|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Mehuru and Siko in Chapter 2?
2. What does Dies of Shame ask Mehuru?
3. How can Josiah and Sarah Cole's apartment be described?
4. What does Frances change Mehuru's name to?
5. What is the first word Frances teaches the slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Josiah Cole feels towards Sir Charles?
2. Is Mehuru respected by the other slaves?
3. What does it mean when Mehuru taps on the table in order to communicate to the others?
4. Why do the slaves moan with "Died of Shame?"
5. What dream does Mehuru have that comes true?
6. Why does Mehuru doubt Frances's sincerity and emotion?
7. When Josiah refers to Frances's furniture as "old stuff," what does this reveal about him?
8. Why is Sarah pleased with Frances after their lunch with Sir Charles?
9. What concerns the slaves about the way in which Died of Shame was buried?
10. Why do you think Sarah suggests they call Sir Charles for advice on the slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women in the novel all show they have different capabilities, but because of the time period women are not given power. Discuss the roles that at least three women play in the novel. How would the novel have been different if women were empowered?
Essay Topic 2
Sarah is a protective and resentful woman. Analyze the character of Sarah and cite examples in which she exemplifies both resentment and protectiveness.
Essay Topic 3
Sarah and Frances share a lot throughout the novel. Although they have some similarities, they are extremely different. Discuss these similarities and differences.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)