|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the story's protagonist?
2. According to what Lanik learns from his visitor, who rules Mueller?
3. How do regenerative powers increase in the Family?
4. What does the person helping Lanik give him before he departs?
5. What is wrong with the bread served to Lanik by the slavers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has the old soldier done to disrupt the trade involving the radical regeneratives?
2. Why do the captain and crew eventually beg Lanik for mercy?
3. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
4. What does Mowa reveal about herself just before Lanik escapes?
5. Why does Lanik claim to be from the land of Bird?
6. Why does Lanik not sever his thumbs in order to escape the cruel bonds?
7. What does Father ask Lanik to discover as part of his new role?
8. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
9. How does Lanik escape from his prison high in the trees?
10. After escaping the castle, what does Lanik learn about his double?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lanik is banished from Mueller, his departure has significant consequences on many levels. Discuss what these consequences are, which characters are mildly affected, and which characters are most prominently affected. How do the characters' lives change?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lanik at the beginning and end of the story. How does Lanik's personality and character change as the story progresses? How does Lanik's role in world events change? How do the different places he visits change him? Provide examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Lanik enters Nkumai under the guise of being the ambassador from Bird. Just as Lanik is living under false pretenses, so to is Mwabao Mawa..
a. Compare and contrast these two characters.
b. How do these characters justify their false pretenses?
c. Which of these two characters is more justified in deceiving those around them? Why?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)