|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Adrian suggest they do until they could get an oil stove?
(a) Exercise to keep warm.
(b) Use wood.
(c) Bundle up.
(d) Move back to Chicago.
2. Who were Sven and Hilda Peterson?
(a) Proprietors of a lodge.
(b) Adrian's bosses.
(c) Helen's cousins.
(d) Owners of the land Helen and Adrian Hoover wanted to buy.
3. What state was the other driver in after the accident?
(a) Calm composure.
(c) Near panic.
4. What was Helen's plan for making money?
(a) Selling her books.
(b) Selling their furniture.
(c) Cutting back all their expenses.
(d) Using windblown branches for heat.
5. How did the Hoovers feel when the delivery truck arrived?
(a) Short on space.
(b) Disoriented seeing their things in the cabin.
(c) Kingly and expansive with so much space.
6. How did Helen and Adrian Hoover feel after trying to work in the same space?
7. What will the Hoovers be giving up when they move to the cabin?
(a) Their income.
(b) Their families.
(c) Their savings.
(d) Their contact with the world.
8. Who was with the driver of the other car?
(a) The man's spouse.
(b) The man's dog.
(c) The man's mother.
(d) The man's daughter.
9. What did Jacques Plessis offer the Hoovers?
(a) Money for their help.
(b) Help if his tip does not pan out.
(c) Free firewood for their help.
(d) Assistance if he can ever offer it.
10. Where did Helen and Adrian Hoover plan to get water when they could?
(a) From the spring in their basement.
(b) From the nearby brook.
(c) From rainfall off the roof.
(d) From the lake.
11. What created the jarring sensation Helen felt during the rainstorm?
(a) The wind moving the cabin.
(b) The roof sagging.
(c) The floor rotting out.
(d) A basement wall giving way.
12. What did Jacques Plessis want from the Hoovers?
(a) Help making a phone call.
(d) Help getting his car out of a ditch.
13. What had John Anderson done to the basement when Helen and Adrian Hoover were gone?
(a) Filled it in with dirt.
(b) Poured concrete on the floor.
(c) Reinforced the walls.
(d) Installed a drainage system.
14. What did Helen nearly upset in the basement?
(a) A tin of matches.
(b) Jars of sulfuric acid.
(c) A mouse's nest.
(d) A prop for the floor above.
15. How did Helen and Adrian Hoover nearly asphyxiate themselves in the cabin?
(a) The mildew in the cabin was so bad they could hardly breathe.
(b) The barrel-furnace burned out and spewed fumes.
(c) The pilot light on the stove went out and the cabin filled with propane.
(d) The chimney clogs and the cabin filled with smoke.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Helen find when she woke from her nap after the accident?
2. What trait of Jacques Plessis inspired Helen?
3. Who was Jacques Plessis?
4. Helen's boss send her to speak to ______________.
5. What did the Hoovers plan to do during their vacation?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)