|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the original settler of Nkumai?
(a) A physicist.
(b) A doctor.
(c) An urban planner.
(d) A rebel spy.
2. According to Lanik's first conversation with the highest official in the land, what do the Nkumai people sell for iron?
(a) The smells of the swamp.
(b) Freshly caught rain water.
(c) Vessels carved from wood.
(d) Rare tree bark.
3. What does Lanik demand from the captain of the slave ship?
(a) To be set ashore on the nearest land.
(b) To be given edible food.
(c) To be thrown overboard.
(d) To be freed unconditionally.
4. What is wrong with the bread served to Lanik by the slavers?
(a) The bread is moldy.
(b) The bread is stale.
(c) The bread is unleavened.
(d) The bread is old.
5. Why is the person helping Lanik finally willing to help him?
(a) The person helping Lanik is a loyal citizen.
(b) The person helping Lanik is a rebel spy.
(c) The person helping Lanik has also been wrongfully accused.
(d) The person helping Lanik has no love for the king.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boat owners decide to do with Lanik?
2. When Lanik comes to after collapsing in the desert, a young boy is near him. What is the young boy's name?
3. What do the people in Nkumai eat?
4. What is the first town that Lanik comes to?
5. Where does Lanik leave the slave ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique about a radical regenerative?
2. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
3. What does Lanik's body do with all of the energy he is eating?
4. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
5. As Lanik languishes in his cell, he has a visitor. What is Lanik's visitor absolutely sure of?
6. When Lanik stays in an inn, he realizes just how great the poverty is in this land. How does he realize the extent of the poverty?
7. Why does Lanik not sever his thumbs in order to escape the cruel bonds?
8. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
9. Describe Dinte's character.
10. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)