|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mehuru find it hard to stand up straight?
2. What risk does Josiah take with his ship, The Rose?
3. How many slaves does Josiah say have been taken out of Africa due to the slave trade?
4. How does Josiah react when he finds out one of the slaves has died?
5. How many ships do The Cole's own?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean when Mehuru taps on the table in order to communicate to the others?
2. After Siko and Mehuru are taken, what does Mehuru assume will happen once he can speak with someone of authority?
3. When Josiah refers to Frances's furniture as "old stuff," what does this reveal about him?
4. Describe Sarah Cole.
5. Why does Frances think her parents would be unhappy with her?
6. What does Frances learn about the slaves when they arrive at her home?
7. Describe Josiah.
8. Why do you think Sarah suggests they call Sir Charles for advice on the slaves?
9. Why does Mehuru doubt Frances's sincerity and emotion?
10. Why do the slaves say their names are "Despair," "Homeless," "Grief," and "Died of Shame?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The media plays various roles in the novel. Analyze and discuss how the media helps and hinders characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Stuart Hadley is considered a radical who fights for the abolition of slavery. Choose someone in history who was a radical, and compare this person to Stuart Hadley.
Essay Topic 3
Sarah and Frances share a lot throughout the novel. Although they have some similarities, they are extremely different. Discuss these similarities and differences.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)