|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the person Lanik meets afraid, at first, to help him?
(a) There have been robbers in the area.
(b) There are penalties for aiding and abetting felons.
(c) The person is under surveillance.
(d) Lanik looks scruffy and dangerous.
2. What does the person helping Lanik give him before he departs?
(a) A dress.
(c) A map.
3. After Lanik slips into the castle in Mueller, what does Lanik cause to happen?
(a) A flood.
(b) An earthquake.
(d) A rebellion.
4. When Lanik is returned to his homeland and charged with a number of crimes, what is Lanik's sentence for committing these crimes?
(c) Life imprisonment.
(d) Community restoration.
5. How is Lanik treated by his guards?
(a) Lanik is pitied.
(b) Lanik is teased.
(c) Lanik is revered.
(d) Lanik is tortured.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Lanik do as a result of receiving his gift from the Earth?
2. Lanik becomes legendary in the land of Sill. What is Lanik known as?
3. When Lanik comes to after collapsing in the desert, a young boy is near him. What is the young boy's name?
4. What secret does Lanik hold that enables him to make his escape?
5. What is unique about the captain of the slave ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Lanik finally comes to after collapsing in the desert, what occurs to help him realize that he may not die?
2. When Lanik comes to after passing out in the desert, what does the group of men surrounding him ask?
3. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
4. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
5. Why do the Nkumai bind their prisoners' hands with cruel bonds?
6. What does Mowa reveal about herself just before Lanik escapes?
7. Describe Mwabao Mawa.
8. As Lanik languishes in his cell, he has a visitor. What is Lanik's visitor absolutely sure of?
9. Why does Lanik not sever his thumbs in order to escape the cruel bonds?
10. There are only a few ambassadors in Nkumai. Why?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)