|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the young boy challenges Lanik to manipulate rock, what is the first thing Lanik asks for?
2. When Lanik flings himself into the ocean, what does he hope for?
3. What is the currency on the planet?
4. What happens when the guards inform Lanik that his cover has been blown?
5. Why does Lanik demand to be taken above-board on the slave ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lanik learn in quicktime about the beautiful cottage on the beach near Anderson?
2. Why do the captain and crew eventually beg Lanik for mercy?
3. What does Lanik do while staying in Jones?
4. What effect has watching Lanik and Saranna had on the people of Ku Kuei?
5. Lanik descends into the rock to better hear the voice, but when he returns to the surface, his father is afraid. Why?
6. Why does Lanik claim to be from the land of Bird?
7. As Lanik leaves Schwartz after asking for help, why is Lanik despondent?
8. Although Ensel tries to show joy at the comforting environment of the forest, he cannot. Why?
9. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
10. What three things do Lanik and Saranna do when they finally settle down in their chosen land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lanik has the opportunity to experience life in the country of his birth, and life in the country of his choosing.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in Mueller versus the living conditions in Britton. Include inhabitants, living conditions, pace of life, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Lanik between Mueller and Britton?
c. What, if anything, does Lanik like about Mueller?
d. What, if anything, does Lanik wish would change in Britton?
Essay Topic 2
Lanik visits a number of interesting and unique places as he travels throughout the lands. Pick any three places and describe each place in detail. Then, compare and contrast these three lands that you've chosen in terms of village layouts, talents, and skills acquired and used, and the characteristics of the inhabitants of each land.
Essay Topic 3
Lanik's radical regeneration affects the storyline in a multitude of ways.
a. Describe three different story lines that unfold as a direct result of Lanik being a radical regenerative.
b. How does becoming a radical regenerative affect Lanik? How does Lanik's condition affect the people around him?
c. In Lanik's situation, how would you react to these circumstances? Can you understand Lanik's reactions? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,534 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)