|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ralph's last name?
2. What does Catherine do as she rides in the train on the way to her destination?
(a) She stares at herself in a mirror.
(b) She takes a nap.
(c) She embroiders a doily.
(d) She reads a book.
3. What does Antonio do after he eats his meal?
(a) He smokes a cigar.
(b) He plays piano.
(c) He drinks some brandy.
(d) He reads a book.
4. Catherine answered an ad which Ralph placed in which he stated he was looking for _____________________.
(a) A business partner.
(b) An adventurer.
(c) A reliable wife.
(d) A mother for his children.
5. Who are the Pinkerton agents with whom Catherine meets?
(a) Malloy and Fisk.
(b) Malloy and Fewsmith.
(c) Mallory and Fenton.
(d) Morton and Fisk.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ralph express his longing for Catherine?
2. What is Antonio wearing during the time Catherine and the investigators meet with him?
3. Who/What is on the train for which Ralph is waiting?
4. Ralph's mother could best be described as ________________________.
5. How did Ralph's daughter die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
2. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
3. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
4. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
5. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
6. What is the significance of the phrases, "It happens," or, "These things happen" which appear throughout the novel?
7. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
8. How does Catherine spend her time in St. Louis?
9. In what way does Ralph and Catherine's relationship begin with a lie?
10. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)