|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weather event became common through the summer?
2. Which is NOT one of the Hoovers' chickens?
3. What did the Hoovers leave out for the animal that scared off the squirrels?
4. How would you describe Helen and Adrian Hoover's state by the time the flames subsided?
5. What did Helen make in an old-fashioned way?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Helen and Adrian Hoover avoid having to sell one of their cabins?
2. What happened when the chicks outgrew their tub?
3. How did Helen find she had oriented herself in time?
4. What was the benefit of the structure Adrian built?
5. What happened to the Hoovers' chickens?
6. How did the Hoovers try to get animals close to the cabin?
7. What realization did Helen come to after the workshop burned?
8. How did Adrian get ice from the lake?
9. What did the Hoovers do when they got their mimeograph?
10. Describe the chimney fire.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think the Hoovers' exercise will play out, based on what Helen Hoover wrote in the book? How long do you think they will last? What evidence does the book give of underlying feelings that would take them back to civilization, or running away from nature?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the main challenges the Hoovers faced and how they overcame them. What did they have to learn in order to overcome obstacles, and what did they have to do or adjust or rethink in order to learn?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting and characterizations of nature. What role does nature play in 'A Place in the Woods'? Does Helen Hoover humanize the animals? What is the range of representations of nature?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)