|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Jones innkeeper, what is being stockpiled in Huss?
2. What are the Schwartzes known as?
3. When Lanik is attacked after being awakened in the night, what does Lanik do to his attacker?
4. While Lanik is being held captive in Gill, a new prisoner arrives. Who is the new prisoner?
5. In Britton, what is a person who tends sheep called?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Nkumai treat Lanik's double when they first find him?
2. What does Lanik decide he must do in order to save the world?
3. Why are the Schwartzes hesitant to help Lanik in his quest?
4. Why does Lanik almost give up his vow of fidelity to Saranna?
5. Describe the sound Lanik hears when he listens for the voice of the rock.
6. When Lanik realizes the deception taking place in the throne room, why does he not kill the impostors?
7. Why does Lanik become a legend in Britton?
8. Why do the people of Gill react so harshly when Lanik arrives in their town?
9. Why does Lanik return to Mueller?
10. What happens when Lanik goes into quicktime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Lanik's journey parallels many people's journey from adolescence into adulthood. Examine how Lanik's journey parallels the journey from adolescence to adulthood, and provide examples of each stage in Lanik's journey. Be sure to examine his journey using the entire novel from beginning to end.
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled, "A Planet Called Treason". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Lanik's life?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)