|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Pinkerton agents with whom Catherine meets?
(a) Malloy and Fewsmith.
(b) Morton and Fisk.
(c) Malloy and Fisk.
(d) Mallory and Fenton.
2. What does Mr. Larsen do to keep Ralph from falling unconscious again?
(a) He slaps him.
(b) He walks him.
(c) He splashes cold water on him.
(d) He yells at him.
3. When confronted by Catherine and the private detectives, what does Antonio say his name is?
(a) Tony Ragucci.
(b) Pietro Moretti.
(c) Paul Sabatino.
(d) Pieter Moreno.
4. What are Ralph's new plans for Catherine?
(a) He will take her to California with him.
(b) He will build a new house for her.
(c) He will get rid of her in a couple of days.
(d) He will make her his new business partner.
5. What is Antonio wearing during the time Catherine and the investigators meet with him?
(a) A t-shirt and pants.
(b) A three-piece suit.
(c) A red silk robe.
(d) A tuxedo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Ralph's brother?
2. Who was the daughter born to Ralph and Emilia?
3. Which of the following does Catherine NOT recall as she waits for Ralph to get better?
4. In what year does the novel begin?
5. Mrs. Larsen tells Catherine that if Catherine hurts Ralph, ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
2. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
3. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
4. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
5. What are some of Truitt's thoughts during his delirium, especially related to his domineering mother and his own youthful thoughts of lust?
6. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
7. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
8. What does the author reveal about Catherine's true intentions regarding Truitt?
9. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
10. What is the significance of the canary that Catherine purchases?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)