|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the assassination attempt on the main character, where does the main character flee to?
2. After receiving a gift from the Earth, what must one do?
3. As the story opens, what condition is the main character facing?
4. After the young boy challenges Lanik to manipulate rock, what is the first thing Lanik asks for?
5. What is the first town that Lanik comes to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
2. What three things do Lanik and Saranna do when they finally settle down in their chosen land?
3. How do the Nkumai treat Lanik's double when they first find him?
4. What does Lanik do while staying in Jones?
5. How are people in Nkumai known?
6. What does Father ask Lanik to discover as part of his new role?
7. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
8. Why is Lanik able to escape from the grave that the people of Gill have buried him in?
9. What does Lanik decide he must do in order to save the world?
10. Why do the captain and crew eventually beg Lanik for mercy?
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The book is entitled, "A Planet Called Treason". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Lanik's life?
Essay Topic 3
Lanik enters Nkumai under the guise of being the ambassador from Bird. Just as Lanik is living under false pretenses, so to is Mwabao Mawa..
a. Compare and contrast these two characters.
b. How do these characters justify their false pretenses?
c. Which of these two characters is more justified in deceiving those around them? Why?
This section contains 1,474 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)