|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did George Wilson ultimately want from the Hoovers?
2. What was Adrian's plan for making money?
3. What did Hilda bring to Helen and Adrian Hoover when they moved?
4. Where did the Hoovers spend the night after the accident?
5. Who was Jacques Plessis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprised Helen when she and Adrian went to town?
2. What mishaps did Helen and Adrian Hoover have on moving into the cabin?
3. Who was Jacques Plessis, and what did the Hoovers do for him?
4. Describe the first cabin the Hoovers bought.
5. What was Adrian's plan for making money, and what happened to his plan?
6. What opportunity did the Hoovers see in the basement?
7. What modification did Adrian make to the log roller?
8. What happened to the airtight stove?
9. What was Helen's experience when Adrian was getting mail?
10. What events surrounded the Hoovers' decision to stay in the cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the relationship between civilization and nature in Helen and Adrian Hoovers' eyes. Is it an either-or relationship? Is it a series of shifting contradictions? Is it a battle? A progression from nature to civilization?
Essay Topic 2
To what degree is this book internally consistent? How much does it follow the rules it lays out? Where does it break from its own logic or skip over things that you would think should be covered?
Essay Topic 3
Define the importance of writing to the Hoovers. Was Helen a writer when she went into the woods? Did being in the woods make her a writer? Did she go to the woods to become a writer, or was she finally able to write out the things that had always been inside her?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)