|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the innkeeper in Jones?
2. What does Lanik realize about himself as he prepares to leave Ku Kuei?
3. According to the conversation between the Jones innkeeper and Lanik, who is the power behind the king?
4. In Britton, what is a person who tends sheep called?
5. After Lanik feels the pain associated with killing his attacker, what does he realize about himself that he never believed before?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Schwartzes ultimately decide to help Lanik in his quest?
2. Describe the sound Lanik hears when he listens for the voice of the rock.
3. How do the Nkumai treat Lanik's double when they first find him?
4. Why is Lanik able to help Vran when she goes into labor?
5. When Lanik confronts the captain of the guard in Gill, what does Lanik tell him?
6. How does Dinte die?
7. Lanik descends into the rock to better hear the voice, but when he returns to the surface, his father is afraid. Why?
8. Why is Lanik able to escape from the grave that the people of Gill have buried him in?
9. Why does Lanik become a legend in Britton?
10. By going into quicktime, what does Lanik learn about the person who meets him on the beach near Anderson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lanik is banished from Mueller, his departure has significant consequences on many levels. Discuss what these consequences are, which characters are mildly affected, and which characters are most prominently affected. How do the characters' lives change?
Essay Topic 2
Lanik has the opportunity to experience life in the country of his birth, and life in the country of his choosing.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in Mueller versus the living conditions in Britton. Include inhabitants, living conditions, pace of life, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Lanik between Mueller and Britton?
c. What, if anything, does Lanik like about Mueller?
d. What, if anything, does Lanik wish would change in Britton?
Essay Topic 3
When Lanik get hurts during the escape from Nkumai, his double regenerates from part of Lanik's intestine that spills onto the ground.
a. How does this situation test Lanik's moral strength?
b. In what ways does Lanik's double continue to affect Lanik's life even though Lanik has left his double behind?
c. How might the story change if Lanik brought his double with him? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)