|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Josiah argues with Sarah, what does he tell her about their possessions and land?
2. What does Sarah discover when she sees the ships' books?
3. In Chapter 18, what does Josiah tell Frances that worries her?
4. Where does Josiah decide to sleep at night?
5. Where does Mehuru go to talk about Abolition?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lord Scott respond to Frances's letter about her relationship issues?
2. How does Mehuru and Frances's intimacy change their relationship?
3. What effect does the bad publicity have on Josiah's Hot Well?
4. Why is Frances upset with her deceased parents?
5. Why does Dr. Hadley think Mehuru and Frances's relationship is dangerous ?
6. Why is Sarah against giving the dead slave a proper burial?
7. What does Frances's last will and testament reveal?
8. Why does Elizabeth call Mehuru a "poor, foolish man" when she realizes he loves Frances?
9. Why does Mehuru want to be paid a wage?
10. What is ironic about Frances's feelings for Mehuru?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A Respectable Trade is the title of the novel and represents many "trades" that occur in the novel. Discuss trading that occurs in the novel and whether these examples can be deemed "respectable."
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel Josiah and Frances desire status. Comparing their desire for status to today's society, identify examples of what people consider proof of status today.
Essay Topic 3
Josiah Cole was both good and bad. Discuss what you thought of Josiah Cole and why.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)