|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Hoovers' visitor complain about?
(b) The black flies.
(d) Having a hectic day.
2. What did Helen begin to plan in Chapter 6 "Time of Thawing"?
(a) Renovations on the larger cabin.
(b) A trip to her family.
(c) A garden.
(d) A trip to the city.
3. What does Helen say began with this realization?
(a) A new life.
(b) A return to civilization.
(c) A return to sobriety.
(d) A partnership with nature.
4. What tried to scare off the animal that scared off the squirrels?
5. How did Helen's attempts to socialize with the locals tend to go?
(a) She slowly gained their confidence and sympathy.
(b) She always said the wrong thing.
(c) She made several good friends.
(d) She repeatedly had confrontations.
6. What did Blondie find in Chapter 5, "Snow Scene"?
(a) A buck.
(b) A way to get into the Hoovers' cabin.
(c) A home beneath a cedar near the cabin.
(d) A cache of food.
7. How did Helen and Adrian Hoover work together to fight the fire?
(a) Adrian sprayed with the extinguisher while Helen got the spare extinguisher from the other cabin.
(b) Helen directed while Adrian sprayed with the hose.
(c) Helen filled the buckets while Adrian threw them on the fire.
(d) Adrian pumped water from the lake while Helen sprayed the hose.
8. How would you describe the quantity of Christmas cards the Hoovers received?
(d) A reasonable number.
9. What did Helen make in an old-fashioned way?
10. Where did Helen and Adrian Hoover consider buying food?
(a) Across the lake.
(c) John Anderson's.
(d) Sven and Hilda's.
11. What does Helen say ended with this realization?
(a) Their old life.
(b) Their faith in nature.
(c) Their commitment to a new world.
(d) Their hope of living in the woods.
12. What surprise did Helen get when she looked at her finances?
(a) There was a lot less than she expected.
(b) Their expenses through the winter had used all their savings.
(c) They had more left over than she expected.
(d) They were deep in debt.
13. Adrian converted the ice house to ______________.
(a) A chicken coop for winter.
(b) A store house.
(c) A refrigerator.
(d) A root cellar.
14. What did the visitor want?
(b) To install a weather monitor.
(d) Information about Helen's colleagues.
15. What caused the fire?
(a) An oil lamp.
(b) A candle.
(c) Grease on the stove.
(d) Creosote buildup.
Short Answer Questions
1. What craft did Helen work on in the evenings?
2. What did Adrian create at the beginning of Chapter 8, "A Beginning"?
3. What windfall did Helen and Adrian Hoover get at the beginning of spring?
4. What did Adrian do to accommodate the change in temperature?
5. What did Helen do in spite of being alarmed?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)