|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How can Dr. Hadley be described?
(a) A slavery supporter.
(b) Loyal to the king.
(c) Freethinking, abolitionist.
2. What does Josiah discover when he counts the gold from The Lily?
(a) A fake dollar.
(b) A rat.
(c) An empty box.
(d) A fake coin.
3. What happens when Lord Scott tells Mehuru to put on his collar?
(a) Frances protests.
(b) Elizabeth runs to protect him.
(c) He refuses and Josiah punches him.
(d) He obeys.
4. In Chapter 27, what news does Mehuru and Dr. Hadley receive about the abolition movement?
(a) None. they didn't vote.
(b) Slaves are free.
(c) Slavery will continue.
(d) Slaves wil receive land.
5. What advice does Josiah seek from Frances?
(a) How to handle his sister.
(b) Advice about Sir Charles.
(c) Advice on what to do with the Hot Well.
(d) What he should invest in next.
6. With what money were the Cole's slaves purchased?
(a) With Frances's dowry.
(b) With the profits from The Rose.
(c) With Josiah's inheritance.
(d) With a loan from Mr. Waring.
7. In Chapter 18, what does Josiah tell Frances that worries her?
(a) Sarah is angry.
(b) Mr. Waring aks him to look at a mine.
(c) The slaves are being sold.
(d) Two more houses came up for sale in Queens Square.
8. In Chapter 30, why is Josiah so irritated with Frances?
(a) He finds her advice useless.
(b) He finds out about Mehuru.
(c) Frances has been mean to Sarah.
(d) He realizes he is in over his head financially.
9. Who does Josiah say will be purchasing slaves?
(a) Lady Scott.
(b) Mrs. Waring.
(d) Dr. Hadley.
10. Why doesn't Lady Scott come to the Hot Well?
(a) She wants The Cole's to fail.
(b) Lord Scott would not allow it.
(c) She does not enjoy spas.
(d) She is pregnant.
11. What disease does Dr. Hadley think the little boy, John, might have?
(d) Chicken Pox.
12. When Josiah argues with Sarah, what does he tell her about their possessions and land?
(a) It's all losing value.
(b) It's all gaining value.
(c) It is irreplacable.
(d) None of it belongs to them.
13. What do Mehuru and Frances do together in Chapter 20?
(a) Take the ferry.
(b) Go horseback riding.
(d) Stroll around town.
14. What does Josiah's lawyer advise him to do when Josiah is summoned?
(a) Fight back.
(b) Sell the Hot Well.
(c) Turn the tap on at a set time daily.
(d) Counter sue.
15. In Chapter 19, how does Sarah feel when she finds about Josiah's good news?
(a) Indifferent, she is still frugal.
(c) Angry that Josiah did not invite her.
(d) Excited to spend money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Mehuru and Frances discover when they go for a carriage ride?
2. What has happened to the ship, The Rose, at the end of the novel?
3. What does Sarah convince Josiah to do?
4. What advice does Lord Scott give Frances in his letter?
5. In Chapter 25, why won't Josiah listen to Sarah's warning in regard to money?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)