|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Adrian's diagnosis?
2. What did Helen feel about living in the cabin when Adrian went to get the mail at the end of Section 4 "...And its aftermath"?
3. How did Helen and Adrian Hoover feel after trying to work in the same space?
4. What did Jacques Plessis offer the Hoovers?
5. How long was Helen's initial leave for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the airtight stove?
2. What happened to the cabin during the rainstorm?
3. What mishaps did Helen and Adrian Hoover have on moving into the cabin?
4. What opportunity did the Hoovers see in the basement?
5. What modification did Adrian make to the log roller?
6. How did the Hoovers practically asphyxiate themselves?
7. What was Helen's experience when Adrian was getting mail?
8. What was the damage to the Hoovers' car?
9. Who was Jacques Plessis, and what did the Hoovers do for him?
10. How did the Hoovers stay warm through the winter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the extent to which the Hoovers are American in their project. In what ways are they fulfilling an American promise? In what way might they be running from American promises?
Essay Topic 2
How would you characterize the epiphanies in 'A Place in the Woods'? What did Helen and Adrian Hoover draw near to? Nature? Humanity? What led up to their moments of union? Where were they when they returned to themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Assess the value of the statement that Helen and Adrian Hoover were running away from civilization, not running toward nature. What parts of civilization were they trying to get away from? What parts of nature drew them positively?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)