|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lanik, what is the main difference between his face and the face of his impostor after Lanik "healed" the impostor?
2. Why does Lanik go to Schwartz before undertaking his mission to destroy Anderson?
3. What is the name of the shepherd that Lanik helps in Britton?
4. When Lanik is attacked after being awakened in the night, what does Lanik do to his attacker?
5. What is the one way to stop a Mueller from regenerating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lanik descends into the rock to better hear the voice, but when he returns to the surface, his father is afraid. Why?
2. After seeing Mwabao Mawa in Jones, what does Lanik realize about Mawa?
3. Why is Lanik hesitant to tell the innkeeper in Jones his real name?
4. What does Lanik reveal to his father upon returning to the surface after his descent into the rock?
5. What does Lanik decide he must do in order to save the world?
6. Describe the sound Lanik hears when he listens for the voice of the rock.
7. Why is Lanik able to help Vran when she goes into labor?
8. What happens when Lanik goes into quicktime?
9. When Lanik confronts the captain of the guard in Gill, what does Lanik tell him?
10. Why do the Schwartzes ultimately decide to help Lanik in his quest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's clear that each region has unique characteristics.
a. How is Ku Kuei different from the other regions? Give three examples.
b. How is Nkumai different from the other regions? Give three examples.
c. How do the differences among the regions create additional angst in the story, and in Laniks's life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lanik at the beginning and end of the story. How does Lanik's personality and character change as the story progresses? How does Lanik's role in world events change? How do the different places he visits change him? Provide examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following regions in the story:
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)