|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Helen and Adrian Hoover work together to fight the fire?
(a) Helen directed while Adrian sprayed with the hose.
(b) Adrian sprayed with the extinguisher while Helen got the spare extinguisher from the other cabin.
(c) Helen filled the buckets while Adrian threw them on the fire.
(d) Adrian pumped water from the lake while Helen sprayed the hose.
2. What collapsed under the snow in Chapter 5, "Snow Scene"?
(a) A neighbor's roof.
(b) The icehouse roof.
(c) The larger cabin roof.
(d) A cedar.
3. What windfall did Helen and Adrian Hoover get at the beginning of spring?
(a) A bank error in their favor.
(b) Checks from relatives.
(c) A refund on their taxes.
(d) A refund from the oil company.
4. What did the hunter animal eat when the Hoovers ran out of food for the animals?
(a) The domesticated animal's caches.
(b) The domesticated animal.
(c) It tried to attack the Hoovers.
(d) The Hoovers' food supply.
5. What wildlife did the Hoovers NOT see outside their cabin?
(b) Red Squirrels.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Hoovers supplemented their food supply with ______________.
2. What were the Hoovers doing when they discovered a fire in Chapter 8, "A Beginning"?
3. What does Helen say ended with this realization?
4. What weather event became common through the summer?
5. What animal let itself into the cabin and hissed at Helen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the benefit of the structure Adrian built?
2. What animals did the Hoovers see near their cabin?
3. What changes did Helen notice in animal behavior when spring came?
4. What was the Hoovers' first source of income from the cabin?
5. What was Helen's relationship with the locals like?
6. Why did the chickens end up in the cabin with Helen and Adrian?
7. What realization did Helen come to after the workshop burned?
8. How did Helen and Adrian put out the fire in the workshop?
9. What was the old life the Hoovers left behind?
10. What happened when the chicks outgrew their tub?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)