|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Josiah do most of his negotiating and socializing?
2. What is the primary decor of The Cole's new house in Queens Square?
3. How does Lord Scott react to Josiah's proposal to Frances?
4. At the end of Chapter 3, what has Mehuru prepared himself for?
5. In Chapter 16, how would Frances describe her first Christmas with The Cole's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Sarah suggests they call Sir Charles for advice on the slaves?
2. What dream does Mehuru have that comes true?
3. Why do the slaves say their names are "Despair," "Homeless," "Grief," and "Died of Shame?"
4. When Josiah refers to Frances's furniture as "old stuff," what does this reveal about him?
5. Do you think Sarah respects Frances?
6. What does Frances learn about the slaves when they arrive at her home?
7. How do you think Josiah Cole feels towards Sir Charles?
8. What concerns the slaves about the way in which Died of Shame was buried?
9. Describe Sarah Cole.
10. What risk does Josiah take when he sends The Rose out to sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The media plays various roles in the novel. Analyze and discuss how the media helps and hinders characters in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
A Respectable Trade is the title of the novel and represents many "trades" that occur in the novel. Discuss trading that occurs in the novel and whether these examples can be deemed "respectable."
Essay Topic 3
Forbidden love is a theme that occurs in the novel. Discuss how forbidden love occurs in the novel.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)