|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What motivated Helen to suggest her plan?
2. During what season does the book open?
3. What did Jacques Plessis offer the Hoovers?
4. What animal did Helen have to drive out of the basement in Adrian's absence?
5. What did George Wilson tell Helen and Adrian Hoover about the lawsuit he filed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hilda and Sven say when they left for the season?
2. What stress did the moving truck present Helen and Adrian Hoover with?
3. What was Helen's experience with the squirrels?
4. What happened to the airtight stove?
5. What was the damage to the Hoovers' car?
6. What happened to Adrian in the accident?
7. What animal visitor did Helen and Adrian Hoover have in the basement?
8. What surprised Helen when she and Adrian went to town?
9. What was Helen's experience when Adrian was getting mail?
10. Who was Jacques Plessis, and what did the Hoovers do for him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the relationship between civilization and nature in Helen and Adrian Hoovers' eyes. Is it an either-or relationship? Is it a series of shifting contradictions? Is it a battle? A progression from nature to civilization?
Essay Topic 2
Write a personality sketch of the author based on her style and content. What values does she hold dear? What are her hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think she is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting and characterizations of nature. What role does nature play in 'A Place in the Woods'? Does Helen Hoover humanize the animals? What is the range of representations of nature?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)