|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lanik demand to be taken above-board on the slave ship?
2. What does the land of Mueller exchange for iron?
3. When Lanik flings himself into the ocean, what does he hope for?
4. What is the name of the story's protagonist?
5. What does transsexual growth indicate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Father ask Lanik to discover as part of his new role?
2. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
3. What does Mowa reveal about herself just before Lanik escapes?
4. Why do the Nkumai bind their prisoners' hands with cruel bonds?
5. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
6. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
7. What does Lanik's body do with all of the energy he is eating?
8. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
9. The group of men in the desert "heals" Lanik. What is the result of the group's healing?
10. As Lanik languishes in his cell, he has a visitor. What is Lanik's visitor absolutely sure of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lanik enters Nkumai under the guise of being the ambassador from Bird. Just as Lanik is living under false pretenses, so to is Mwabao Mawa..
a. Compare and contrast these two characters.
b. How do these characters justify their false pretenses?
c. Which of these two characters is more justified in deceiving those around them? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Lanik visits a number of interesting and unique places as he travels throughout the lands. Pick any three places and describe each place in detail. Then, compare and contrast these three lands that you've chosen in terms of village layouts, talents, and skills acquired and used, and the characteristics of the inhabitants of each land.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lanik and Ensel Mueller.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role of relationships in each of their lives. How was each character affected by his relationships - both positively and negatively?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)