|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the highest official in Nkumai?
2. How does the Family first receive regenerative powers?
(a) Through genetic engineering experiments.
(b) Through a prophesied message.
(c) Through a special food.
(d) Through a witch's spell.
3. Upon arriving in Nkumai, where does the guide take Lanik?
(a) To the customs office.
(b) To the home of the land's highest official.
(c) To the guide's home.
(d) To the home of the elite guard.
4. When Lanik flings himself into the ocean, what does he hope for?
(a) To float away to safety.
(b) To land safely on another shore.
(c) To be rescued by a nearby boat.
(d) To drown.
5. What land are the slavers from?
(c) Ku Kuei.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the guards inform Lanik that his cover has been blown?
2. Which wife of Mueller is Lanik's mother?
3. After telling Lanik the source of their iron sales, what does the highest official in the land demand from Lanik?
4. When Lanik is in his prison cell in Mueller, who comes to visit him?
5. As Lanik travels away from the desert people, he requests clothes and is asked his name. What happens when Lanik tells people who he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
2. Why does Lanik not sever his thumbs in order to escape the cruel bonds?
3. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
4. What makes Nkumai so frightening to Lanik?
5. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
6. The group of men in the desert "heals" Lanik. What is the result of the group's healing?
7. What does the old soldier hope that Lanik will learn from the books the soldier has?
8. When Lanik finally comes to after collapsing in the desert, what occurs to help him realize that he may not die?
9. Describe Dinte's character.
10. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)