|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the illusion takes place, what does the stranger on the beach offer to do for Lanik?
2. After walking for some time through the forest, Lanik eventually gets tired and lies down. What does Ensel want to do?
3. What is the result from the last time that Lanik and Dinte's impostor had a meeting?
4. According to the conversation between the Jones innkeeper and Lanik, who is the power behind the king?
5. Why does the character who meets Lanik on the beach near Anderson use illusions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Nkumai treat Lanik's double when they first find him?
2. When Lanik confronts the captain of the guard in Gill, what does Lanik tell him?
3. Describe the sound Lanik hears when he listens for the voice of the rock.
4. By going into quicktime, what does Lanik learn about the person who meets him on the beach near Anderson?
5. Although Ensel tries to show joy at the comforting environment of the forest, he cannot. Why?
6. Why must Lanik completely destroy the land of Anderson?
7. Why does Lanik almost give up his vow of fidelity to Saranna?
8. Why do the Schwartzes ultimately decide to help Lanik in his quest?
9. What does Lanik reveal to his father upon returning to the surface after his descent into the rock?
10. Describe the land of Britton.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lanik get hurts during the escape from Nkumai, his double regenerates from part of Lanik's intestine that spills onto the ground.
a. How does this situation test Lanik's moral strength?
b. In what ways does Lanik's double continue to affect Lanik's life even though Lanik has left his double behind?
c. How might the story change if Lanik brought his double with him? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following regions in the story:
Essay Topic 3
When regeneratives gather and become overwhelmed with grief, they always complete a specific grieving ritual.
a. Describe the regeneratives' grief ritual.
b. Why do they conduct this ritual in this manner?
c. What do they accomplish by participating in this ritual?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)