|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which holiday is disappointing for Frances in Chapter 19?
2. Who knows Mehuru is sneaking out at night?
3. What does Frances reveal to Mehuru when they converse in her bedroom?
(a) Franes is divorcing Josiah.
(b) Elizabeth is sick.
(c) Mehuru is free.
(d) Mehuru has been sold for 110 guineas.
4. What does Josiah tell Sarah about The Rose?
(a) He sold it.
(b) It will be bringing extra sugar.
(c) He had it packed with slaves to ensure income.
(d) It has sunk.
5. Where does Josiah decide to sleep at night?
(a) On one of his ships.
(b) The old quayside apartment.
(c) Frances' bed.
(d) The backyard.
6. In Chapter 30, why is Josiah so irritated with Frances?
(a) He finds her advice useless.
(b) Frances has been mean to Sarah.
(c) He realizes he is in over his head financially.
(d) He finds out about Mehuru.
7. Why does Mehuru laugh when Frances tells him about Christianity?
(a) Because she calls him a "free" slave.
(b) Because he does not believe her.
(c) Because she burps.
(d) Because he thought it was a joke.
8. When Mehuru and Frances argue, what does Mehuru ask Frances to call him?
9. What does Josiah say would happen to their income if slavery was banned?
(a) They would profit since slaves would be at a premium.
(b) They would lose everything.
(c) They would be set for life.
(d) They would break even.
10. When Mehuru fetches Dr. Hadley, what smell overpowers them in Queens Square?
11. In Chapter 18, what does Sarah tell Frances about their financial situation?
(a) They are losing the house.
(b) They have income from slave trading.
(c) They are in debt.
(d) They are wealthy.
12. In Chapter 21, what does Mehuru tell Frances about friendship?
(a) "Only a free man can give friendship."
(b) "I have never had a friend."
(c) "Black and whites cannot be friends."
(d) "Only lonely people need friends."
13. What does Josiah do that causes a law suit?
(a) Owns slaves.
(b) Imports rum.
(c) Imports sugar.
(d) Turns the free water off at the Hot Well.
14. What does Josiah discover when he counts the gold from The Lily?
(a) An empty box.
(b) A fake dollar.
(c) A rat.
(d) A fake coin.
15. When Josiah argues with Sarah, what does he tell her about their possessions and land?
(a) It is irreplacable.
(b) It's all gaining value.
(c) None of it belongs to them.
(d) It's all losing value.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Frances so upset at the end of Chapter 19?
2. In Chapter 18, what does Josiah tell Frances that worries her?
3. What happens when Mehuru wakes Frances to tell her about John?
4. What does Josiah insist he will invest in?
5. Why wasn't John Bates still watching the slaves?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)