|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Antonio do after he eats his meal?
(a) He drinks some brandy.
(b) He smokes a cigar.
(c) He plays piano.
(d) He reads a book.
2. What does Catherine sew into the hem of her dress?
(a) A letter.
(c) A photograph.
3. Ralph is aware that his relationship with Catherine is beginning with __________________.
(a) A contract.
(b) Sexual attraction.
(c) A lie.
(d) No attraction.
4. What does Ralph tell Catherine before he collapses in the carriage?
(a) He is sorry for upsetting her.
(b) The horses know the way home.
(c) He is thankful she is with him.
(d) The doctor has an office in town.
5. What startles the horses of Ralph's carriage?
(b) A deer.
(c) A gunshot.
(d) Another carriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the carriage end up as Catherine tries to rein in the horses?
2. What bothers Catherine about her plan to get rid of Ralph now?
3. Why is Ralph surprised by Catherine's appearance?
4. What does Antonio say is his mother's name?
5. What day does Ralph choose to marry Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
2. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
3. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
4. What are some of Truitt's thoughts during his delirium, especially related to his domineering mother and his own youthful thoughts of lust?
5. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
6. Describe the carriage accident in which Ralph is hurt.
7. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
8. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
9. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
10. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)