|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 19, what are the slaves doing in kitchen that surprises Frances?
(a) Singing and dancing.
(b) Writing lettters.
(d) Cooking an English meal.
2. What does Mehuru admit to Frances?
(a) He has been attending aboltion meetings.
(b) Josiah has been beating him.
(c) He is marrying Elizabeth.
(d) He wants to live in London.
3. Where does Josiah decide to sleep at night?
(a) The backyard.
(b) On one of his ships.
(c) Frances' bed.
(d) The old quayside apartment.
4. What does Sarah convince Josiah to do?
(a) Divorce Frances.
(b) Search for The Rose.
(c) Sue The Merchant Venturers.
(d) Let everything go and move back to the quayside apartment.
5. In Chapter 30, why is Josiah so irritated with Frances?
(a) He realizes he is in over his head financially.
(b) He finds her advice useless.
(c) Frances has been mean to Sarah.
(d) He finds out about Mehuru.
6. What advice does Josiah seek from Frances?
(a) What he should invest in next.
(b) Advice on what to do with the Hot Well.
(c) How to handle his sister.
(d) Advice about Sir Charles.
7. What happens when Lord Scott tells Mehuru to put on his collar?
(a) Elizabeth runs to protect him.
(b) Frances protests.
(c) He refuses and Josiah punches him.
(d) He obeys.
8. At the end of Chapter 18, why does Josiah come home drunk and happy?
(a) They are now debt free.
(b) Frances is pregnant.
(c) His ship Lily came in.
(d) He was asked to be a member of the Merchant Venturers.
9. What do Mehuru and Frances do together in Chapter 20?
(a) Stroll around town.
(b) Take the ferry.
(d) Go horseback riding.
10. Who does Mehuru tell Frances Cicero is?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Sarah's ex husband.
(c) The slave Frances created.
(d) A pagan.
11. How does Frances feel about owning slaves?
12. What advice does Lord Scott give Frances in his letter?
(a) Talk to Josiah about it.
(b) Divorce and be single.
(c) Follow her heart.
(d) Stay married and do not mix ranks in society.
13. In Chapter 23, what does Caesar tell Mehuru that causes Mehuru to become emotional?
(a) He will remain in England.
(b) He will have sons in Africa.
(c) He will marry Frances.
(d) He will remain enslaved.
14. What were many people in Bristol no longer trading?
15. What does Sarah say about Frances's dowry?
(a) It was used to clena the ship.
(b) It was used for Sarh's dresses.
(c) It was used to buy slaves.
(d) It was used to buy the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why wasn't John Bates still watching the slaves?
2. What begins to consume Josiah's thoughts?
3. What happens when Mehuru wakes Frances to tell her about John?
4. What does Josiah's lawyer advise him to do when Josiah is summoned?
5. In Chapter 25, why won't Josiah listen to Sarah's warning in regard to money?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)