|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lanik is returned to his homeland and charged with a number of crimes, what is Lanik's sentence for committing these crimes?
2. Who does the main character refuse to take with him as he flees for his life?
3. What land are the slavers from?
4. As the story opens, what condition is the main character facing?
5. As the main character prepares to leave his homeland, what does he notice being kept in pens?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
2. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
3. What does the old soldier hope that Lanik will learn from the books the soldier has?
4. What has the old soldier done to disrupt the trade involving the radical regeneratives?
5. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
6. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
7. What does Father ask Lanik to discover as part of his new role?
8. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
9. The group of men in the desert "heals" Lanik. What is the result of the group's healing?
10. Why do the captain and crew eventually beg Lanik for mercy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Lanik is banished from Mueller, his departure has significant consequences on many levels. Discuss what these consequences are, which characters are mildly affected, and which characters are most prominently affected. How do the characters' lives change?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lanik's beliefs and loyalties at the following points in the story.
a. When Lanik is still the heir apparent living in Mueller.
b. After Lanik is disinherited and banished to Nkumai.
c. When Lanik learns of his double's killing and destroying of lands, and of the blame others wrongly place on Lanik.
d. After Lanik returns to Ku Kuei to be reunited with Saranna.
Essay Topic 3
When Lanik get hurts during the escape from Nkumai, his double regenerates from part of Lanik's intestine that spills onto the ground.
a. How does this situation test Lanik's moral strength?
b. In what ways does Lanik's double continue to affect Lanik's life even though Lanik has left his double behind?
c. How might the story change if Lanik brought his double with him? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)