|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the novel concludes, what has happened to the Cole's finances?
(a) The Hot Well turns a profit.
(b) The Rose comes in and they are saved.
(c) Frances has stolen their savings.
(d) They have no money and they have been taken advantage of.
2. In Chapter 18, what does Sarah tell Frances about their financial situation?
(a) They are in debt.
(b) They have income from slave trading.
(c) They are wealthy.
(d) They are losing the house.
3. What does Sarah say about Frances's dowry?
(a) It was used to clena the ship.
(b) It was used for Sarh's dresses.
(c) It was used to buy the house.
(d) It was used to buy slaves.
4. What was Mehuru astounded to learn?
(a) There are only ten free black slaves in Bristol.
(b) There are thousands of free black slaves.
(c) There are thousands of slaves in Bristol.
(d) There are thousands of slaves buried under the coffeehouse.
5. After Mehuru speaks to Frances, how does she respond that surprises Mehuru?
(a) She tells him he is just a slave.
(b) She complains about how expensive slaves are.
(c) She screams fo Josiah.
(d) She speaks to him coldly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah discover when she sees the ships' books?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Josiah tell Frances that worries her?
3. What does Josiah do that causes a law suit?
4. Where does Stephen Waring say is the fashionable place to be?
5. What does Josiah take away from Sarah?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lord Scott respond to Frances's letter about her relationship issues?
2. Describe Stephen Waring.
3. How will Sarah react now that she is no longer allowed to do the bookkeeping?
4. Why is Frances upset with her deceased parents?
5. How does Frances convince Josiah that the child needs to see a doctor?
6. Why is Frances afraid to allow herself to love Mehuru?
7. What does Mehuru mean when he says, "Cicero was born here."
8. What does Sarah discover about the business in Chapter 29?
9. How does Josiah feel about the Merchant Venturers once they drop the charges?
10. What does Frances's last will and testament reveal?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)