|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What best describes the 'Lanik and Lanik" chapter?
(a) An abbreviated history of the planet.
(b) A foreshadowing extravaganza.
(c) An extended political rant.
(d) An extended chase scene.
2. Why does Lanik ask for this particular thing after being challenged by the young boy?
(a) He is thirsty.
(b) He is hot.
(c) It is dramatic.
(d) It would be beautiful.
3. What happens at least twice a day in Nkumai?
(a) The sun burns the leaves.
(b) The people descend to find food.
(c) It rains.
(d) It gets foggy.
4. While in the castle in Mueller, whose throat does Lanik slit?
5. What does Lanik demand from the captain of the slave ship?
(a) To be given edible food.
(b) To be freed unconditionally.
(c) To be thrown overboard.
(d) To be set ashore on the nearest land.
6. What do the people of Nkumai do first thing every morning?
(b) Gather food.
7. What land are the slavers from?
(c) Ku Kuei.
8. According to the person taking Lanik to Nkumai, how many ambassadors are in Nkumai?
9. What is the name of the people who live in the desert?
(a) The Nkumaians.
(b) The Ku Kueians.
(c) The Schwartzes.
(d) The Allisons.
10. After the assassination attempt on the main character, where does the main character flee to?
(a) Ku Kuei.
11. What does Lanik realize as he watches the people who make their home in the desert?
(a) They never need to eat or drink.
(b) They hide in their homes from the sun.
(c) They have secret stores of water.
(d) They convert the desert sand into food.
12. After Lanik slips into the castle in Mueller, what does Lanik cause to happen?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A rebellion.
(c) A flood.
13. According to Lanik's first conversation with the highest official in the land, what do the Nkumai people sell for iron?
(a) The smells of the swamp.
(b) Freshly caught rain water.
(c) Vessels carved from wood.
(d) Rare tree bark.
14. What is the name of the story's protagonist?
15. What do the boat owners decide to do with Lanik?
(a) Trade him for iron.
(b) Sell his regenerating parts.
(c) Sell him as a sideshow freak.
(d) Kill him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people in Nkumai eat?
2. Who is the original settler of Nkumai?
3. Who is taking Lanik to Nkumai?
4. Why does Lanik eventually prepare to leave the desert people?
5. As the group of four leaves Mueller, what does the old soldier take with him?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)