|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lanik demand from the captain of the slave ship?
2. What secret does Lanik hold that enables him to make his escape?
3. When Lanik is captured, he claims to be an ambassador. What land does he claim to be from?
4. After leaving the castle in Mueller, where does the group of four head to?
5. According to the person taking Lanik to Nkumai, how many ambassadors are in Nkumai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
2. Why do the captain and crew eventually beg Lanik for mercy?
3. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
4. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
5. As Lanik languishes in his cell, he has a visitor. What is Lanik's visitor absolutely sure of?
6. The group of men in the desert "heals" Lanik. What is the result of the group's healing?
7. How are people in Nkumai known?
8. Describe Mwabao Mawa.
9. What does Mowa reveal about herself just before Lanik escapes?
10. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lanik's beliefs and loyalties at the following points in the story.
a. When Lanik is still the heir apparent living in Mueller.
b. After Lanik is disinherited and banished to Nkumai.
c. When Lanik learns of his double's killing and destroying of lands, and of the blame others wrongly place on Lanik.
d. After Lanik returns to Ku Kuei to be reunited with Saranna.
Essay Topic 2
Lanik's radical regeneration affects the storyline in a multitude of ways.
a. Describe three different story lines that unfold as a direct result of Lanik being a radical regenerative.
b. How does becoming a radical regenerative affect Lanik? How does Lanik's condition affect the people around him?
c. In Lanik's situation, how would you react to these circumstances? Can you understand Lanik's reactions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several characters who attempt to kill Lanik.
a. Identify three characters who try to kill Lanik. Describe the situation and how Lanik escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Lanik, as well as these characters' motivations.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)