|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the person Lanik meets afraid, at first, to help him?
2. What happens at least twice a day in Nkumai?
3. What is the name of the old soldier who joins Lanik and his two friends as Lanik prepares to leave Mueller?
4. What does the person helping Lanik give him before he departs?
5. As Lanik travels away from the desert people, he requests clothes and is asked his name. What happens when Lanik tells people who he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lanik's body do with all of the energy he is eating?
2. What is unique about a radical regenerative?
3. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
4. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
5. Why do the Nkumai bind their prisoners' hands with cruel bonds?
6. How does Lanik escape from his prison high in the trees?
7. After escaping the castle, what does Lanik learn about his double?
8. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
9. What does Mowa reveal about herself just before Lanik escapes?
10. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several characters who attempt to kill Lanik.
a. Identify three characters who try to kill Lanik. Describe the situation and how Lanik escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Lanik, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 3
Lanik has the opportunity to experience life in the country of his birth, and life in the country of his choosing.
a. Compare and contrast the living conditions in Mueller versus the living conditions in Britton. Include inhabitants, living conditions, pace of life, opportunities, and attitudes in your answer.
b. What are the biggest differences to Lanik between Mueller and Britton?
c. What, if anything, does Lanik like about Mueller?
d. What, if anything, does Lanik wish would change in Britton?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)