|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the land in which the inhabitants live high in the trees?
(a) Ku Kuei.
2. What is the name of the story's protagonist?
3. When Lanik is captured, he claims to be an ambassador. What land does he claim to be from?
4. As he is making his escape, how does Lanik become wounded?
(a) From a fall.
(b) From a climb.
(c) From a fight.
(d) From an accident.
5. What does Lanik realize as he watches the people who make their home in the desert?
(a) They convert the desert sand into food.
(b) They have secret stores of water.
(c) They hide in their homes from the sun.
(d) They never need to eat or drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon arriving in Nkumai, where does the guide take Lanik?
2. When Lanik comes to after collapsing in the desert, a young boy is near him. What is the young boy's name?
3. What secret does Lanik hold that enables him to make his escape?
4. How do regenerative powers increase in the Family?
5. According to the person taking Lanik to Nkumai, how many ambassadors are in Nkumai?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
2. What makes Nkumai so frightening to Lanik?
3. What does the old soldier hope that Lanik will learn from the books the soldier has?
4. What is unique about a radical regenerative?
5. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
6. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
7. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
8. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
9. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
10. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)