|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Josiah decide to sleep at night?
(a) The backyard.
(b) On one of his ships.
(c) The old quayside apartment.
(d) Frances' bed.
2. In Chapter 19, what are the slaves doing in kitchen that surprises Frances?
(a) Singing and dancing.
(c) Cooking an English meal.
(d) Writing lettters.
3. What does Frances want to do for James?
(a) Take him to London.
(b) Take him to the Hot Well.
(c) Give him a proper burial.
(d) Throw him a birthday party.
4. How much is Frances willing to pay towards James's funeral?
(a) She will pay for only a pauper funeral.
(b) She will pay all expenses.
(c) She will pay half the expense.
(d) She decides against paying anything.
5. In Chapter 25, who does Sarah warn Josiah about?
(b) Mr. Waring.
(c) Sir Charles.
(d) Dr. Hadley.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mehuru fetches Dr. Hadley, what smell overpowers them in Queens Square?
2. What begins to consume Josiah's thoughts?
3. Why does Mehuru laugh when Frances tells him about Christianity?
4. Who does Mehuru tell Frances Cicero is?
5. Who has been caring for James?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mehuru want to be paid a wage?
2. What is ironic about Frances's feelings for Mehuru?
3. What is worrisome about the Hot Well?
4. What effect does the bad publicity have on Josiah's Hot Well?
5. How does Mehuru and Frances's intimacy change their relationship?
6. Describe Stephen Waring.
7. Why does Mehuru tell Frances the only way he can be her friend is if he is free?
8. How does Frances stall when it comes to selling the slaves?
9. How will Sarah react now that she is no longer allowed to do the bookkeeping?
10. What does Mehuru mean when he says, "Cicero was born here."
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)