|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine notes that there are no _________________ in Ralph's house.
2. What does Catherine sew into the hem of her dress?
(b) A letter.
(d) A photograph.
3. What topic does Catherine research in the library in St. Louis?
(a) Italian secret gardens.
(b) Gourmet cuisine.
4. How does Catherine first want to see Antonio?
(a) She wants to go to where he works.
(b) She wants to go to his hotel room.
(c) She wants him to come to her room.
(d) She wants to observe him at dinner.
5. Where does the carriage end up as Catherine tries to rein in the horses?
(a) The next town.
(b) A frozen river.
(c) The woods.
(d) The ditch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine lose in the carriage accident?
2. Who was Emilia's second child?
3. Ralph strives hard to maintain an appearance of ___________________.
4. Who was Ralph's brother?
5. What does Ralph tell Catherine before he collapses in the carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Larsen show Catherine that she will not stand by and let anyone else hurt Truitt?
2. What does the author reveal about Catherine's true intentions regarding Truitt?
3. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
4. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
5. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
6. In what way does Ralph and Catherine's relationship begin with a lie?
7. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
8. Who are the two main characters in A RELIABLE WIFE?
9. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
10. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)