|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person helping Lanik give him before he departs?
2. As the story opens, what condition is the main character facing?
3. What is the name of the old soldier who joins Lanik and his two friends as Lanik prepares to leave Mueller?
4. What people are on the ship that picks up Lanik?
5. As the main character prepares to leave his homeland, what does he notice being kept in pens?
Short Essay Questions
1. After escaping the castle, what does Lanik learn about his double?
2. As Lanik languishes in his cell, he has a visitor. What is Lanik's visitor absolutely sure of?
3. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
4. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
5. When Lanik stays in an inn, he realizes just how great the poverty is in this land. How does he realize the extent of the poverty?
6. What does the old soldier hope that Lanik will learn from the books the soldier has?
7. When Lanik finally comes to after collapsing in the desert, what occurs to help him realize that he may not die?
8. Why do the captain and crew eventually beg Lanik for mercy?
9. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
10. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lanik enters Nkumai under the guise of being the ambassador from Bird. Just as Lanik is living under false pretenses, so to is Mwabao Mawa..
a. Compare and contrast these two characters.
b. How do these characters justify their false pretenses?
c. Which of these two characters is more justified in deceiving those around them? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The book is entitled, "A Planet Called Treason". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Lanik's life?
Essay Topic 3
Banishment to the planet Treason is a particularly severe punishment because Treason has no iron. Discuss the role of iron in the story. What is it used for? What is it traded for? How does iron drive the plot? Give examples to support your answer.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)