|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tends to Ralph during his illness?
(a) Catherine and the doctor.
(b) Catherine and Mrs. Larsen.
(c) The doctor.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Larsen.
2. Where are Ralph and Catherine married?
(a) In a church.
(b) At the courthouse.
(c) In a meadow.
(d) At Ralph's house.
3. Catherine realized a while ago that she cannot live without love or ____________________.
4. Who was the daughter born to Ralph and Emilia?
5. Who is Catherine?
(a) Ralph's housekeeper.
(b) Ralph's sister.
(c) Ralph's mail order bride.
(d) Ralph's first wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine like about St. Louis?
2. Catherine has studied which language?
3. What color is the small bottle that Catherine pays attention to while unpacking?
4. What did Ralph do after college?
5. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
2. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
3. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
4. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
5. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
6. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
7. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
8. How does Catherine spend her time in St. Louis?
9. What themes does the author introduce early in the story?
10. How is the theme of isolation repeated as Catherine takes note of her new surroundings?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)