|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accident did Helen and Adrian Hoover almost have on the way to get wood?
2. What physical state was Jacques Plessis in when he found the Hoovers' cabin?
3. How did Helen and Adrian Hoover describe the foreman who brought their meat?
4. What had John Anderson done to the basement when Helen and Adrian Hoover were gone?
5. What trait of Jacques Plessis inspired Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events surrounded the Hoovers' decision to stay in the cabin?
2. What was Adrian's plan for making money, and what happened to his plan?
3. What was the damage to the Hoovers' car?
4. What surprised Helen when she and Adrian went to town?
5. What animal visitor did Helen and Adrian Hoover have in the basement?
6. What stress did the moving truck present Helen and Adrian Hoover with?
7. What mishaps did Helen and Adrian Hoover have on moving into the cabin?
8. How did the Hoovers practically asphyxiate themselves?
9. Who was Jacques Plessis, and what did the Hoovers do for him?
10. What was Helen's experience with the squirrels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Assess the value of the statement that Helen and Adrian Hoover were running away from civilization, not running toward nature. What parts of civilization were they trying to get away from? What parts of nature drew them positively?
Essay Topic 2
How would you characterize the epiphanies in 'A Place in the Woods'? What did Helen and Adrian Hoover draw near to? Nature? Humanity? What led up to their moments of union? Where were they when they returned to themselves?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think the Hoovers' exercise will play out, based on what Helen Hoover wrote in the book? How long do you think they will last? What evidence does the book give of underlying feelings that would take them back to civilization, or running away from nature?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)