|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After leaving the castle in Mueller, where does the group of four head to?
(a) Ku Kuei.
2. What are "cruel bonds"?
(a) Ropes covered with sharp glass.
(b) Bamboo laced with glass.
(c) Wire-edged ropes.
3. As the group of four leaves Mueller, what does the old soldier take with him?
(b) The library.
(c) A prisoner.
(d) The castle's blueprints.
4. How does Lanik escape from prison?
(a) Lanik escapes using the parachute.
(b) Lanik escapes using the ladders.
(c) Lanik escapes using the bird nets.
(d) Lanik escapes using the ropes.
5. What does Lanik realize as he watches the people who make their home in the desert?
(a) They convert the desert sand into food.
(b) They have secret stores of water.
(c) They never need to eat or drink.
(d) They hide in their homes from the sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is taking Lanik to Nkumai?
2. After receiving a gift from the Earth, what must one do?
3. Why does Lanik demand to be taken above-board on the slave ship?
4. What is the name of the land in which the inhabitants live high in the trees?
5. What do the people in Nkumai eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lanik flee to Ku Kuei?
2. What does Mowa reveal about herself just before Lanik escapes?
3. Why do the Nkumai bind their prisoners' hands with cruel bonds?
4. Why is Lanik finally accepted into the old lady's house?
5. The group of men in the desert "heals" Lanik. What is the result of the group's healing?
6. Describe Dinte's character.
7. How are people in Nkumai known?
8. Why does Lanik wish he had chosen a particular land when demanding his freedom from the slavers?
9. What does Lanik figure out while he is being held below deck on the slave ship?
10. Describe the process of giving someone "grief."
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)