|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Lanik flings himself into the ocean, what does he hope for?
(a) To drown.
(b) To be rescued by a nearby boat.
(c) To float away to safety.
(d) To land safely on another shore.
2. Why do the crew members try to discourage Lanik from demanding to go above-board?
(a) Because those taken above-board are deceived.
(b) Because those taken above-board walk the plank.
(c) Because those taken above-board are beaten.
(d) Because those taken above-board are ridiculed.
3. Who does Lanik meet as he travels to Ku Kuei?
(a) A young boy.
(b) A young woman.
(c) An old lady.
(d) An angry soldier.
4. Why does Lanik demand to be taken above-board on the slave ship?
(a) Because Lanik wants to offer the captain a bribe.
(b) Because Lanik needs to see the sun.
(c) Because the other prisoners get to go above-board.
(d) Because Lanik wants to face his captors.
5. What best describes the 'Lanik and Lanik" chapter?
(a) An abbreviated history of the planet.
(b) An extended chase scene.
(c) An extended political rant.
(d) A foreshadowing extravaganza.
6. According to Lanik's first conversation with the highest official in the land, what do the Nkumai people sell for iron?
(a) Freshly caught rain water.
(b) Rare tree bark.
(c) Vessels carved from wood.
(d) The smells of the swamp.
7. When Lanik is in his prison cell in Mueller, who comes to visit him?
8. According to the person taking Lanik to Nkumai, how many ambassadors are in Nkumai?
9. Where does Lanik leave the slave ship?
(a) Near Mueller.
(b) In the middle of the ocean.
(c) Near the worst desert in the world.
(d) Near the river by Nkumai.
10. What is wrong with the meat served to Lanik by the slavers?
(a) The meat is grisly.
(b) The meat is maggoty.
(c) The meat is undercooked.
(d) The meat is overcooked.
11. What do the people of Nkumai do first thing every morning?
(b) Gather food.
12. What happens when the guards inform Lanik that his cover has been blown?
(a) Lanik kills the guards.
(b) Lanik joins the rebel forces.
(c) Lanik explains the situation.
(d) Lanik begs for mercy.
13. What does Lanik demand from the captain of the slave ship?
(a) To be given edible food.
(b) To be freed unconditionally.
(c) To be thrown overboard.
(d) To be set ashore on the nearest land.
14. In Mueller, Lanik's prison cell visitor takes him to see which person?
15. How does Lanik feel about his mother?
(a) Lanik tolerates her.
(b) Lanik hates her.
(c) Lanik loves her.
(d) Lanik envies her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the bread served to Lanik by the slavers?
2. How is Lanik treated by his guards?
3. When Lanik is captured, he claims to be an ambassador. What land does he claim to be from?
4. What does transsexual growth indicate?
5. As Lanik travels away from the desert people, he requests clothes and is asked his name. What happens when Lanik tells people who he is?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)