|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Ambassadors?
2. Who teaches Dinte's impostor the secrets of illusion?
3. According to the Jones innkeeper, what is being stockpiled in Huss?
4. Before being distracted by the sight of what is coming down the street in Jones, what is Lanik contemplating doing before leaving Jones?
5. Where must Lanik travel before he can return to the simple peace in Britton for good?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the sound Lanik hears when he listens for the voice of the rock.
2. Why is Lanik able to escape from the grave that the people of Gill have buried him in?
3. As Lanik leaves Schwartz after asking for help, why is Lanik despondent?
4. Why is Lanik able to help Vran when she goes into labor?
5. Lanik descends into the rock to better hear the voice, but when he returns to the surface, his father is afraid. Why?
6. Why is Lanik hesitant to tell the innkeeper in Jones his real name?
7. Why must Lanik completely destroy the land of Anderson?
8. Why are the Schwartzes hesitant to help Lanik in his quest?
9. What does Lanik decide he must do in order to save the world?
10. How do the Nkumai treat Lanik's double when they first find him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics and roles of the Andersons and the Schwartzes in the story.
Essay Topic 2
When Lanik is banished from Mueller, his departure has significant consequences on many levels. Discuss what these consequences are, which characters are mildly affected, and which characters are most prominently affected. How do the characters' lives change?
Essay Topic 3
When Lanik get hurts during the escape from Nkumai, his double regenerates from part of Lanik's intestine that spills onto the ground.
a. How does this situation test Lanik's moral strength?
b. In what ways does Lanik's double continue to affect Lanik's life even though Lanik has left his double behind?
c. How might the story change if Lanik brought his double with him? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)