|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the goal of NATO's bombing campaign?
(a) Autonomy for Kosovo.
(b) Milosevic's ouster.
(c) Milosevic's death.
(d) Autonomy for Bosnia.
2. On what date does NATO begin bombing Serb forces?
(a) August 30, 1995.
(b) July 27, 1995.
(c) July 20, 1995.
(d) July 24, 1995.
3. In response to demands for his rule to end, Serbia's leader brutalizes what minority in Kosovo?
4. The town of Halabja becomes known as the Kurdish ____________.
(d) My Lai.
5. After his visit to Germany that includes a tour of a Nazi concentration camp, what does Reagan decide to push for?
(a) The reunification of East and West Germany.
(b) Ratification of the UN genocide convention.
(c) The rounding up and extradition of fugitive Nazis.
(d) A national Holocaust memorial.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which concentration center does British Independent Television gain footage of?
2. The U.S. and Western countries believe the Serbs will try to ______________ Srbrenica, based on their intelligence.
3. Who is Canadian Major General Romeo Dallaire?
4. What do Western diplomats suggest that Bosnia offer to its minorities?
5. On April 16, 1994, which American newspaper reports the deaths of 1,200 Tutsi (men, women, and children) in a church building?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the middle of July 1995, what did journalists stationed in the Balkan region begin reporting?
2. What is an example of one of the many treaties President Jimmy Carter used his leverage to ratify instead of the genocide treaty?
3. Why did the U.S. turn a blind eye to Iraqi brutality against the Kurds?
4. Within hours of President Habyarimana's death, whom did armed Hutus begin targeting?
5. What have the Kurds demanded since 1922?
6. What Rwandan atrocity caused the definition of genocide to be expanded upon?
7. Why was the Arusha agreement unpopular with Hutu extremists?
8. When Bosnian Serbs declared an independent Serb state, what measure did Western countries take in an attempt to stabilize the area?
9. While Mladic's men were killing the men and boys living in Srbrenica, what was done with the women, children, and elderly?
10. What would have been the consequences of including, within the U.S. version of the genocide treaty, a restriction on its jurisdiction in cases where the U.S. might be called?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)