|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV, Sections I - VII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which example does Burke use in his discussion in Section VIII about infinity?
(c) The ocean.
(d) The military.
2. What are the first examples Burke cites to demonstrate his argument about beauty and proportion?
(a) Several kinds of animals.
(b) Various types of flowers.
(c) People he knows.
(d) Certain literary texts.
3. What is the effect of opiates or liquors, according to Burke?
(a) They force the body to yield to the superior power of the mind.
(b) They strengthen the connection and clarity between mind and body.
(c) They suspend the passions by inciting a different reaction in the body.
(d) They harm both the mind and the body to a tragic degree.
4. According to Burke, who is most capable of beauty?
(a) The female sex.
(b) Elegant aristocrats.
(c) Rustic peasants.
(d) The male sex.
5. Which does Burke's definition of "grace" include?
(a) Posture and motion.
(b) Painting and drawing.
(c) Speaking foreign languages.
(d) Conversation and debate.
Short Answer Questions
1. To which human faculty does "taste" belong?
2. What, according to Burke, affects the passions and most incites admiration?
3. To what does Burke oppose delicacy and fragility?
4. Burke contrasts smoothness to __________ in his discussion of beauty.
5. How do use and habit affect pleasure?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)