|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Helen and Adrian Hoover consider buying food?
2. When was the last time the Hoovers saw Little Bear?
3. What did Adrian discover after removing snow from the cabin roof?
4. What windfall did Helen and Adrian Hoover get at the beginning of spring?
5. What did the butcher throw in with their order?
Short Essay Questions
1. What animals did the Hoovers see near their cabin?
2. How did the warmer temperatures change Helen and Adrian Hoover's routines?
3. What did Adrian do while Helen was creating a mailing list based on responses to the advertisements?
4. What happened to the Hoovers' chickens?
5. How did Helen and Adrian put out the fire in the workshop?
6. Why did the chickens end up in the cabin with Helen and Adrian?
7. What was the Hoovers' first source of income from the cabin?
8. Describe the chimney fire.
9. How did Adrian get ice from the lake?
10. What realization did Helen come to after the workshop burned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a personality sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 2
How do you think the Hoovers' exercise will play out, based on what Helen Hoover wrote in the book? How long do you think they will last? What evidence does the book give of underlying feelings that would take them back to civilization, or running away from nature?
Essay Topic 3
Define the government's role in 'A Place in the Woods.' How did the Unites States government figure into Helen and Adrian Hoover's lives while they were in the woods?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)