|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the person helping Lanik finally willing to help him?
2. Where does Lanik leave the slave ship?
3. According to Lanik's first conversation with the highest official in the land, what do the Nkumai people sell for iron?
4. How do regenerative powers increase in the Family?
5. Who does Lanik meet as he travels to Ku Kuei?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
2. What does Lanik's body do with all of the energy he is eating?
3. After escaping the castle, what does Lanik learn about his double?
4. Describe Mwabao Mawa.
5. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
6. The group of men in the desert "heals" Lanik. What is the result of the group's healing?
7. What does Father ask Lanik to discover as part of his new role?
8. What does the old soldier hope that Lanik will learn from the books the soldier has?
9. How does Lanik escape from his prison high in the trees?
10. What makes Nkumai so frightening to Lanik?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many key people help Lanik transform from the young man he is at the beginning of the story to the peacemaker who ends up saving the world. Compare and contrast the characteristics and traits of Teacher and Helmut. Be sure to include an examination of the teachings and lessons each character imparts to Lanik. Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
It's clear that each region has unique characteristics.
a. How is Ku Kuei different from the other regions? Give three examples.
b. How is Nkumai different from the other regions? Give three examples.
c. How do the differences among the regions create additional angst in the story, and in Laniks's life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characteristics and roles of the Andersons and the Schwartzes in the story.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)