|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Chpater 23, what happens when Mehuru returns to Frances's room?
(a) They make love.
(c) She tells him to go away.
(d) He tells her he is sorry for kssing her.
2. What has happened to the ship, The Rose, at the end of the novel?
(a) It docks with only 50 slaves.
(b) It was hijacked.
(c) No one knows and it never returns to port.
(d) The boat sunk.
3. After Mehuru speaks to Frances, how does she respond that surprises Mehuru?
(a) She complains about how expensive slaves are.
(b) She screams fo Josiah.
(c) She tells him he is just a slave.
(d) She speaks to him coldly.
4. In Chapter 21, what does Mehuru tell Frances about friendship?
(a) "Black and whites cannot be friends."
(b) "Only a free man can give friendship."
(c) "I have never had a friend."
(d) "Only lonely people need friends."
5. In Lord Scott's letter to Frances, who does he say is a good acquaintance to have?
(a) Sir Charles.
(c) Mr. Shores.
(d) Mr. Waring.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which holiday is disappointing for Frances in Chapter 19?
2. What kind of decor does Frances think the Hot Well needs?
3. In Chapter 19, what are the slaves doing in kitchen that surprises Frances?
4. What does Josiah take away from Sarah?
5. What does Elizabeth say to Mehuru when she finds out about his love for Frances?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is worrisome about the Hot Well?
2. Why does Josiah take the bookkeeping away from Sarah?
3. How does Mehuru and Frances's intimacy change their relationship?
4. Describe Dr. Stuart Hadley.
5. What is ironic about Frances's feelings for Mehuru?
6. Why does Mehuru tell Frances the only way he can be her friend is if he is free?
7. What does Mehuru mean when he says, "Cicero was born here."
8. What does Sarah discover about the business in Chapter 29?
9. Why does Dr. Hadley think Mehuru and Frances's relationship is dangerous ?
10. How will Sarah react now that she is no longer allowed to do the bookkeeping?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)