|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lanik realizes he must leave Ku Kuei. Why?
2. What happens to Lanik immediately upon his arrival in Gill?
3. According to the person who meets Lanik on the beach near Anderson, how does this person make a living?
4. How long does it take the impostor to make his way into the agreed-upon meeting room?
5. When several illuders enter the throne room in Gill and try to harm Lanik, what does Lanik do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lanik leave his horse with a stabler and make a hasty escape from Jones?
2. What does Lanik do while staying in Jones?
3. Although Ensel tries to show joy at the comforting environment of the forest, he cannot. Why?
4. Why do the Schwartzes ultimately decide to help Lanik in his quest?
5. Why are the Schwartzes hesitant to help Lanik in his quest?
6. Why does Lanik return to Mueller?
7. Why does Lanik almost give up his vow of fidelity to Saranna?
8. As Lanik leaves Schwartz after asking for help, why is Lanik despondent?
9. Lanik descends into the rock to better hear the voice, but when he returns to the surface, his father is afraid. Why?
10. When Lanik realizes the deception taking place in the throne room, why does he not kill the impostors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lanik enters Nkumai under the guise of being the ambassador from Bird. Just as Lanik is living under false pretenses, so to is Mwabao Mawa..
a. Compare and contrast these two characters.
b. How do these characters justify their false pretenses?
c. Which of these two characters is more justified in deceiving those around them? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lanik at the beginning and end of the story. How does Lanik's personality and character change as the story progresses? How does Lanik's role in world events change? How do the different places he visits change him? Provide examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Lanik get hurts during the escape from Nkumai, his double regenerates from part of Lanik's intestine that spills onto the ground.
a. How does this situation test Lanik's moral strength?
b. In what ways does Lanik's double continue to affect Lanik's life even though Lanik has left his double behind?
c. How might the story change if Lanik brought his double with him? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)