|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first character introduced in Chapter 1?
2. Which example is NOT a concern for an uninsured slave trader?
(a) Slaves will kill themselves.
(b) Slaves will revolt on ships.
(c) Slaves will love their masters.
(d) Ships will sink.
3. What fruit does Frances give Mehuru?
4. How does Sarah reassure Frances about the slaves?
(a) She tells her they are canibals.
(b) She tells her they will be free.
(c) She tells her they will be treated as servants.
(d) She tells her they are less than human.
5. Why is Sarah upset after the neighbors come by?
(a) Her necklace was stolen.
(b) The slaves did not act right.
(c) She thinks they are trying to be something they are not.
(d) She did not get a date.
6. In Chapter 10, what does Sir Charles do that upsets Francs?
(a) He stops doing business with Josiah.
(b) He rapes a slave woman.
(c) He slaps Frances.
(d) He murders a slave.
7. What did Frances realize she had over the slaves which she never had before?
8. How many ships do The Cole's own?
9. What does Mehuru do that surprised John Bates?
(a) He asks for help.
(b) He kills Frances.
(c) He speaks English.
(d) He hits John Bates.
10. What is the primary decor of The Cole's new house in Queens Square?
11. What is the relationship between Sarah and Josiah?
(b) Sister and brother.
(c) Uncle and niece.
(d) Father and daughter.
12. What does Josiah tell Frances about the house in Queens Square?
(a) They cannot bring the slaves.
(b) They cannot afford it.
(c) Sarah will be living with them.
(d) They have bought it.
13. What day does Frances tell the new neighbors they receive guests?
14. How are the other slaves treating Mehuru?
(a) As a father.
(b) As a son.
(c) As an enemy.
(d) As a leader.
15. What traded "good" does Sarah say will make the best profit?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mehuru think of Frances when he firsts sees her?
2. What does John Bates do to Died of Shame?
3. What happens to Mehuru and Siko in Chapter 2?
4. What risk does Josiah take with his ship, The Rose?
5. In Chapter 16, how would Frances describe her first Christmas with The Cole's?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)