|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is wrong with the bread served to Lanik by the slavers?
(a) The bread is unleavened.
(b) The bread is moldy.
(c) The bread is old.
(d) The bread is stale.
2. Why is the person Lanik meets afraid, at first, to help him?
(a) Lanik looks scruffy and dangerous.
(b) There have been robbers in the area.
(c) There are penalties for aiding and abetting felons.
(d) The person is under surveillance.
3. How do the slavers describe Lanik's appearance after Lanik has been aboard the slave ship for a little while?
4. What does the person helping Lanik give him before he departs?
(a) A map.
(c) A dress.
5. How is Lanik treated by his guards?
(a) Lanik is pitied.
(b) Lanik is revered.
(c) Lanik is tortured.
(d) Lanik is teased.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lanik is in his prison cell in Mueller, who comes to visit him?
2. As the group of four leaves Mueller, what does the old soldier take with him?
3. After receiving a gift from the Earth, what must one do?
4. Why does Lanik ask for this particular thing after being challenged by the young boy?
5. Why is Lanik's appearance so unnerving to the slavers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lanik not sever his thumbs in order to escape the cruel bonds?
2. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
3. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
4. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
5. When Lanik stays in an inn, he realizes just how great the poverty is in this land. How does he realize the extent of the poverty?
6. What is unique about a radical regenerative?
7. What has the old soldier done to disrupt the trade involving the radical regeneratives?
8. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
9. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
10. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)