|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why wasn't John Bates still watching the slaves?
(a) The slaves no longer tried to escape.
(b) Josiah found out about the rape.
(c) Frances fired him.
(d) he was killed.
2. In Chapter 18, what does Sarah tell Frances about their financial situation?
(a) They are in debt.
(b) They have income from slave trading.
(c) They are wealthy.
(d) They are losing the house.
3. In Chapter 23, what does Caesar tell Mehuru that causes Mehuru to become emotional?
(a) He will have sons in Africa.
(b) He will remain enslaved.
(c) He will remain in England.
(d) He will marry Frances.
4. With what money were the Cole's slaves purchased?
(a) With Frances's dowry.
(b) With the profits from The Rose.
(c) With a loan from Mr. Waring.
(d) With Josiah's inheritance.
5. In Chapter 25, why won't Josiah listen to Sarah's warning in regard to money?
(a) He hates her.
(b) She reminds Josiah of his mother.
(c) Frances tells him not to.
(d) He is afraid he might be wrong.
6. In Lord Scott's letter to Frances, who does he say is a good acquaintance to have?
(a) Mr. Waring.
(b) Mr. Shores.
(d) Sir Charles.
7. What was Mehuru astounded to learn?
(a) There are thousands of free black slaves.
(b) There are thousands of slaves in Bristol.
(c) There are thousands of slaves buried under the coffeehouse.
(d) There are only ten free black slaves in Bristol.
8. What does Elizabeth say to Mehuru when she finds out about his love for Frances?
(a) "Does Josiah know?"
(c) "You poor foolish man."
(d) "You will have a long fight ahead of you."
9. What does Mehuru envision when Elizabeth asks what is wrong with Frances?
(a) Small pox.
(d) A murmur in her heart.
10. What does Josiah insist he will invest in?
(b) The Hot Well.
11. What does Frances reveal to Mehuru when they converse in her bedroom?
(a) Franes is divorcing Josiah.
(b) Mehuru has been sold for 110 guineas.
(c) Elizabeth is sick.
(d) Mehuru is free.
12. What happens when Mehuru wakes Frances to tell her about John?
(a) Frances slaps Mehuru.
(b) He kisses Frances.
(c) Frances does not care.
(d) Mehuru becomes frightened.
13. Who has been caring for James?
14. In Chapter 25, who does Sarah warn Josiah about?
(a) Dr. Hadley.
(b) Mr. Waring.
(d) Sir Charles.
15. Where does Stephen Waring say is the fashionable place to be?
(d) Hot Well.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can Dr. Hadley be described?
2. What happens when Lord Scott tells Mehuru to put on his collar?
3. At the beginning of chapter 22, what does Frances ask Josiah for?
4. How much is Frances willing to pay towards James's funeral?
5. As the novel concludes, what has happened to the Cole's finances?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)