|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lanik meet as he travels to Ku Kuei?
2. Of the currency tendered on the planet, what is the most valuable form of currency?
3. What do the people of Nkumai do first thing every morning?
4. When Lanik is captured, he claims to be an ambassador. What land does he claim to be from?
5. What does the person helping Lanik give him before he departs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are people in Nkumai known?
2. What is unique about a radical regenerative?
3. Describe Dinte's character.
4. After escaping the castle, what does Lanik learn about his double?
5. What makes Nkumai so frightening to Lanik?
6. When Lanik finally comes to after collapsing in the desert, what occurs to help him realize that he may not die?
7. What does Mowa reveal about herself just before Lanik escapes?
8. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
9. What has the old soldier done to disrupt the trade involving the radical regeneratives?
10. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When regeneratives gather and become overwhelmed with grief, they always complete a specific grieving ritual.
a. Describe the regeneratives' grief ritual.
b. Why do they conduct this ritual in this manner?
c. What do they accomplish by participating in this ritual?
Essay Topic 2
Lanik's radical regeneration affects the storyline in a multitude of ways.
a. Describe three different story lines that unfold as a direct result of Lanik being a radical regenerative.
b. How does becoming a radical regenerative affect Lanik? How does Lanik's condition affect the people around him?
c. In Lanik's situation, how would you react to these circumstances? Can you understand Lanik's reactions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Banishment to the planet Treason is a particularly severe punishment because Treason has no iron. Discuss the role of iron in the story. What is it used for? What is it traded for? How does iron drive the plot? Give examples to support your answer.
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)