|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the Hoovers try to conserve wood?
(a) By huddling near one heat source.
(b) By spending time outside the cabin.
(c) By staying in bed as much as possible.
(d) By wearing all the clothes they have.
2. Helen asked her boss for _____________after Adrian's operation.
(a) A promotion.
(b) A raise.
(c) A home health aide.
(d) A year off.
3. What did the Hoovers do when the Larimers refused their request?
(b) Built another cabin.
(c) Did the work themselves.
(d) Bought their property.
4. What was Helen and Adrian Hoover's response to George Wilson's suit?
(a) They settled.
(b) They filed a countersuit.
(c) They ignored his suit.
(d) They threatened George Wilson with a countersuit.
5. Who was with the driver of the other car?
(a) The man's mother.
(b) The man's daughter.
(c) The man's dog.
(d) The man's spouse.
6. What did John Anderson assure Helen and Adrian Hoover he would do?
(a) Purify their water supply.
(b) Put in a well.
(c) Divert the rainwater away from the house.
(d) Repair the cabin.
7. How did Adrian expect to load the wood?
(a) By himself.
(b) With Helen's help.
(c) With John Anderson's help.
(d) With Sven's help.
8. What trait of Jacques Plessis inspired Helen?
(a) His tenacity.
(b) His honesty.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His tenderness.
9. What was the extent of the damage to the Hoovers' car?
(a) The damage was merely cosmetic.
(b) The car was not driveable.
(c) Repairs would cost more than the car was worth.
(d) There was no damage to the car.
10. What animal did Helen have to drive out of the basement in Adrian's absence?
(a) A rat.
(b) A raccoon.
(c) A possum.
(d) A bear.
11. Where did Helen and Adrian Hoover plan to get water when they could?
(a) From the lake.
(b) From the spring in their basement.
(c) From the nearby brook.
(d) From rainfall off the roof.
12. What state was the other driver in after the accident?
(a) Near panic.
(d) Calm composure.
13. Helen said that she wanted to deal humanely with ______________.
(a) The mouse infestation.
(b) The neighbors.
(c) Her writing.
(d) The bedbugs.
14. What was the liquid which Adrian thought was oil?
15. What were conditions like when Helen and Adrian Hoover returned to the cabin after the storm?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Helen find when she woke from her nap after the accident?
2. What did Helen feel about living in the cabin when Adrian went to get the mail at the end of Section 4 "...And its aftermath"?
3. What was Adrian's plan for making money?
4. How much money did the Hoovers have, total, after the accident?
5. What did the psychiatrist say isolation would do for Adrian?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)