|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the ship that Josiah's father used to start the business?
2. What are Frances and Josiah hoping will happen after their move to Queens Square?
3. How many ships do The Cole's own?
4. How does Josiah feel about Sir Charles's actions in Chapter 10?
5. What day does Frances tell the new neighbors they receive guests?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frances feel about Died of Shame's death?
2. Why do the slaves moan with "Died of Shame?"
3. How does Sarah feel about moving into a new home and away from their Quayside apartment?
4. What concerns the slaves about the way in which Died of Shame was buried?
5. How do you think Josiah Cole feels towards Sir Charles?
6. What risk does Josiah take when he sends The Rose out to sea?
7. Describe the letter correspondence that occurs between Josiah Cole and Frances Scott.
8. Describe Josiah's first interaction with Stephen Waring.
9. Describe Sarah Cole.
10. What does Frances learn about the slaves when they arrive at her home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women in the novel all show they have different capabilities, but because of the time period women are not given power. Discuss the roles that at least three women play in the novel. How would the novel have been different if women were empowered?
Essay Topic 2
Letters are used as a form of correspondence in the novel. Explain the role of letters in the novel and what kind of effect this style of writing has on the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used throughout the novel. Cite three examples of foreshadowing.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)