|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Ralph NOT speak of in his delirious state?
(a) His father.
(b) His brother.
(c) His mother.
(d) His first wife.
2. What is Antonio wearing during the time Catherine and the investigators meet with him?
(a) A tuxedo.
(b) A three-piece suit.
(c) A t-shirt and pants.
(d) A red silk robe.
3. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
(b) Lustful thoughts.
(c) Suicidal thoughts.
(d) Murderous thoughts.
4. What does Ralph tell Catherine before he collapses in the carriage?
(a) He is thankful she is with him.
(b) The doctor has an office in town.
(c) The horses know the way home.
(d) He is sorry for upsetting her.
5. What bothers Catherine about her plan to get rid of Ralph now?
(a) She has fallen in love with him.
(b) Her conscience is starting to bother her.
(c) She could not bear being imprisoned if caught.
(d) It will be more difficult if there is a son in the picture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonio do after he eats his meal?
2. Why is Ralph surprised by Catherine's appearance?
3. Catherine answered an ad which Ralph placed in which he stated he was looking for _____________________.
4. Who was the father of Emilia's son?
5. What does Catherine do as she rides in the train on the way to her destination?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the canary that Catherine purchases?
2. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
3. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
4. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
5. How is the theme of isolation repeated as Catherine takes note of her new surroundings?
6. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
7. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
8. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
9. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
10. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)