|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John Bates do to Died of Shame?
(a) Kills her.
(b) Feeds her.
(c) Rapes her.
(d) Frees her.
2. How can Josiah and Sarah Cole's apartment be described?
(a) Depressing and cramped.
(b) Opulent and extravagent.
(c) Modern and monotone.
(d) Spacious and relaxing.
3. What is the first word Frances teaches the slaves?
4. What does Sarah want to teach Frances?
(a) How to be a lady.
(b) How to clean thehouse.
(c) How to balance the ships' books.
(d) How to sail a ship.
5. What does Sarah expect Frances to do with the slaves?
(a) Teach them.
(b) Entertain them.
(c) Whip them.
(d) Cook for them.
6. How many slaves does Captain Lisle say he will be bringing to Josiah?
7. What does Frances order for the salves that irritates Sarah?
8. How does Mehuru perceive Frances?
(a) Sad and lonely.
(b) Excited and humorous.
(c) Angry and resentful.
(d) Gentle and sweet.
9. Which ship does Mehuru arrive on?
(a) The Daisy.
(b) The Rose.
(c) The Titanic.
(d) The Lily.
10. What happens to Mehuru and Siko in Chapter 2?
(a) They escape capture.
(b) They are captured by slave traders.
(c) They free slaves.
(d) They trade guns with the white man.
11. At the beginning of Chapter 11, what does Josiah think he owes Frances?
(a) An apology.
(b) A beating.
(c) A check.
(d) A date.
12. What is Sarah's primary concern about buying a new house?
(a) Having enough room for slaves.
(b) Decorating it to her taste.
(c) The cost involved.
(d) How laborious the move would be.
13. What happens to Frances's skin that surprises Mehuru?
(a) It appears striped.
(b) It turns black.
(c) It turns red.
(d) It turns purple.
14. What does "Died of Shame" eat?
15. How are the other slaves treating Mehuru?
(a) As a son.
(b) As a father.
(c) As an enemy.
(d) As a leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mehuru feel about his new name?
2. What does Mehuru think of Frances when he firsts sees her?
3. Why did Mehuru find it hard to stand up straight?
4. What does Sir Charles suggest be done to the slave woman?
5. Why is Sarah upset after the neighbors come by?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)