|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the temperature do when the wind changed in Chapter 6 "Time of Thawing"?
(a) Rose to 45º.
(b) Rose to zero.
(c) Fell to -30º.
(d) Fell to -45º.
2. What does Helen say began with this realization?
(a) A partnership with nature.
(b) A return to civilization.
(c) A return to sobriety.
(d) A new life.
3. In the winter, what did Adrian make some money doing?
(b) Repairing cars.
(c) Delivering mail.
(d) Writing advertisements.
4. Helen was alarmed by _____________.
(a) Adrian's giddiness.
(b) Adrian's despair.
(c) Adrian's bumps and bruises.
(d) Adrian's cuts and burns.
5. What did Helen say would let a poor family eat cheaply?
6. What did the animal that scared off the squirrels ultimately leave with?
(a) A baby chickadee.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A mouse.
7. What did Adrian do to accommodate the change in temperature?
(a) Cut more wood.
(b) Added extra blankets to the bed at night.
(c) Moved the meat next door.
(d) Started gathering bulbs and roots for cooking.
8. How did Helen's attempts to socialize with the locals tend to go?
(a) She slowly gained their confidence and sympathy.
(b) She always said the wrong thing.
(c) She repeatedly had confrontations.
(d) She made several good friends.
9. Who was Blondie?
(a) A bird.
(b) A cat.
(c) A doe.
(d) A weasel.
10. What did the Hoovers leave out for the animal that scared off the squirrels?
(a) Dead mice.
(b) A bacon rind.
(c) Honey water.
11. What did Adrian unleash when he was working on the roof?
(a) A flood of profanities.
(b) An avalanche of snow.
(c) A flock of birds.
(d) A flood of dammed water into the basement.
12. Who returned to the area as the weather warmed?
(a) Summer home people.
13. What arrived with Helen's pension check?
(a) Legal papers from George Wilson.
(b) A backlog of newspapers and magazines.
(c) A letter from their son.
(d) The grocery bill.
14. What scattered the squirrels Helen was watching?
(a) An elk.
(b) An ermine.
(c) A fisher cat.
(d) A bear.
15. What did the visitor want?
(a) To install a weather monitor.
(c) Information about Helen's colleagues.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the photographer show up at the cabin?
2. What did the hunter animal eat when the Hoovers ran out of food for the animals?
3. What weather event became common through the summer?
4. What project did Helen say she would like to take on?
5. What spot did Little Bear occupy?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)