|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Schwartzes known as?
2. What is so strange about Ku Kuei?
3. What is Lanik's original plan regarding the confrontation of Dinte in Mueller?
4. How does Lanik travel from land to land killing the illuders?
5. When Lanik is attacked after being awakened in the night, what does Lanik do to his attacker?
Short Essay Questions
1. By going into quicktime, what does Lanik learn about the person who meets him on the beach near Anderson?
2. Why does Lanik leave his horse with a stabler and make a hasty escape from Jones?
3. What does Lanik do while staying in Jones?
4. What does Lanik reveal to his father upon returning to the surface after his descent into the rock?
5. When Lanik confronts the captain of the guard in Gill, what does Lanik tell him?
6. As Lanik leaves Schwartz after asking for help, why is Lanik despondent?
7. Who does Lanik realize is actually sitting on the throne in Mueller?
8. Why must Lanik completely destroy the land of Anderson?
9. Although Ensel tries to show joy at the comforting environment of the forest, he cannot. Why?
10. What does Lanik learn in quicktime about the beautiful cottage on the beach near Anderson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lanik has the opportunity to experience life in the country of his birth, and life in the country of his choosing.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in Mueller versus the living conditions in Britton. Include inhabitants, living conditions, pace of life, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Lanik between Mueller and Britton?
c. What, if anything, does Lanik like about Mueller?
d. What, if anything, does Lanik wish would change in Britton?
Essay Topic 2
Lanik's journey parallels many people's journey from adolescence into adulthood. Examine how Lanik's journey parallels the journey from adolescence to adulthood, and provide examples of each stage in Lanik's journey. Be sure to examine his journey using the entire novel from beginning to end.
Essay Topic 3
Banishment to the planet Treason is a particularly severe punishment because Treason has no iron. Discuss the role of iron in the story. What is it used for? What is it traded for? How does iron drive the plot? Give examples to support your answer.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)