|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Hoovers plan to do during their vacation?
(a) Rest and relax.
(b) Look for property.
(c) Volunteer their time.
(d) Write memoirs.
2. How did Helen and Adrian Hoover describe the foreman who brought their meat?
3. What was Helen's plan for making money?
(a) Selling her books.
(b) Cutting back all their expenses.
(c) Selling their furniture.
(d) Using windblown branches for heat.
4. What did Helen and Adrian Hoover use to cool down their stove when it was overheating?
(b) A fire extinguisher.
5. What position were the Hoovers in with regard to insurance after the accident?
(a) The other driver's insurance will cover repairs.
(b) They are covered after paying a $500 deductible.
(c) They have to pay for repairs.
(d) They are covered.
6. When did Helen have to return to work?
(a) Before winter.
(b) Whenever she feels like returning.
(c) Next summer.
(d) Next spring.
7. Who were Sven and Hilda Peterson?
(a) Owners of the land Helen and Adrian Hoover wanted to buy.
(b) Proprietors of a lodge.
(c) Helen's cousins.
(d) Adrian's bosses.
8. What did the psychiatrist say isolation would do for Adrian?
(a) Let him relax outside the city.
(b) Free him from pathogens.
(c) Give him courage to return to his work.
(d) Let him sleep.
9. What did Adrian say he would use as a freezer?
(a) The attic.
(b) The larger cabin.
(c) The cellar.
(d) The barrel stove.
10. What physical state was Jacques Plessis in when he found the Hoovers' cabin?
11. What had John Anderson done to the basement when Helen and Adrian Hoover were gone?
(a) Filled it in with dirt.
(b) Poured concrete on the floor.
(c) Reinforced the walls.
(d) Installed a drainage system.
12. What month was it when Helen and Adrian Hoover discovered this news about the retirement check?
13. Helen's boss send her to speak to ______________.
(a) A friend of his.
(b) A real estate broker.
(c) A home health aide company.
(d) A psychiatrist.
14. What did the Hoovers ask the Larimers?
(a) To do some work on their cabin.
(b) To celebrate their housewarming.
(c) To rent their cabin.
(d) To help them with their housework.
15. What was Adrian Hoover's job?
(b) Publicity agent.
(d) Art director.
Short Answer Questions
1. What accident did Helen and Adrian Hoover almost have on the way to get wood?
2. What was the extent of the damage to the Hoovers' car?
3. Whom did the Hoovers get a nasty letter from at the end of Section 2 of Chapter 4 "...And its aftermath"?
4. Where did the Hoovers dine after returning to the cabin?
5. Who expressed skepticism that Helen's plan would benefit Adrian?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)