|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the assassination attempt on the main character, where does the main character flee to?
2. As the main character prepares to leave his homeland, what does he notice being kept in pens?
3. How does Lanik get the knife he uses during his escape?
4. According to the person taking Lanik to Nkumai, how many ambassadors are in Nkumai?
5. When Lanik comes to after collapsing in the desert, a young boy is near him. What is the young boy's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Nkumai so frightening to Lanik?
2. What does Mowa reveal about herself just before Lanik escapes?
3. What does the old soldier hope that Lanik will learn from the books the soldier has?
4. What does Father ask Lanik to discover as part of his new role?
5. The group of men in the desert "heals" Lanik. What is the result of the group's healing?
6. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
7. How does Lanik escape from his prison high in the trees?
8. When Lanik stays in an inn, he realizes just how great the poverty is in this land. How does he realize the extent of the poverty?
9. What does Lanik's body do with all of the energy he is eating?
10. Why does Lanik not sever his thumbs in order to escape the cruel bonds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lanik enters Nkumai under the guise of being the ambassador from Bird. Just as Lanik is living under false pretenses, so to is Mwabao Mawa..
a. Compare and contrast these two characters.
b. How do these characters justify their false pretenses?
c. Which of these two characters is more justified in deceiving those around them? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The book is entitled, "A Planet Called Treason". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Lanik's life?
Essay Topic 3
It's clear that each region has unique characteristics.
a. How is Ku Kuei different from the other regions? Give three examples.
b. How is Nkumai different from the other regions? Give three examples.
c. How do the differences among the regions create additional angst in the story, and in Laniks's life?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)