|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lanik travels away from the desert people, he requests clothes and is asked his name. What happens when Lanik tells people who he is?
2. Which wife of Mueller is Lanik's mother?
3. What do the people in Nkumai eat?
4. When Lanik is captured, he claims to be an ambassador. What land does he claim to be from?
5. How does Lanik get the knife he uses during his escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lanik escape from his prison high in the trees?
2. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
3. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
4. When Lanik stays in an inn, he realizes just how great the poverty is in this land. How does he realize the extent of the poverty?
5. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
6. What does Lanik's body do with all of the energy he is eating?
7. What does the old soldier hope that Lanik will learn from the books the soldier has?
8. Why do the captain and crew eventually beg Lanik for mercy?
9. As Lanik languishes in his cell, he has a visitor. What is Lanik's visitor absolutely sure of?
10. Describe Dinte's character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lanik enters Nkumai under the guise of being the ambassador from Bird. Just as Lanik is living under false pretenses, so to is Mwabao Mawa..
a. Compare and contrast these two characters.
b. How do these characters justify their false pretenses?
c. Which of these two characters is more justified in deceiving those around them? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Many key people help Lanik transform from the young man he is at the beginning of the story to the peacemaker who ends up saving the world. Compare and contrast the characteristics and traits of Teacher and Helmut. Be sure to include an examination of the teachings and lessons each character imparts to Lanik. Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 3
When Lanik is banished from Mueller, his departure has significant consequences on many levels. Discuss what these consequences are, which characters are mildly affected, and which characters are most prominently affected. How do the characters' lives change?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)