|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lanik immediately upon his arrival in Gill?
2. What is Lanik's original plan regarding the confrontation of Dinte in Mueller?
3. Who approaches Lanik on the beach when he lands near Anderson?
4. While growing up, who teaches Dinte's impostor to hate the Muellers?
5. Who does Lanik argue at length with while in Schwartz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the people of Gill react so harshly when Lanik arrives in their town?
2. Why are the Schwartzes hesitant to help Lanik in his quest?
3. Why is Lanik able to escape from the grave that the people of Gill have buried him in?
4. When Lanik realizes the deception taking place in the throne room, why does he not kill the impostors?
5. After seeing Mwabao Mawa in Jones, what does Lanik realize about Mawa?
6. Lanik descends into the rock to better hear the voice, but when he returns to the surface, his father is afraid. Why?
7. What does Lanik learn in quicktime about the beautiful cottage on the beach near Anderson?
8. How does Dinte die?
9. Why must Lanik completely destroy the land of Anderson?
10. What does Lanik do while staying in Jones?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lanik is banished from Mueller, his departure has significant consequences on many levels. Discuss what these consequences are, which characters are mildly affected, and which characters are most prominently affected. How do the characters' lives change?
Essay Topic 2
When Lanik get hurts during the escape from Nkumai, his double regenerates from part of Lanik's intestine that spills onto the ground.
a. How does this situation test Lanik's moral strength?
b. In what ways does Lanik's double continue to affect Lanik's life even though Lanik has left his double behind?
c. How might the story change if Lanik brought his double with him? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lanik at the beginning and end of the story. How does Lanik's personality and character change as the story progresses? How does Lanik's role in world events change? How do the different places he visits change him? Provide examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)