|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the castle in Mueller, where does the group of four head to?
2. When Lanik is in his prison cell in Mueller, who comes to visit him?
3. What happens when the group of four enters the forest and then reaches the lake?
4. What are "cruel bonds"?
5. What does Lanik demand from the captain of the slave ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Lanik leaves Schwartz after asking for help, why is Lanik despondent?
2. Describe the sound Lanik hears when he listens for the voice of the rock.
3. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
4. Describe the land of Britton.
5. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
6. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
7. Why is Lanik able to escape from the grave that the people of Gill have buried him in?
8. Why do the Nkumai bind their prisoners' hands with cruel bonds?
9. What is unique about a radical regenerative?
10. What does Lanik do while staying in Jones?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lanik and Ensel Mueller.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role of relationships in each of their lives. How was each character affected by his relationships - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following regions in the story:
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several characters who attempt to kill Lanik.
a. Identify three characters who try to kill Lanik. Describe the situation and how Lanik escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Lanik, as well as these characters' motivations.
This section contains 1,493 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)