|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lanik immediately upon his arrival in Gill?
2. Where must Lanik travel before he can return to the simple peace in Britton for good?
3. As he prepares to leave Ku Kuei, who must Lanik leave behind?
4. How does Lanik plan to travel to his next destination?
5. While Lanik is being held captive in Gill, a new prisoner arrives. Who is the new prisoner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lanik almost give up his vow of fidelity to Saranna?
2. Why does Lanik return to Mueller?
3. What does Lanik decide he must do in order to save the world?
4. How does Dinte die?
5. Why are the Schwartzes hesitant to help Lanik in his quest?
6. What happens when Lanik goes into quicktime?
7. What does Lanik reveal to his father upon returning to the surface after his descent into the rock?
8. As Lanik leaves Schwartz after asking for help, why is Lanik despondent?
9. Lanik descends into the rock to better hear the voice, but when he returns to the surface, his father is afraid. Why?
10. By going into quicktime, what does Lanik learn about the person who meets him on the beach near Anderson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following regions in the story:
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the conflict between reality and illusion plays out.
a. Identify three scenarios in which reality and illusion are at odds. What is the impact of this conflict on the situation and on the characters involved?
b. How can the conflict between reality and illusion be explained? Can the two ever co-exist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Lanik has the opportunity to experience life in the country of his birth, and life in the country of his choosing.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in Mueller versus the living conditions in Britton. Include inhabitants, living conditions, pace of life, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Lanik between Mueller and Britton?
c. What, if anything, does Lanik like about Mueller?
d. What, if anything, does Lanik wish would change in Britton?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)