|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so strange about Ku Kuei?
2. According to the Schwartzes, what is a great moral sacrifice?
3. What is the name of the lord's servant?
4. What does Lanik realize about himself as he prepares to leave Ku Kuei?
5. While Lanik is away, who is killed in Gill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lanik able to escape from the grave that the people of Gill have buried him in?
2. Why does Lanik become a legend in Britton?
3. By going into quicktime, what does Lanik learn about the person who meets him on the beach near Anderson?
4. What does Lanik decide he must do in order to save the world?
5. Why does Lanik leave his horse with a stabler and make a hasty escape from Jones?
6. Why do the people of Gill react so harshly when Lanik arrives in their town?
7. After seeing Mwabao Mawa in Jones, what does Lanik realize about Mawa?
8. When Lanik confronts the captain of the guard in Gill, what does Lanik tell him?
9. Although Ensel tries to show joy at the comforting environment of the forest, he cannot. Why?
10. As Lanik leaves Schwartz after asking for help, why is Lanik despondent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lanik at the beginning and end of the story. How does Lanik's personality and character change as the story progresses? How does Lanik's role in world events change? How do the different places he visits change him? Provide examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several characters who attempt to kill Lanik.
a. Identify three characters who try to kill Lanik. Describe the situation and how Lanik escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Lanik, as well as these characters' motivations.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)