|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ralph's mother could best be described as ________________________.
(a) Docile and shy.
(b) Insane and frantic.
(c) Patient and kind.
(d) Religiously domineering.
2. Which of the following does Catherine NOT recall as she waits for Ralph to get better?
(b) Past lovers.
(d) Her mother.
3. Ralph strives hard to maintain an appearance of ___________________.
4. How does Ralph express his longing for Catherine?
(a) He gropes her.
(b) He sings to her.
(c) He buys her things.
(d) He writes poetry.
5. What color is the small bottle that Catherine pays attention to while unpacking?
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine says that she learned how to stitch wounds by __________________________.
2. Why do the private investigators advise Catherine to not pursue Antonio any longer?
3. What does Catherine do on New Year's Day?
4. Who/What is on the train for which Ralph is waiting?
5. How many years ago did Ralph lose his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scenario where Catherine observes Antonio in the restaurant.
2. What does Truitt's wish to have Antonio back foreshadow for the story?
3. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
4. What is the one expectation that Truitt has of Catherine by sending her to St. Louis?
5. What do Malloy and Fisk report to Catherine regarding Antonio and to what do they reluctantly agree to do for Catherine?
6. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
7. What are Truitt's thoughts about Antonio even though he and the boy hated each other years ago?
8. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
9. What is Ralph Truitt doing as the novel begins?
10. What themes does the author introduce early in the story?
This section contains 1,139 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)