|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Josiah say would happen to their income if slavery was banned?
2. What happens when Mehuru wakes Frances to tell her about John?
3. What do Mehuru and Frances do together in Chapter 20?
4. When Josiah argues with Sarah, what does he tell her about their possessions and land?
5. What does Frances want to do for James?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does the bad publicity have on Josiah's Hot Well?
2. Why does Josiah take the bookkeeping away from Sarah?
3. What does Frances's last will and testament reveal?
4. How is Josiah able to get some of the merchants to order slaves of their own?
5. How does Josiah feel about the Merchant Venturers once they drop the charges?
6. Why does Josiah continue to make risky business decisions and borrow money against The Rose?
7. How does Frances convince Josiah that the child needs to see a doctor?
8. How does Lord Scott respond to Frances's letter about her relationship issues?
9. Describe Dr. Stuart Hadley.
10. Why does Mehuru tell Frances the only way he can be her friend is if he is free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women in the novel all show they have different capabilities, but because of the time period women are not given power. Discuss the roles that at least three women play in the novel. How would the novel have been different if women were empowered?
Essay Topic 2
The media plays various roles in the novel. Analyze and discuss how the media helps and hinders characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Sarah and Frances share a lot throughout the novel. Although they have some similarities, they are extremely different. Discuss these similarities and differences.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)