|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lanik comes to after collapsing in the desert, a young boy is near him. What is the young boy's name?
2. Why does the forest seem strange to Lanik?
3. Why is the person Lanik meets afraid, at first, to help him?
4. As Lanik travels away from the desert people, he requests clothes and is asked his name. What happens when Lanik tells people who he is?
5. What happens when the group of four enters the forest and then reaches the lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lanik claim to be from the land of Bird?
2. As Lanik languishes in his cell, he has a visitor. What is Lanik's visitor absolutely sure of?
3. What does Father ask Lanik to discover as part of his new role?
4. Describe Dinte's character.
5. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
6. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
7. The group of men in the desert "heals" Lanik. What is the result of the group's healing?
8. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
9. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
10. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lanik's journey parallels many people's journey from adolescence into adulthood. Examine how Lanik's journey parallels the journey from adolescence to adulthood, and provide examples of each stage in Lanik's journey. Be sure to examine his journey using the entire novel from beginning to end.
Essay Topic 2
Lanik enters Nkumai under the guise of being the ambassador from Bird. Just as Lanik is living under false pretenses, so to is Mwabao Mawa..
a. Compare and contrast these two characters.
b. How do these characters justify their false pretenses?
c. Which of these two characters is more justified in deceiving those around them? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Many key people help Lanik transform from the young man he is at the beginning of the story to the peacemaker who ends up saving the world. Compare and contrast the characteristics and traits of Teacher and Helmut. Be sure to include an examination of the teachings and lessons each character imparts to Lanik. Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)