|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the innkeeper in Jones?
2. Why does the character who meets Lanik on the beach near Anderson use illusions?
3. Who does Lanik heal after an assassination attempt on the lord and Lanik?
4. What illusion is destroyed when Lanik destroys the Ambassadors?
5. What is the one way to stop a Mueller from regenerating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lanik do while staying in Jones?
2. When Lanik realizes the deception taking place in the throne room, why does he not kill the impostors?
3. How do the Nkumai treat Lanik's double when they first find him?
4. Why does Lanik become a legend in Britton?
5. Lanik descends into the rock to better hear the voice, but when he returns to the surface, his father is afraid. Why?
6. Why do the Schwartzes ultimately decide to help Lanik in his quest?
7. Why must Lanik completely destroy the land of Anderson?
8. Why does Lanik return to Mueller?
9. Why does Lanik almost give up his vow of fidelity to Saranna?
10. Why is Lanik able to escape from the grave that the people of Gill have buried him in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lanik at the beginning and end of the story. How does Lanik's personality and character change as the story progresses? How does Lanik's role in world events change? How do the different places he visits change him? Provide examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Banishment to the planet Treason is a particularly severe punishment because Treason has no iron. Discuss the role of iron in the story. What is it used for? What is it traded for? How does iron drive the plot? Give examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many key people help Lanik transform from the young man he is at the beginning of the story to the peacemaker who ends up saving the world. Compare and contrast the characteristics and traits of Teacher and Helmut. Be sure to include an examination of the teachings and lessons each character imparts to Lanik. Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)