|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lanik realize as he watches the people who make their home in the desert?
(a) They hide in their homes from the sun.
(b) They have secret stores of water.
(c) They never need to eat or drink.
(d) They convert the desert sand into food.
2. After receiving a gift from the Earth, what must one do?
(a) Thank the Earth.
(b) Worship the Earth.
(c) Test the gift.
(d) Honor the gift.
3. What two words describe the people aboard the slave ship?
(a) Sentimental and kind.
(b) Cruel and loving.
(c) Cruel and sentimental.
(d) Loving and kind.
4. Lanik becomes legendary in the land of Sill. What is Lanik known as?
(a) The Running Man.
(b) The Naked Man.
(c) The Three-Armed Man.
(d) The Earth Mover.
5. What is the name of the land in which the inhabitants live high in the trees?
(b) Ku Kuei.
6. As the main character prepares to leave his homeland, what does he notice being kept in pens?
(a) Untamed lions.
(b) Convicted felons.
(d) Radical regeneratives.
7. What land are the slavers from?
(c) Ku Kuei.
8. What people are on the ship that picks up Lanik?
9. What happens to the person helping Lanik just as Lanik is preparing to leave?
(a) The person is shot with an arrow.
(b) The person is shot with a bullet.
(c) The person is set on fire.
(d) The person is captured.
10. When Lanik flings himself into the ocean, what does he hope for?
(a) To drown.
(b) To land safely on another shore.
(c) To float away to safety.
(d) To be rescued by a nearby boat.
11. Who is the highest official in Nkumai?
12. Who teaches Lanik how to care for his basic needs in the trees?
13. Who is the protagonist's brother?
14. What does Lanik demand from the captain of the slave ship?
(a) To be set ashore on the nearest land.
(b) To be freed unconditionally.
(c) To be thrown overboard.
(d) To be given edible food.
15. What do the people in Nkumai eat?
(c) Root vegetables.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Lanik travels away from the desert people, he requests clothes and is asked his name. What happens when Lanik tells people who he is?
2. Which wife of Mueller is Lanik's mother?
3. Who visits Lanik just before he escapes?
4. Who is taking Lanik to Nkumai?
5. What secret does Lanik hold that enables him to make his escape?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)