|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who expressed skepticism that Helen's plan would benefit Adrian?
2. What was the driver of the other car afraid of?
3. What did Jacques Plessis give the Hoovers?
4. What had Jacques Plessis not been able to find?
5. What was Helen afraid of when she heard that George Wilson was suing her and Adrian?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Helen in the car accident?
2. What events surrounded the Hoovers' decision to stay in the cabin?
3. Describe the first cabin the Hoovers bought.
4. How did the Hoovers practically asphyxiate themselves?
5. What did the sheriff decide about the car accident?
6. What surprised Helen when she and Adrian went to town?
7. Describe how Helen and Adrian Hoover got the oil drum to the house.
8. What did Hilda and Sven say when they left for the season?
9. What was Helen's experience with the squirrels?
10. What stress did the moving truck present Helen and Adrian Hoover with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the value of the statement that Helen and Adrian Hoover were running away from civilization, not running toward nature. What parts of civilization were they trying to get away from? What parts of nature drew them positively?
Essay Topic 2
How would you evaluate the Hoovers' experiment in country living? Was it a success? According to what criteria? Was it a failure? Define your terms and use passages from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the main challenges the Hoovers faced and how they overcame them. What did they have to learn in order to overcome obstacles, and what did they have to do or adjust or rethink in order to learn?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)