|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Lord Scott's letter to Frances, who does he say is a good acquaintance to have?
2. Where does Mehuru go to talk about Abolition?
3. Why doesn't Lady Scott come to the Hot Well?
4. What does Dr. Hadley tell Mehuru?
5. What does Elizabeth say to Mehuru when she finds out about his love for Frances?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the slaves no longer want to escape?
2. What does Mehuru mean when he says, "Cicero was born here."
3. Why is Frances upset with her deceased parents?
4. Why does Frances write to her uncle about her love problems even though she disguises herself as an acquaintance?
5. How will Sarah react now that she is no longer allowed to do the bookkeeping?
6. Why is Frances afraid to allow herself to love Mehuru?
7. Why does Dr. Hadley think Mehuru and Frances's relationship is dangerous ?
8. How does Frances stall when it comes to selling the slaves?
9. How does Frances convince Josiah that the child needs to see a doctor?
10. How does Frances begin to view the slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed is a prominent theme in the novel. Discuss what role greed plays in the novel and how it affects the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Sarah is a protective and resentful woman. Analyze the character of Sarah and cite examples in which she exemplifies both resentment and protectiveness.
Essay Topic 3
Irony occurs throughout the novel. Cite three examples of irony.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)