|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ralph decide to continue with plans to marry Catherine?
(a) She saved his life.
(b) He is too lonesome and desperate.
(c) He thinks she is beautiful.
(d) She intrigues him.
2. Catherine has studied which language?
3. How did Catherine learn how to make poison?
(a) She studied pharmacology.
(b) Her father was a chemist.
(c) She studied books.
(d) A former lover taught her.
4. Who was Ralph's brother?
5. What is Ralph's last name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ralph anxious as he waits for the train?
2. Where does the carriage end up as Catherine tries to rein in the horses?
3. The photograph sent to Ralph from his new bride shows a woman who appears to be ____________________.
4. What topic does Catherine research in the library in St. Louis?
5. Who was the father of Emilia's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
2. What themes does the author introduce early in the story?
3. How does Catherine spend her time in St. Louis?
4. What does Truitt tell Catherine about his life with Emilia and the house he built for her?
5. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
6. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
7. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
8. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
9. What do Malloy and Fisk report to Catherine regarding Antonio and to what do they reluctantly agree to do for Catherine?
10. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)