|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lanik escape from prison?
2. Why do the crew members try to discourage Lanik from demanding to go above-board?
3. While in the castle in Mueller, whose throat does Lanik slit?
4. What is wrong with the meat served to Lanik by the slavers?
5. According to what Lanik learns from his visitor, who rules Mueller?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
2. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
3. Describe Mwabao Mawa.
4. What is unique about a radical regenerative?
5. The group of men in the desert "heals" Lanik. What is the result of the group's healing?
6. What does the old soldier hope that Lanik will learn from the books the soldier has?
7. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
8. Why does Lanik claim to be from the land of Bird?
9. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
10. How are people in Nkumai known?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lanik and Ensel Mueller.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role of relationships in each of their lives. How was each character affected by his relationships - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Lanik's radical regeneration affects the storyline in a multitude of ways.
a. Describe three different story lines that unfold as a direct result of Lanik being a radical regenerative.
b. How does becoming a radical regenerative affect Lanik? How does Lanik's condition affect the people around him?
c. In Lanik's situation, how would you react to these circumstances? Can you understand Lanik's reactions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lanik at the beginning and end of the story. How does Lanik's personality and character change as the story progresses? How does Lanik's role in world events change? How do the different places he visits change him? Provide examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)