|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year does the novel begin?
2. Catherine has studied which language?
3. What does Catherine constantly imagine herself doing?
4. What day does Ralph choose to marry Catherine?
(a) Christmas Eve.
(b) Easter Day.
(c) Thanksgiving Day.
(d) New Year's Day.
5. What bothers Catherine about her plan to get rid of Ralph now?
(a) She could not bear being imprisoned if caught.
(b) She has fallen in love with him.
(c) Her conscience is starting to bother her.
(d) It will be more difficult if there is a son in the picture.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ralph's mail order bride claimed that she was looking for ____________________.
2. What is Catherine's plan for after she gets all of Ralph's money?
3. Mrs. Larsen tells Catherine that if Catherine hurts Ralph, ______________________.
4. Catherine answered an ad which Ralph placed in which he stated he was looking for _____________________.
5. Catherine recognizes Ralph right away because of his apparent wealth and ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
2. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
3. What are some of Truitt's thoughts during his delirium, especially related to his domineering mother and his own youthful thoughts of lust?
4. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
5. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
6. What themes does the author introduce early in the story?
7. What is the significance of the canary that Catherine purchases?
8. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
9. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
10. Who are the two main characters in A RELIABLE WIFE?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)