|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lanik demand to be taken above-board on the slave ship?
2. Why does Lanik eventually prepare to leave the desert people?
3. As he is making his escape, how does Lanik become wounded?
4. Why does the forest seem strange to Lanik?
5. How does Lanik feel about his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
2. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
3. How does Lanik escape from his prison high in the trees?
4. Describe Dinte's character.
5. How are people in Nkumai known?
6. Why does Lanik claim to be from the land of Bird?
7. The group of men in the desert "heals" Lanik. What is the result of the group's healing?
8. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
9. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
10. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lanik visits a number of interesting and unique places as he travels throughout the lands. Pick any three places and describe each place in detail. Then, compare and contrast these three lands that you've chosen in terms of village layouts, talents, and skills acquired and used, and the characteristics of the inhabitants of each land.
Essay Topic 2
When Lanik get hurts during the escape from Nkumai, his double regenerates from part of Lanik's intestine that spills onto the ground.
a. How does this situation test Lanik's moral strength?
b. In what ways does Lanik's double continue to affect Lanik's life even though Lanik has left his double behind?
c. How might the story change if Lanik brought his double with him? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)