|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Helen and Adrian Hoover nearly asphyxiate themselves in the cabin?
(a) The barrel-furnace burned out and spewed fumes.
(b) The chimney clogs and the cabin filled with smoke.
(c) The mildew in the cabin was so bad they could hardly breathe.
(d) The pilot light on the stove went out and the cabin filled with propane.
2. What animal did Helen have to drive out of the basement in Adrian's absence?
(a) A bear.
(b) A rat.
(c) A raccoon.
(d) A possum.
3. What did the psychiatrist say isolation would do for Adrian?
(a) Let him sleep.
(b) Free him from pathogens.
(c) Give him courage to return to his work.
(d) Let him relax outside the city.
4. Where was the guest cabin Helen and Adrian Hoover stayed at?
(a) Lake Winnipesauke.
(b) Lake Superior.
(c) Lake Michigan.
(d) Lake of the Woods.
5. How long did Helen and Adrian Hoover take to decide to buy the cabin?
(a) Three days.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) An hour.
(d) A day.
6. What did Hilda bring to Helen and Adrian Hoover when they moved?
(a) A wood stove.
(b) A begonia.
(c) A stew.
(d) Their mail.
7. What did Helen watch after the wood loading was finished?
(b) A bear.
8. How long was Helen's initial leave for?
(a) A year.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two months.
(d) Six months.
9. What accident did Helen and Adrian Hoover almost have on the way to get wood?
(a) They nearly lost the trailer.
(b) They nearly drove off the road.
(c) They nearly collided with a construction vehicle.
(d) They nearly hit a deer.
10. How much money did the Hoovers have, total, after the accident?
11. What state was the other driver in after the accident?
(a) Near panic.
(b) Calm composure.
12. What are Helen and Adrian Hoover surprised by when the moving truck arrives?
(a) The cost.
(b) The amount of furniture they have.
(c) How quickly everything was put away.
(d) How unnecessary their things are here.
13. What was Adrian's plan for making money?
(a) Working on the road building crew.
(b) Working in advertising.
(c) Selling his investments.
(d) Selling the larger cabin.
14. What did Adrian make for hauling meat?
(a) A sledge.
(b) A sled.
(c) A toboggan.
(d) A trailer.
15. Helen's boss send her to speak to ______________.
(a) A friend of his.
(b) A real estate broker.
(c) A home health aide company.
(d) A psychiatrist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Helen and Adrian Hoover plan to get water when they could?
2. What had Jacques Plessis not been able to find?
3. What were conditions like when Helen and Adrian Hoover returned to the cabin after the storm?
4. What was the liquid which Adrian thought was oil?
5. What was it about Helen's retirement check that had Helen and Adrian Hoover nervous?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)