|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the international community prosecute individuals for their roles in exterminating millions of German Jews?
2. What is Raphael Lemkin's profession?
3. In what year does the Armenian genocide, which kills nearly 1 million people, take place?
4. Who coins the word "genocide" to describe the atrocities in Nazi Germany and in Turkey?
5. What nonbinding measure is suggested as a replacement of the UN genocide treaty, angering Lemkin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which specific instance of genocide has American society committed itself to remembering and preventing a repetition of, which makes their slowness to react when genocide occurs disturbing to say the least?
2. Why was Morgenthau unable to do more about the Armenians than send cables to Washington?
3. What did Lemkin do while interacting with officials and the public regarding the Holocaust that he thought would make them believe his, and others', claims about Hitler's atrocities against the Jews?
4. What kind of law did Raphael Lemkin propose?
5. In what way did Power see U.S. policymakers handle the genocide in Bosnia?
6. Immediately after World War II, how did books and films that addressed the war deal with the Holocaust?
7. What was the concern that several U.S. policymakers had with the ambiguous language of the UN genocide treaty?
8. What message did the United States government tell Morgenthau to pass on to Turkey?
9. In a cable to Washington, what term did Ambassador Henry Morgenthau use to condemn the actions of the Turkish government against the Armenians?
10. When the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was proposed by the United States as an international law instead of the UN genocide treaty, what was Raphael Lemkin's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the United States' initial response to each genocide covered in A Problem from Hell. Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
When World War I ended, Britain, France, and Russia wanted to hold officials in Germany, Austria, and Turkey responsible for violations of law and crimes of humanity. For Turkey, this action would have tried their officials for the atrocities committed upon the Armenians. Explain and demonstrate, backing your arguments from the text, why the United States refused to go along with the rest of the Allies' desires.
Essay Topic 3
Explain America's role in Southeast Asia during the 1960s and demonstrate why this role made Americans reluctant to get involved in the Cambodian genocide. Support your arguments from the text.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)