|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Ralph done when he caught Emilia and her lover together?
(a) Whipped the man.
(b) Nearly beat the man to death.
(c) Shot Emilia.
(d) Shot the man.
2. What did Ralph tell Antonio about his mother?
(a) She drowned.
(b) She broke her neck in a fall.
(c) She died in a fire.
(d) She moved back to Italy.
3. Where does the carriage end up as Catherine tries to rein in the horses?
(a) The next town.
(b) The woods.
(c) A frozen river.
(d) The ditch.
4. What is Ralph's condition when they arrive home?
5. What does Catherine sew into the hem of her dress?
(c) A letter.
(d) A photograph.
Short Answer Questions
1. Catherine says that she learned how to stitch wounds by __________________________.
2. How did Ralph's daughter die?
3. What does Catherine do on New Year's Day?
4. Catherine answered an ad which Ralph placed in which he stated he was looking for _____________________.
5. What is Catherine's cousin's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
2. What does Antonio reveal to Catherine about his mother's death and what does he say he feels towards his father?
3. What does Catherine do when Antonio rapes her?
4. What does Truitt confide to Catherine about Emilia's behavior after she left and how her life deteriorated?
5. What is the significance of Catherine's clothing in the story?
6. How does Truitt think Antonio is just like himself at that age?
7. What had been Truitt's experience with arsenic when he was a younger man?
8. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
9. What do the secret garden, and gardens in general, symbolize in Catherine's life at this point?
10. What significance does the loss of Catherine's jewelry serve symbolically and as an element of foreshadowing?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)