|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Frances at the end of the novel?
2. In Chapter 28, what does Mehuru find out after reading Lord Scott's letter?
3. What does Josiah tell Sarah about The Rose?
4. When Josiah argues with Sarah, what does he tell her about their possessions and land?
5. As the novel concludes, what has happened to the Cole's finances?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth call Mehuru a "poor, foolish man" when she realizes he loves Frances?
2. Why is Frances afraid to allow herself to love Mehuru?
3. Why does Frances write to her uncle about her love problems even though she disguises herself as an acquaintance?
4. Why does Dr. Hadley think Mehuru and Frances's relationship is dangerous ?
5. Why does Josiah continue to make risky business decisions and borrow money against The Rose?
6. How does Josiah feel about the Merchant Venturers once they drop the charges?
7. What does Frances's last will and testament reveal?
8. Why is Frances upset with her deceased parents?
9. Why do the slaves no longer want to escape?
10. How does Frances stall when it comes to selling the slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in A Respectable Trade is that of social status. Explain the role of social status in the lives of Frances and Josiah.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the different social classes. For major characters identify which social class they are a part of.
Essay Topic 3
Stephen Waring takes advantage of Josiah Cole in order to move up financially. Analyze Stephen Waring's character. Do you think he is truly mean or a shrewd businessman?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)