|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the people who live in the desert?
(a) The Ku Kueians.
(b) The Allisons.
(c) The Nkumaians.
(d) The Schwartzes.
2. When Lanik flings himself into the ocean, what does he hope for?
(a) To be rescued by a nearby boat.
(b) To drown.
(c) To land safely on another shore.
(d) To float away to safety.
3. What does Lanik realize as he watches the people who make their home in the desert?
(a) They convert the desert sand into food.
(b) They never need to eat or drink.
(c) They hide in their homes from the sun.
(d) They have secret stores of water.
4. Why is Lanik's appearance so unnerving to the slavers?
(a) The slavers are afraid of Lanik's strength.
(b) The slavers are awed by Lanik's strength.
(c) The slavers are unfamiliar with regeneration.
(d) The slavers are sticklers for neatness.
5. What do the people in Nkumai eat?
(c) Root vegetables.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the young boy challenges Lanik to manipulate rock, what is the first thing Lanik asks for?
2. While Lanik sleeps in this person's house, who comes looking for Lanik?
3. How do regenerative powers increase in the Family?
4. What is wrong with the meat served to Lanik by the slavers?
5. What happens when the guards inform Lanik that his cover has been blown?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are people in Nkumai known?
2. What does the old soldier hope that Lanik will learn from the books the soldier has?
3. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
4. As Lanik languishes in his cell, he has a visitor. What is Lanik's visitor absolutely sure of?
5. What makes Nkumai so frightening to Lanik?
6. What does Lanik's body do with all of the energy he is eating?
7. Why does Lanik not sever his thumbs in order to escape the cruel bonds?
8. What does the young boy in the desert teach Lanik?
9. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
10. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)