|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before being distracted by the sight of what is coming down the street in Jones, what is Lanik contemplating doing before leaving Jones?
2. What is the one way to stop a Mueller from regenerating?
3. What does Lanik do in the forest to bring the inhabitants out of hiding?
4. Where does Lanik instruct the impostor to meet him in order to discuss the truth in a private setting?
5. What word best describes Gill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lanik almost give up his vow of fidelity to Saranna?
2. Why is Lanik able to help Vran when she goes into labor?
3. As Lanik leaves Schwartz after asking for help, why is Lanik despondent?
4. Describe the land of Britton.
5. When Lanik confronts the captain of the guard in Gill, what does Lanik tell him?
6. Why does Lanik return to Mueller?
7. Why are the Schwartzes hesitant to help Lanik in his quest?
8. Why must Lanik completely destroy the land of Anderson?
9. What does Lanik do while staying in Jones?
10. What does Lanik reveal to his father upon returning to the surface after his descent into the rock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following regions in the story:
Essay Topic 2
Lanik has the opportunity to experience life in the country of his birth, and life in the country of his choosing.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in Mueller versus the living conditions in Britton. Include inhabitants, living conditions, pace of life, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Lanik between Mueller and Britton?
c. What, if anything, does Lanik like about Mueller?
d. What, if anything, does Lanik wish would change in Britton?
Essay Topic 3
Many key people help Lanik transform from the young man he is at the beginning of the story to the peacemaker who ends up saving the world. Compare and contrast the characteristics and traits of Teacher and Helmut. Be sure to include an examination of the teachings and lessons each character imparts to Lanik. Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)