|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine sew into the hem of her dress?
(a) A photograph.
(d) A letter.
2. What does Catherine lose in the carriage accident?
(a) Her gloves.
(b) Her hat.
(c) Her suitcase.
(d) Her jewelry.
3. What had Ralph done when he caught Emilia and her lover together?
(a) Whipped the man.
(b) Shot Emilia.
(c) Nearly beat the man to death.
(d) Shot the man.
4. What does Catherine notice as she and Ralph drive toward his house?
(a) The beautiful trees.
(b) The destruction.
(c) The isolation.
(d) The children playing.
5. Who was Emilia's second child?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Emilia when Ralph met her?
2. What does Ralph tell Catherine before he collapses in the carriage?
3. What does Antonio do after he eats his meal?
4. What does Catherine pay particular attention to as she unpacks?
5. What color is the small bottle that Catherine pays attention to while unpacking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
2. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
3. What does the author reveal about Catherine's true intentions regarding Truitt?
4. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
5. What is the significance of the canary that Catherine purchases?
6. Who are the two main characters in A RELIABLE WIFE?
7. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
8. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
9. What is the significance of the phrases, "It happens," or, "These things happen" which appear throughout the novel?
10. What lie does Catherine tell about about her father as she is tending to Ralph's head wound?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)