|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the guest cabin Helen and Adrian Hoover stayed at?
2. How long was Helen's initial leave for?
3. What was the driver of the other car afraid of?
4. What did Helen watch after the wood loading was finished?
5. What was the weather on Thanksgiving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the damage to the Hoovers' car?
2. What did the psychiatrist tell Helen?
3. What surprised Helen when she and Adrian went to town?
4. How did the Hoovers practically asphyxiate themselves?
5. What animal visitor did Helen and Adrian Hoover have in the basement?
6. What was Adrian's plan for making money, and what happened to his plan?
7. What happened to give the Hoovers an excuse to spend a long time in the cabin?
8. What modification did Adrian make to the log roller?
9. What had John Anderson done while the Hoovers were in Chicago?
10. What was Helen's experience with the squirrels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the extent to which the Hoovers are American in their project. In what ways are they fulfilling an American promise? In what way might they be running from American promises?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
Assess the statement that the Hoovers' experience is the blueprint for a new society. Were the Hoovers doing something other people could follow? Or, were they just doing what they themselves thought was the right thing?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)