|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lanik leave the slave ship?
2. As a result of his condition, what happens to the main character when he meets with his father?
3. What two words describe the people aboard the slave ship?
4. What does the land of Mueller exchange for iron?
5. As he is making his escape, how does Lanik become wounded?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are people in Nkumai known?
2. What does Father ask Lanik to discover as part of his new role?
3. What does Mowa reveal about herself just before Lanik escapes?
4. What is unique about a radical regenerative?
5. The group of men in the desert "heals" Lanik. What is the result of the group's healing?
6. Why do the captain and crew eventually beg Lanik for mercy?
7. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
8. How does Lanik escape from his prison high in the trees?
9. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
10. Why do the Nkumai bind their prisoners' hands with cruel bonds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in this novel involves deceptive appearances.
a. Identify three characters that use deceptive appearances to further their interests.
b. Why do these characters rely on deception?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful or would they have been more successful if they had not been deceptive? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the conflict between reality and illusion plays out.
a. Identify three scenarios in which reality and illusion are at odds. What is the impact of this conflict on the situation and on the characters involved?
b. How can the conflict between reality and illusion be explained? Can the two ever co-exist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The book is entitled, "A Planet Called Treason". Why did the author choose this title? How does the title foreshadow the story of Lanik's life?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)