|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at least twice a day in Nkumai?
2. After telling Lanik the source of their iron sales, what does the highest official in the land demand from Lanik?
3. After Lanik slips into the castle in Mueller, what does Lanik cause to happen?
4. After receiving a gift from the Earth, what must one do?
5. What does transsexual growth indicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Lanik languishes in his cell, he has a visitor. What is Lanik's visitor absolutely sure of?
2. Why do the captain and crew eventually beg Lanik for mercy?
3. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
4. Describe Mwabao Mawa.
5. Why does Lanik not sever his thumbs in order to escape the cruel bonds?
6. When Lanik stays in an inn, he realizes just how great the poverty is in this land. How does he realize the extent of the poverty?
7. How does Lanik escape from his prison high in the trees?
8. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
9. Why does Lanik claim to be from the land of Bird?
10. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lanik and Ensel Mueller.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role of relationships in each of their lives. How was each character affected by his relationships - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following regions in the story:
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled, "A Planet Called Treason". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Lanik's life?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)