|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Sections IX - XXVII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Burke personally observed about human beauty?
(a) That proportionality does indeed coincide with beauty.
(b) That beauty is only skin-deep.
(c) That both beautiful and ugly people might be considered proportionate.
(d) That only a minority of people are not beautiful.
2. What, according to Burke, is the first and most simple emotion of the human mind?
(a) Indifference, or lassitude.
(b) Fear, or terror.
(c) Curiosity, or novelty.
(d) Hunger, or longing.
3. What examples does Burke use to prove that people agree upon sensory observations?
(a) The pleasantness or unpleasantness of certain thoughts.
(b) Sudden, loud sounds as opposed to quiet, soft sounds.
(c) The tastes of sweet, bitter, and sour.
(d) Feelings of sharp or soft.
4. Which example does Burke use in his discussion in Section VIII about infinity?
(c) The military.
(d) The ocean.
5. Burke believes that "taste" arises from:
Short Answer Questions
1. What examples does Burke use to argue that some sights are pleasurable to all people?
2. How does Burke define sympathy?
3. What does Burke criticize about the patrons of proportion?
4. What does Burke assert about sensory observation?
5. What, according to Burke, is most striking to this creative power of mind?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)