|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the main character prepares to leave his homeland, what does he notice being kept in pens?
2. Who teaches Lanik how to care for his basic needs in the trees?
3. What people are on the ship that picks up Lanik?
4. Who is the highest official in Nkumai?
5. What is the only way to kill a regenerative?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
2. When Lanik stays in an inn, he realizes just how great the poverty is in this land. How does he realize the extent of the poverty?
3. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
4. Describe Dinte's character.
5. What does Father ask Lanik to discover as part of his new role?
6. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
7. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
8. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
9. What makes Nkumai so frightening to Lanik?
10. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lanik's radical regeneration affects the storyline in a multitude of ways.
a. Describe three different story lines that unfold as a direct result of Lanik being a radical regenerative.
b. How does becoming a radical regenerative affect Lanik? How does Lanik's condition affect the people around him?
c. In Lanik's situation, how would you react to these circumstances? Can you understand Lanik's reactions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Many key people help Lanik transform from the young man he is at the beginning of the story to the peacemaker who ends up saving the world. Compare and contrast the characteristics and traits of Teacher and Helmut. Be sure to include an examination of the teachings and lessons each character imparts to Lanik. Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled, "A Planet Called Treason". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Lanik's life?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)