|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Catherine recognizes Ralph right away because of his apparent wealth and ___________________.
2. How did Ralph's daughter die?
(a) She drowned.
(b) She had influenza.
(c) She had heart disease.
(d) She had leukemia.
3. What is Antonio wearing during the time Catherine and the investigators meet with him?
(a) A t-shirt and pants.
(b) A red silk robe.
(c) A tuxedo.
(d) A three-piece suit.
4. What does Catherine do as she rides in the train on the way to her destination?
(a) She embroiders a doily.
(b) She takes a nap.
(c) She stares at herself in a mirror.
(d) She reads a book.
5. What does Catherine pay particular attention to as she unpacks?
(a) A small bottle.
(b) Her cosmetics.
(c) Her hats.
(d) A brooch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Ralph NOT speak of in his delirious state?
2. What is Ralph's condition when they arrive home?
3. The photograph sent to Ralph from his new bride shows a woman who appears to be ____________________.
4. Ralph's mother told him that he was born ____________________.
5. What does Antonio do after he eats his meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Truitt's mother stabbing him with a needle and then the resulting scar that reminds him of the act?
2. What role does deception play in the relationship between Catherine and Truitt?
3. How is Ralph described by the emotions he wears on his face as well as his obsession with sex?
4. What did Truitt discover when he went to Chicago one last time to try to help Emilia and why does he think he finally abandoned her?
5. What were the circumstances in which Emilia left Truitt?
6. Why did Catherine prostitute herself and how does Alice end up doing the same thing?
7. Who are the two main characters in A RELIABLE WIFE?
8. In what way are Truitt and Antonio similar in the way they use sex?
9. How is the theme of isolation repeated as Catherine takes note of her new surroundings?
10. What tragedy did Ralph suffer twenty years ago and why does he try to maintain his composure at the train station?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)