Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Antonio wearing during the time Catherine and the investigators meet with him?
(a) A tuxedo.
(b) A three-piece suit.
(c) A red silk robe.
(d) A t-shirt and pants.
2. How does Catherine first want to see Antonio?
(a) She wants him to come to her room.
(b) She wants to go to his hotel room.
(c) She wants to observe him at dinner.
(d) She wants to go to where he works.
3. What does Catherine buy before returning to her hotel room after meeting with Antonio?
(a) A hat.
(b) A canary.
(c) A book.
(d) A box of chocolates.
4. What had tormented Ralph for his entire life?
(a) Suicidal thoughts.
(b) Murderous thoughts.
(c) Lustful thoughts.
5. What is Antonio doing in the city in #63?
(a) Attending law school.
(b) Playing piano in a whorehouse.
(c) Modeling in an art studio.
(d) Teaching school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine do with her expensive clothing?
2. What does Antonio say is his mother's name?
3. What is Catherine's cousin's name?
4. What color silk does Catherine order to make her wedding gown?
5. What does Catherine do on New Year's Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the author's description of the weather so critical to the book?
2. Why does Antonio delight in telling Catherine about where Alice is?
3. What image does Catherine see float down toward Alice and what does Catherine realize about her own life from this point on?
4. What does a flashback reveal about Catherine and Alice's sad childhood?
5. What is the nature of the encounter between Catherine and Alice in present day St. Louis?
6. What are the two metaphors the author creates by having Antonio fall through the thin ice?
7. What is Ralph Truitt doing as the novel begins?
8. How does Catherine maintain a low profile in St. Louis even though she is excited by being in the city?
9. What internal conflict does a youthful Truitt experience during his days of debauchery in Europe?
10. How does Truitt feel when Catherine returns home without Antonio and what is Truitt's suggestion for their life?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)