|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the person helping Lanik finally willing to help him?
(a) The person helping Lanik is a loyal citizen.
(b) The person helping Lanik is a rebel spy.
(c) The person helping Lanik has also been wrongfully accused.
(d) The person helping Lanik has no love for the king.
2. Why do the crew members try to discourage Lanik from demanding to go above-board?
(a) Because those taken above-board walk the plank.
(b) Because those taken above-board are beaten.
(c) Because those taken above-board are ridiculed.
(d) Because those taken above-board are deceived.
3. Who does the main character refuse to take with him as he flees for his life?
4. Upon arriving in Nkumai, where does the guide take Lanik?
(a) To the guide's home.
(b) To the home of the elite guard.
(c) To the customs office.
(d) To the home of the land's highest official.
5. What two words describe the people aboard the slave ship?
(a) Cruel and sentimental.
(b) Cruel and loving.
(c) Sentimental and kind.
(d) Loving and kind.
6. Which wife of Mueller is Lanik's mother?
(a) The seventh.
(b) The fourth.
(c) The second.
(d) The first.
7. Why is the person Lanik meets afraid, at first, to help him?
(a) Lanik looks scruffy and dangerous.
(b) There have been robbers in the area.
(c) There are penalties for aiding and abetting felons.
(d) The person is under surveillance.
8. How do regenerative powers increase in the Family?
(a) Through inbreeding.
(b) Through dietary restrictions.
(c) Through potions.
(d) Through sorcery.
9. How does Lanik escape from prison?
(a) Lanik escapes using the bird nets.
(b) Lanik escapes using the ladders.
(c) Lanik escapes using the ropes.
(d) Lanik escapes using the parachute.
10. Why is Lanik's appearance so unnerving to the slavers?
(a) The slavers are unfamiliar with regeneration.
(b) The slavers are afraid of Lanik's strength.
(c) The slavers are awed by Lanik's strength.
(d) The slavers are sticklers for neatness.
11. What is the currency on the planet?
12. What does the person helping Lanik give him before he departs?
(a) A dress.
(b) A map.
13. According to Lanik's first conversation with the highest official in the land, what do the Nkumai people sell for iron?
(a) Freshly caught rain water.
(b) Rare tree bark.
(c) Vessels carved from wood.
(d) The smells of the swamp.
14. When Lanik comes to after collapsing in the desert, a young boy is near him. What is the young boy's name?
15. How do the slavers describe Lanik's appearance after Lanik has been aboard the slave ship for a little while?
Short Answer Questions
1. After telling Lanik the source of their iron sales, what does the highest official in the land demand from Lanik?
2. What is the name of the story's protagonist?
3. What happens at least twice a day in Nkumai?
4. What are "cruel bonds"?
5. What is the name of the land in which the inhabitants live high in the trees?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)