|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he is making his escape, how does Lanik become wounded?
2. How do regenerative powers increase in the Family?
3. As the group of four leaves Mueller, what does the old soldier take with him?
4. Lanik becomes legendary in the land of Sill. What is Lanik known as?
5. Where does Lanik leave the slave ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Nkumai bind their prisoners' hands with cruel bonds?
2. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
3. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
4. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
5. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
6. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
7. When Lanik finally comes to after collapsing in the desert, what occurs to help him realize that he may not die?
8. Why does Lanik not sever his thumbs in order to escape the cruel bonds?
9. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
10. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics and roles of the Andersons and the Schwartzes in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Lanik visits a number of interesting and unique places as he travels throughout the lands. Pick any three places and describe each place in detail. Then, compare and contrast these three lands that you've chosen in terms of village layouts, talents, and skills acquired and used, and the characteristics of the inhabitants of each land.
Essay Topic 3
When Lanik get hurts during the escape from Nkumai, his double regenerates from part of Lanik's intestine that spills onto the ground.
a. How does this situation test Lanik's moral strength?
b. In what ways does Lanik's double continue to affect Lanik's life even though Lanik has left his double behind?
c. How might the story change if Lanik brought his double with him? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)