|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lanik realize as he watches the people who make their home in the desert?
2. Why does Lanik eventually prepare to leave the desert people?
3. What happens at least twice a day in Nkumai?
4. Where does Lanik leave the slave ship?
5. Why does the forest seem strange to Lanik?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are people in Nkumai known?
2. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
3. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
4. When Lanik stays in an inn, he realizes just how great the poverty is in this land. How does he realize the extent of the poverty?
5. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
6. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
7. Why does Lanik claim to be from the land of Bird?
8. What does Lanik's body do with all of the energy he is eating?
9. Describe Mwabao Mawa.
10. What does Father ask Lanik to discover as part of his new role?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book is entitled, "A Planet Called Treason". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Lanik's life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lanik and Ensel Mueller.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role of relationships in each of their lives. How was each character affected by his relationships - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
When regeneratives gather and become overwhelmed with grief, they always complete a specific grieving ritual.
a. Describe the regeneratives' grief ritual.
b. Why do they conduct this ritual in this manner?
c. What do they accomplish by participating in this ritual?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)