|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Schwartzes, what is a great moral sacrifice?
2. Why are the people in Ku Kuei bored?
3. How long does it take the impostor to make his way into the agreed-upon meeting room?
4. What are the Schwartzes known as?
5. Leaving Schwartz, what does Lanik realize will scar him forever?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Lanik leaves Schwartz after asking for help, why is Lanik despondent?
2. Why is Lanik able to escape from the grave that the people of Gill have buried him in?
3. How does Dinte die?
4. What does Lanik learn in quicktime about the beautiful cottage on the beach near Anderson?
5. What happens when Lanik goes into quicktime?
6. Why does Lanik return to Mueller?
7. What does Lanik decide he must do in order to save the world?
8. How do the Nkumai treat Lanik's double when they first find him?
9. When Lanik realizes the deception taking place in the throne room, why does he not kill the impostors?
10. What does Lanik do while staying in Jones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lanik and Ensel Mueller.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role of relationships in each of their lives. How was each character affected by his relationships - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
When regeneratives gather and become overwhelmed with grief, they always complete a specific grieving ritual.
a. Describe the regeneratives' grief ritual.
b. Why do they conduct this ritual in this manner?
c. What do they accomplish by participating in this ritual?
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)