|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Mehuru astounded to learn?
(a) There are thousands of free black slaves.
(b) There are only ten free black slaves in Bristol.
(c) There are thousands of slaves in Bristol.
(d) There are thousands of slaves buried under the coffeehouse.
2. Who has been caring for James?
3. How does Frances feel about owning slaves?
4. What room in The Cole's house was considered neutral where everyone gathered?
(a) The library.
(b) The parlor.
(c) The kitchen.
(d) Frances' room.
5. In Lord Scott's letter to Frances, who does he say is a good acquaintance to have?
(a) Sir Charles.
(b) Mr. Shores.
(c) Mr. Waring.
6. In Chapter 19, how does Sarah feel when she finds about Josiah's good news?
(a) Excited to spend money.
(b) Angry that Josiah did not invite her.
(c) Indifferent, she is still frugal.
7. What has happened to the ship, The Rose, at the end of the novel?
(a) It docks with only 50 slaves.
(b) It was hijacked.
(c) The boat sunk.
(d) No one knows and it never returns to port.
8. What does Frances reveal to Mehuru when they converse in her bedroom?
(a) Mehuru is free.
(b) Elizabeth is sick.
(c) Mehuru has been sold for 110 guineas.
(d) Franes is divorcing Josiah.
9. What were many people in Bristol no longer trading?
10. What does Dr. Hadley tell Frances after she falls ill?
(a) Josiah is dying.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) Her lungs are infected.
(d) She has a heart murmur.
11. In Chapter 18, what does Josiah tell Frances that worries her?
(a) Two more houses came up for sale in Queens Square.
(b) Mr. Waring aks him to look at a mine.
(c) Sarah is angry.
(d) The slaves are being sold.
12. What is Frances surprised to learn when she and Mehuru talk about Africa?
(a) Mehuru has a large family.
(b) Mehuru's people do not make human sacrifice.
(c) Mehuru was a slave in Africa too.
(d) Mehuru is planning to go back.
13. At the end of Chapter 18, why does Josiah come home drunk and happy?
(a) Frances is pregnant.
(b) They are now debt free.
(c) He was asked to be a member of the Merchant Venturers.
(d) His ship Lily came in.
14. Where does Josiah decide to sleep at night?
(a) On one of his ships.
(b) The backyard.
(c) The old quayside apartment.
(d) Frances' bed.
15. What does Josiah tell Sarah about The Rose?
(a) He had it packed with slaves to ensure income.
(b) He sold it.
(c) It will be bringing extra sugar.
(d) It has sunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sarah discover when she sees the ships' books?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Sarah tell Frances about their financial situation?
3. What does Elizabeth say to Mehuru when she finds out about his love for Frances?
4. When Frances writes Lord Scott in Chapter 24, what does Frances ask in regard to her marriage?
5. What does Josiah discover when he counts the gold from The Lily?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)