|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Adrian create at the beginning of Chapter 8, "A Beginning"?
2. What did the temperature do when the wind changed in Chapter 6 "Time of Thawing"?
3. What did Helen want to use what the butcher gave her to do?
4. How did the Hoovers put the fire out?
5. What animal came to the food Helen and Adrian Hoover left out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Hoovers try to get animals close to the cabin?
2. What was the benefit of the structure Adrian built?
3. How did the Hoovers pass the time during the long winter nights?
4. What was the Hoovers' first source of income from the cabin?
5. What realization did Helen come to after the workshop burned?
6. Describe the chimney fire.
7. How did Adrian's notepaper fare at the gift store?
8. What animals did the Hoovers see near their cabin?
9. What changes did Helen notice in animal behavior when spring came?
10. What happened when the chicks outgrew their tub?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a personality sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
What were the political and cultural contexts for the Hoovers' flight to the woods? What was going on when they were taking off? How were other people expressing the desire to live in a different society?
Essay Topic 3
How did living in the woods change how the Hoovers thought about money? Did they find new ways to make it? To live without it? To supplement it?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)