|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he reaches the ground, what leaks out of Lanik and falls on the ground?
2. Where does Lanik leave the slave ship?
3. Who is taking Lanik to Nkumai?
4. Why does the forest seem strange to Lanik?
5. Why does Lanik eventually prepare to leave the desert people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lanik almost give up his vow of fidelity to Saranna?
2. Why do the Schwartzes ultimately decide to help Lanik in his quest?
3. What does Lanik do when he returns to Saranna in Ku Kuei?
4. What is unique about a radical regenerative?
5. What does Lanik decide he must do in order to save the world?
6. Describe the sound Lanik hears when he listens for the voice of the rock.
7. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
8. Describe Dinte's character.
9. Although Ensel tries to show joy at the comforting environment of the forest, he cannot. Why?
10. Why do the Nkumai bind their prisoners' hands with cruel bonds?
Essay Topic 1
Banishment to the planet Treason is a particularly severe punishment because Treason has no iron. Discuss the role of iron in the story. What is it used for? What is it traded for? How does iron drive the plot? Give examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Lanik has the opportunity to experience life in the country of his birth, and life in the country of his choosing.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in Mueller versus the living conditions in Britton. Include inhabitants, living conditions, pace of life, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Lanik between Mueller and Britton?
c. What, if anything, does Lanik like about Mueller?
d. What, if anything, does Lanik wish would change in Britton?
Essay Topic 3
When Lanik get hurts during the escape from Nkumai, his double regenerates from part of Lanik's intestine that spills onto the ground.
a. How does this situation test Lanik's moral strength?
b. In what ways does Lanik's double continue to affect Lanik's life even though Lanik has left his double behind?
c. How might the story change if Lanik brought his double with him? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,510 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)