|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Hadley feel about Mehuru and Frances's relationship?
(a) Excited for them.
(d) He is worried for them both.
2. At the beginning of chapter 22, what does Frances ask Josiah for?
(c) Her own horse.
(d) A doctor for the children.
3. What does Dr. Hadley tell Frances after she falls ill?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) Josiah is dying.
(c) She has a heart murmur.
(d) Her lungs are infected.
4. Who knows Mehuru is sneaking out at night?
5. What has happened to the ship, The Rose, at the end of the novel?
(a) The boat sunk.
(b) It docks with only 50 slaves.
(c) No one knows and it never returns to port.
(d) It was hijacked.
6. What is the weather like at the beginning of chapter 26?
(a) Snow and hail.
(b) Cold and rainy.
(c) Windy and warm.
(d) Bright and warm.
7. Which holiday is disappointing for Frances in Chapter 19?
8. As the novel concludes, what has happened to the Cole's finances?
(a) Frances has stolen their savings.
(b) The Rose comes in and they are saved.
(c) The Hot Well turns a profit.
(d) They have no money and they have been taken advantage of.
9. When Josiah argues with Sarah, what does he tell her about their possessions and land?
(a) It is irreplacable.
(b) It's all losing value.
(c) None of it belongs to them.
(d) It's all gaining value.
10. What do Mehuru and Frances do together in Chapter 20?
(a) Take the ferry.
(c) Stroll around town.
(d) Go horseback riding.
11. In Chapter 21, what does Mehuru tell Frances about friendship?
(a) "I have never had a friend."
(b) "Only lonely people need friends."
(c) "Black and whites cannot be friends."
(d) "Only a free man can give friendship."
12. Why wasn't John Bates still watching the slaves?
(a) Frances fired him.
(b) he was killed.
(c) The slaves no longer tried to escape.
(d) Josiah found out about the rape.
13. In Chapter 25, who does Sarah warn Josiah about?
(a) Mr. Waring.
(c) Sir Charles.
(d) Dr. Hadley.
14. How much is Frances willing to pay towards James's funeral?
(a) She will pay half the expense.
(b) She will pay for only a pauper funeral.
(c) She will pay all expenses.
(d) She decides against paying anything.
15. After Mehuru speaks to Frances, how does she respond that surprises Mehuru?
(a) She tells him he is just a slave.
(b) She screams fo Josiah.
(c) She speaks to him coldly.
(d) She complains about how expensive slaves are.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, how does Sarah feel when she finds about Josiah's good news?
2. What does Mr. Shore want to buy from Josiah?
3. What does Frances want to do for James?
4. What does Josiah do that causes a law suit?
5. In Chapter 27, what news does Mehuru and Dr. Hadley receive about the abolition movement?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)