|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV, Sections I - VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burke want "A Philosophical Enquiry Into the Origin of Our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful" to accomplish?
(a) The Enquiry will teach people about nature.
(b) The Enquiry will be useful in schools.
(c) The Enquiry will disprove older theories.
(d) The Enquiry will open minds.
2. What statement summarizes the real effects of fitness, as described by Burke?
(a) Fitness is designed to incite introspection and excite people into socially-important action.
(b) God gave each thing a particular fitness to make us fully understand and marvel at the mysteries of the world.
(c) There can be nothing sublime without being fit or beautiful.
(d) The purpose of fitness is to describe the differences between the species of animals and plants.
3. What does Burke envision would be the result of fitness trumping beauty in the human species?
(a) Individuals would find it difficult to get married and begin families.
(b) All people would be healthy, regardless of their looks.
(c) Men would be considered more beautiful than women.
(d) The general intelligence quotient would rise dramatically.
4. How, according to Burke, can light and dark be equal?
(a) If one experiences light and dark for equal periods of time.
(b) When the overpowering nature of one creates the effect of the other.
(c) Only when quantities balance each other.
(d) Because according to science, there is no difference between light and dark.
5. How do sublime buildings look, according to Burke?
(a) Heavily built.
(b) Architecturally balanced.
(c) Dark and gloomy.
(d) Light and airy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Burke define "magnificence?"
2. To which human faculty does Burke opine proportion belongs?
3. Why is suddenness sublime, according to Burke?
4. To which other passions is the idea of power closely related, according to Burke?
5. Which of the following does Burke assert about beauty?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)