|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Helen discover was going out of business?
2. What did Blondie find in Chapter 5, "Snow Scene"?
3. What did Helen create at the beginning of Chapter 8, "A Beginning"?
4. What did the temperature do when the wind changed in Chapter 6 "Time of Thawing"?
5. What animal let itself into the cabin and hissed at Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the old life the Hoovers left behind?
2. What realization did Helen come to after the workshop burned?
3. What happened when Adrian went up to remove snow and ice from the roof?
4. What was Helen alarmed by after the workshop fire was put out?
5. How did Helen find she had oriented herself in time?
6. What did the Hoovers do when they got their mimeograph?
7. What was the benefit of the structure Adrian built?
8. What changes did Helen notice in animal behavior when spring came?
9. Describe the scene Helen and Adrian Hoover witnessed with the ermine and the jays.
10. What animals did the Hoovers see near their cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the government's role in 'A Place in the Woods.' How did the Unites States government figure into Helen and Adrian Hoover's lives while they were in the woods?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting and characterizations of nature. What role does nature play in 'A Place in the Woods'? Does Helen Hoover humanize the animals? What is the range of representations of nature?
Essay Topic 3
How would you characterize the epiphanies in 'A Place in the Woods'? What did Helen and Adrian Hoover draw near to? Nature? Humanity? What led up to their moments of union? Where were they when they returned to themselves?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)