|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ralph's mother told him that he was born ____________________.
(d) Too soon.
2. Which of the following does Catherine NOT recall as she waits for Ralph to get better?
(a) Past lovers.
(d) Her mother.
3. Why did Ralph's father send him a large amount of money in Italy?
(a) To give to Emilia's family.
(b) To give to the Catholic Church.
(c) To buy paintings.
(d) To buy a new carriage.
4. Mrs. Larsen tells Catherine that if Catherine hurts Ralph, ______________________.
(a) He will kill himself.
(b) He will go mad.
(c) Mrs. Larsen will hurt her.
(d) He will kill her.
5. What color silk does Catherine order to make her wedding gown?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine like about St. Louis?
2. How old was Emilia when Ralph met her?
3. What does Catherine lose in the carriage accident?
4. The diamond ring that Ralph gave Catherine looked like which type of flower?
5. Antonio says that his real family lives in what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
2. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
3. What is the significance of the phrases, "It happens," or, "These things happen" which appear throughout the novel?
4. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
5. How does Mrs. Larsen show Catherine that she will not stand by and let anyone else hurt Truitt?
6. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
7. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
8. What themes does the author introduce early in the story?
9. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
10. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)