|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he reaches the ground, what leaks out of Lanik and falls on the ground?
2. What people are on the ship that picks up Lanik?
3. What is wrong with the meat served to Lanik by the slavers?
4. When Lanik is returned to his homeland and charged with a number of crimes, what is Lanik's sentence for committing these crimes?
5. How big is the cell on the ship in which Lanik is imprisoned?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lanik finally comes to after collapsing in the desert, what occurs to help him realize that he may not die?
2. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
3. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
4. As Lanik languishes in his cell, he has a visitor. What is Lanik's visitor absolutely sure of?
5. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
6. How are people in Nkumai known?
7. What has the old soldier done to disrupt the trade involving the radical regeneratives?
8. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
9. After escaping the castle, what does Lanik learn about his double?
10. Describe Mwabao Mawa.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following regions in the story:
Essay Topic 2
Lanik's radical regeneration affects the storyline in a multitude of ways.
a. Describe three different story lines that unfold as a direct result of Lanik being a radical regenerative.
b. How does becoming a radical regenerative affect Lanik? How does Lanik's condition affect the people around him?
c. In Lanik's situation, how would you react to these circumstances? Can you understand Lanik's reactions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Lanik get hurts during the escape from Nkumai, his double regenerates from part of Lanik's intestine that spills onto the ground.
a. How does this situation test Lanik's moral strength?
b. In what ways does Lanik's double continue to affect Lanik's life even though Lanik has left his double behind?
c. How might the story change if Lanik brought his double with him? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)