|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lanik immediately upon his arrival in Gill?
2. While Lanik is being held captive in Gill, a new prisoner arrives. Who is the new prisoner?
3. What do the Schwartzes send along with Lanik as he departs their midst?
4. Who does Lanik argue at length with while in Schwartz?
5. When Lanik goes to the throne room in Gill using quicktime, he sees an old woman on the throne. Who is the old woman, really?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lanik hesitant to tell the innkeeper in Jones his real name?
2. How do the Nkumai treat Lanik's double when they first find him?
3. Why is Lanik able to help Vran when she goes into labor?
4. When Lanik confronts the captain of the guard in Gill, what does Lanik tell him?
5. Why do the Schwartzes ultimately decide to help Lanik in his quest?
6. Although Ensel tries to show joy at the comforting environment of the forest, he cannot. Why?
7. By going into quicktime, what does Lanik learn about the person who meets him on the beach near Anderson?
8. Who does Lanik realize is actually sitting on the throne in Mueller?
9. What does Lanik reveal to his father upon returning to the surface after his descent into the rock?
10. Why is Lanik able to escape from the grave that the people of Gill have buried him in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lanik is banished from Mueller, his departure has significant consequences on many levels. Discuss what these consequences are, which characters are mildly affected, and which characters are most prominently affected. How do the characters' lives change?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When regeneratives gather and become overwhelmed with grief, they always complete a specific grieving ritual.
a. Describe the regeneratives' grief ritual.
b. Why do they conduct this ritual in this manner?
c. What do they accomplish by participating in this ritual?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)