|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV, Sections I - VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Burke assert about beauty?
(a) That it combines with proportion to create the sublime.
(b) That proportion is critical to it.
(c) That beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
(d) That it has nothing to do with proportion.
2. How does Burke define "proportion?"
(a) It illustrates the properties of geometries.
(b) It is the measure of relative quantity.
(c) It is an average of height, breadth, and width.
(d) It refers to the amount of food a healthy person eats.
3. What size of objects does Burke consider "beautiful?"
(a) Large and imposing.
(b) Small or diminutive.
(c) Proportionate to the accepted standard.
(d) Moderate and common.
4. Where, besides in humans, has Burke observed the effects of the passions mentioned in question 133?
(a) In cats.
(b) In dogs.
(c) In birds.
(d) In horses.
5. What two main passions connect with this creative power of the mind?
(a) Love and hate.
(b) Pain and pleasure.
(c) Curiosity and understanding.
(d) Lust and desire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Burke, must be utilized regularly lest it/they fall into disrepair?
2. According to Burke, why is procreation pleasurable?
3. How, according to Burke, can light and dark be equal?
4. According to Burke, what parts of the mind do beautiful things engage, and how?
5. What is Burke's general plan of action for this book?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)