|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ralph strives hard to maintain an appearance of ___________________.
2. Catherine answered an ad which Ralph placed in which he stated he was looking for _____________________.
(a) A business partner.
(b) A mother for his children.
(c) A reliable wife.
(d) An adventurer.
3. What does Catherine lose in the carriage accident?
(a) Her gloves.
(b) Her hat.
(c) Her jewelry.
(d) Her suitcase.
4. What makes Ralph anxious as he waits for the train?
(a) There is a thunderstorm moving in.
(b) He is feeling nauseous.
(c) The train is late.
(d) People are firing questions at him.
5. What does Catherine notice as she and Ralph drive toward his house?
(a) The children playing.
(b) The destruction.
(c) The isolation.
(d) The beautiful trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Antonio says that his real family lives in what city?
2. What does Antonio tell Catherine he has lost when he stops at her table?
3. When confronted by Catherine and the private detectives, what does Antonio say his name is?
4. What is Catherine's last name?
5. Who was the father of Emilia's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
2. What is the significance of the phrases, "It happens," or, "These things happen" which appear throughout the novel?
3. Describe the carriage accident in which Ralph is hurt.
4. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
5. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
6. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
7. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
8. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
9. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
10. What is Ralph Truitt doing as the novel begins?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)