|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Pinkerton agents with whom Catherine meets?
(a) Mallory and Fenton.
(b) Morton and Fisk.
(c) Malloy and Fisk.
(d) Malloy and Fewsmith.
2. Where are Ralph and Catherine married?
(a) At Ralph's house.
(b) In a meadow.
(c) At the courthouse.
(d) In a church.
3. How does Ralph express his longing for Catherine?
(a) He writes poetry.
(b) He gropes her.
(c) He buys her things.
(d) He sings to her.
4. What is Antonio doing in the city in #63?
(a) Attending law school.
(b) Modeling in an art studio.
(c) Playing piano in a whorehouse.
(d) Teaching school.
5. Antonio says that his real family lives in what city?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Catherine's state of mind as she waits for Ralph to get better?
2. Who tends to Ralph during his illness?
3. Where did Ralph go away to college?
4. What topic does Catherine research in the library in St. Louis?
5. Who was Emilia's second child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
2. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
3. What do Malloy and Fisk report to Catherine regarding Antonio and to what do they reluctantly agree to do for Catherine?
4. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
5. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
6. How is the theme of isolation repeated as Catherine takes note of her new surroundings?
7. In what way does Ralph and Catherine's relationship begin with a lie?
8. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
9. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
10. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)