|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the Hoovers spend the night after the accident?
(a) With the Andersons.
(b) At home.
(c) With the Petersons.
(d) With the Larimers.
2. What was Helen's plan for making money?
(a) Cutting back all their expenses.
(b) Selling her books.
(c) Using windblown branches for heat.
(d) Selling their furniture.
3. How did Adrian expect to load the wood?
(a) With Helen's help.
(b) By himself.
(c) With Sven's help.
(d) With John Anderson's help.
4. Where was the guest cabin Helen and Adrian Hoover stayed at?
(a) Lake Winnipesauke.
(b) Lake Michigan.
(c) Lake of the Woods.
(d) Lake Superior.
5. What did Adrian suggest they do until they could get an oil stove?
(a) Use wood.
(b) Bundle up.
(c) Move back to Chicago.
(d) Exercise to keep warm.
6. What created the jarring sensation Helen felt during the rainstorm?
(a) The wind moving the cabin.
(b) A basement wall giving way.
(c) The floor rotting out.
(d) The roof sagging.
7. What did Adrian tell Helen about the large cabin when they were trying to conserve wood?
(a) It isn't insulated.
(b) It was infested with mice.
(c) One room was insulated.
(d) The stove there doesn't work.
8. What did the Hoovers ask the Larimers?
(a) To rent their cabin.
(b) To celebrate their housewarming.
(c) To do some work on their cabin.
(d) To help them with their housework.
9. What position was Helen in after the accident?
(a) In a ditch.
(b) Pinned to the dashboard.
(c) Curled up in the foot well.
(d) Pressed against the windshield.
10. What were conditions like when Helen and Adrian Hoover returned to the cabin after the storm?
11. What will the Hoovers be giving up when they move to the cabin?
(a) Their families.
(b) Their income.
(c) Their contact with the world.
(d) Their savings.
12. Who were Sven and Hilda Peterson?
(a) Helen's cousins.
(b) Owners of the land Helen and Adrian Hoover wanted to buy.
(c) Proprietors of a lodge.
(d) Adrian's bosses.
13. Who gave the Hoovers the lead they followed?
(a) A relative.
(b) A colleague of Adrian's.
(c) The U.S. Forest Service.
(d) A friend.
14. Helen said that she wanted to deal humanely with ______________.
(a) The neighbors.
(b) Her writing.
(c) The mouse infestation.
(d) The bedbugs.
15. How did Helen and Adrian Hoover describe the foreman who brought their meat?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was with the driver of the other car?
2. What was Adrian's diagnosis?
3. What month was it when Helen and Adrian Hoover discovered this news about the retirement check?
4. What animal did Helen have to drive out of the basement in Adrian's absence?
5. What was Helen and Adrian Hoover's response to George Wilson's suit?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)