|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
(a) Suicidal thoughts.
(c) Murderous thoughts.
(d) Lustful thoughts.
2. In what year does the novel begin?
3. What is the hotel where Catherine stays in St. Louis?
(a) Riverboat Queen.
(b) Planter's Hotel.
(c) The Embassy.
(d) The James Hotel.
4. Which of the following does Catherine NOT recall as she waits for Ralph to get better?
(a) Past lovers.
(c) Her mother.
5. Who was the father of Emilia's son?
(b) A piano teacher.
(c) A ranch hand.
(d) A sculptor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine lose in the carriage accident?
2. What does Antonio do after he eats his meal?
3. Which of the following is NOT something that now shows on Ralph's face?
4. Which of the following does Ralph NOT speak of in his delirious state?
5. What is Catherine's plan for after she gets all of Ralph's money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the phrases, "It happens," or, "These things happen" which appear throughout the novel?
2. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
3. What does the author reveal about Catherine's true intentions regarding Truitt?
4. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
5. How does Catherine spend her time in St. Louis?
6. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
7. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
8. What do the secret garden and the Italian house symbolize?
9. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
10. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)