|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the lord's servant?
2. When the Schwartzes all lie down together before sending Lanik off, what shape do the Schwartzes form?
3. According to the Jones innkeeper, what is being stockpiled in Huss?
4. Who does Lanik heal after an assassination attempt on the lord and Lanik?
5. Before being distracted by the sight of what is coming down the street in Jones, what is Lanik contemplating doing before leaving Jones?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Schwartzes ultimately decide to help Lanik in his quest?
2. Why are the Schwartzes hesitant to help Lanik in his quest?
3. When Lanik confronts the captain of the guard in Gill, what does Lanik tell him?
4. Why is Lanik able to escape from the grave that the people of Gill have buried him in?
5. Why must Lanik completely destroy the land of Anderson?
6. When Lanik realizes the deception taking place in the throne room, why does he not kill the impostors?
7. Why does Lanik return to Mueller?
8. How does Dinte die?
9. Why does Lanik become a legend in Britton?
10. Why does Lanik almost give up his vow of fidelity to Saranna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lanik get hurts during the escape from Nkumai, his double regenerates from part of Lanik's intestine that spills onto the ground.
a. How does this situation test Lanik's moral strength?
b. In what ways does Lanik's double continue to affect Lanik's life even though Lanik has left his double behind?
c. How might the story change if Lanik brought his double with him? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
When regeneratives gather and become overwhelmed with grief, they always complete a specific grieving ritual.
a. Describe the regeneratives' grief ritual.
b. Why do they conduct this ritual in this manner?
c. What do they accomplish by participating in this ritual?
Essay Topic 3
Banishment to the planet Treason is a particularly severe punishment because Treason has no iron. Discuss the role of iron in the story. What is it used for? What is it traded for? How does iron drive the plot? Give examples to support your answer.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)