|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Josiah say would happen to their income if slavery was banned?
(a) They would break even.
(b) They would be set for life.
(c) They would profit since slaves would be at a premium.
(d) They would lose everything.
2. What does Dr. Hadley tell Mehuru?
(a) That Mehuru should feel lucky to be owned by The Cole's.
(b) That he is strong.
(c) That slaves have rights.
(d) That he would like to buy Mehuru.
3. Why is Frances so upset at the end of Chapter 19?
(a) She misses her Uncle Scott.
(b) She wishes she could dance.
(c) She realizes she is in love with Mehuru.
(d) She feels sick.
4. What does Sarah discover when she sees the ships' books?
(a) Josiah stopped tracking money.
(b) How much debt has been accumulated.
(c) Fracnes' bills for gowns.
(d) Extra money.
5. What does Josiah tell Mr. Waring he would be interested in leasing?
(a) A ship.
(b) His horse.
(c) The Hot Well.
(d) His coal mine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Josiah do that causes a law suit?
2. What room in The Cole's house was considered neutral where everyone gathered?
3. Which holiday is disappointing for Frances in Chapter 19?
4. What does Josiah's lawyer advise him to do when Josiah is summoned?
5. What do Mehuru and Frances discover when they go for a carriage ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Josiah able to get some of the merchants to order slaves of their own?
2. Why does Dr. Hadley think Mehuru and Frances's relationship is dangerous ?
3. What does Frances's last will and testament reveal?
4. How does Lord Scott respond to Frances's letter about her relationship issues?
5. How does Mehuru and Frances's intimacy change their relationship?
6. How does Frances stall when it comes to selling the slaves?
7. Why do the slaves no longer want to escape?
8. Why is Sarah against giving the dead slave a proper burial?
9. What is ironic about Frances's feelings for Mehuru?
10. What is worrisome about the Hot Well?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)