|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his visit to Germany that includes a tour of a Nazi concentration camp, what does Reagan decide to push for?
2. In 1991, __________ begins to break up into smaller countries.
3. In what year is the first genocide case tried before an international court?
4. In 1994, what measure does the UN Security Council take against the Serbs?
5. Which concentration camp does Reagan visit during his trip to Germany in response to people's complaints about his laying a wreath at a cemetery that includes the graves of nearly 50 Nazi SS officials?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bosnian Serbs declared an independent Serb state, what measure did Western countries take in an attempt to stabilize the area?
2. After the Hutu government began eliminating the Tutsi, what did the U.S. focus on instead of intervening to stop the genocide?
3. What has turned out to be the drawback to not necessarily holding genocide proceedings in the victimized country?
4. What use did the U.S. fail to make of the satellites it had in space?
5. What was the influence of the creation of the 1993 International War Crimes Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia upon the Rwandan genocide?
6. Although President Reagan stated that he would endorse the genocide convention, what first step was he, as well as his administration, seemingly reluctant to take?
7. What were the conditions under which Milosevic was delivered to The Hague for his trial?
8. Although Rwanda held one of the seats on the UN Security Council, what measures that the Council could have taken against the Hutus' genocide were never suggested?
9. What have the Kurds demanded since 1922?
10. In the middle of July 1995, what did journalists stationed in the Balkan region begin reporting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Demonstrate how the Cambodian genocide illustrates the manner in which internal politics in the United States affect U.S. actions. Support your arguments from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the United States' initial response to each genocide covered in A Problem from Hell. Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
When World War I ended, Britain, France, and Russia wanted to hold officials in Germany, Austria, and Turkey responsible for violations of law and crimes of humanity. For Turkey, this action would have tried their officials for the atrocities committed upon the Armenians. Explain and demonstrate, backing your arguments from the text, why the United States refused to go along with the rest of the Allies' desires.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)