|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the change in temperature change Helen and Adrian Hoover's routine?
(a) They could not keep their meat outside any more.
(b) They could stop chopping wood.
(c) They could get to town more often.
(d) They had to stop using the toboggan.
2. What did Blondie find in Chapter 5, "Snow Scene"?
(a) A way to get into the Hoovers' cabin.
(b) A home beneath a cedar near the cabin.
(c) A buck.
(d) A cache of food.
3. What did Adrian run for a short trial?
(a) A warmer for the chickens.
(b) The engine for the boat.
(c) A refrigerator.
(d) His power plant.
4. What windfall did Helen and Adrian Hoover get at the beginning of spring?
(a) A bank error in their favor.
(b) A refund on their taxes.
(c) A refund from the oil company.
(d) Checks from relatives.
5. How did the Hoovers put the fire out?
(a) With water.
(b) With a fire extinguisher.
(c) With snow.
(d) By choking the stove.
6. How would you describe Helen and Adrian Hoover's state by the time the flames subsided?
(a) Chilled and wet.
(b) Invigorated and triumphant.
7. What did Adrian create at the beginning of Chapter 8, "A Beginning"?
(a) A new notepaper design.
(b) A still.
(c) A chicken coop.
(d) A new icehouse.
8. What did Adrian say was the likely cause of the fire?
(a) A lightning strike.
(b) Buildup of fumes from the varnish.
(c) A spark from the generator.
(d) Bad wiring from the electrical wires.
9. What was Adrian concerned about as the temperature began to fluctuate?
(a) The toboggan wouldn't float on the snow any more.
(b) They wouldn't be able to attract animals any more.
(c) Heavier snow would cave in the roof.
(d) The bears would wake from hibernation and threaten their food supply.
10. What did Adrian unleash when he was working on the roof?
(a) An avalanche of snow.
(b) A flood of dammed water into the basement.
(c) A flock of birds.
(d) A flood of profanities.
11. Where did the domesticated animal sleep when it came indoors?
(a) Beneath the bed.
(b) In the begonia pot.
(c) Under the sink.
(d) In bed.
12. What did Hilda offer to Hoover in Chapter 5, "Snow Scene"?
(c) Chicks to raise.
13. What animal came to the food Helen and Adrian Hoover left out?
(a) A weasel.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) An ermine.
(d) A mink.
14. Whom did Helen discover was going out of business?
(a) The oil company.
(b) The supermarket.
(c) The magazine.
(d) The deliveryman.
15. In what mode is this book written?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Adrian looking for his razor?
2. What scattered the squirrels Helen was watching?
3. What were the Hoovers doing when they discovered a fire in Chapter 8, "A Beginning"?
4. What secondary benefit did Adrian's building project have?
5. What did the butcher throw in with their order?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)