|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Ralph's mother do to show him how much hell can hurt?
(a) Made him stand shoeless in the snow for an hour.
(b) Burned him with a candle.
(c) Refused to feed him for two days.
(d) Stuck a needle through his hand.
2. What startles the horses of Ralph's carriage?
(a) A gunshot.
(b) Another carriage.
(c) A deer.
3. What is Antonio doing in the city in #63?
(a) Modeling in an art studio.
(b) Playing piano in a whorehouse.
(c) Teaching school.
(d) Attending law school.
4. What had Ralph done when he caught Emilia and her lover together?
(a) Whipped the man.
(b) Nearly beat the man to death.
(c) Shot the man.
(d) Shot Emilia.
5. What does Catherine do on New Year's Day?
(a) Boards a train to St. Louis.
(b) Hosts a brunch.
(c) Polishes the silver.
(d) Sleeps until noon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ralph tell Antonio about his mother?
2. What does Catherine do with her expensive clothing?
3. What does Antonio say is his mother's name?
4. How old was Emilia when Ralph met her?
5. Catherine recognizes Ralph right away because of his apparent wealth and ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
2. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
3. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
4. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
5. How does Mrs. Larsen show Catherine that she will not stand by and let anyone else hurt Truitt?
6. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
7. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
8. Who are the two main characters in A RELIABLE WIFE?
9. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
10. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)