadley.
10. What is ironic about Frances's feelings for Mehuru?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Respectable Trade is the title of the novel and represents many "trades" that occur in the novel. Discuss trading that occurs in the novel and whether these examples can be deemed "respectable."
Essay Topic 2
Stephen Waring takes advantage of Josiah Cole in order to move up financially. Analyze Stephen Waring's character. Do you think he is truly mean or a shrewd businessman?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the different social classes. For major characters identify which social class they are a part of.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)