Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the castle in Mueller, where does the group of four head to?
2. When Lanik is in his prison cell in Mueller, who comes to visit him?
3. What happens when the group of four enters the forest and then reaches the lake?
4. What are "cruel bonds"?
5. What does Lanik demand from the captain of the slave ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Lanik leaves Schwartz after asking for help, why is Lanik despondent?
2. Describe the sound Lanik hears when he listens for the voice of the rock.
3. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
4. Describe the land of Britton.
5. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
6. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
7. Why is Lanik able to escape from the grave that the people of Gill have buried him in?
8. Why do the Nkumai bind their prisoners' hands with cruel bonds?
9. What is unique about a radical regenerative?
10. What does Lanik do while staying in Jones?
Essay Topic 1
Lanik's radical regeneration affects the storyline in a multitude of ways.
a. Describe three different story lines that unfold as a direct result of Lanik being a radical regenerative.
b. How does becoming a radical regenerative affect Lanik? How does Lanik's condition affect the people around him?
c. In Lanik's situation, how would you react to these circumstances? Can you understand Lanik's reactions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the conflict between reality and illusion plays out.
a. Identify three scenarios in which reality and illusion are at odds. What is the impact of this conflict on the situation and on the characters involved?
b. How can the conflict between reality and illusion be explained? Can the two ever co-exist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lanik's beliefs and loyalties at the following points in the story.
a. When Lanik is still the heir apparent living in Mueller.
b. After Lanik is disinherited and banished to Nkumai.
c. When Lanik learns of his double's killing and destroying of lands, and of the blame others wrongly place on Lanik.
d. After Lanik returns to Ku Kuei to be reunited with Saranna.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)