|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, Sections X - XXII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the state between pleasure and pain, according to Burke?
2. Which passion belongs under the heading of "self-preservation?"
3. Which idea is more effective over the other in affecting the imagination, according to Burke?
(a) Originality, rather than imitation.
(b) Refinement, rather than coarseness.
(c) Obscurity, rather than clarity.
(d) Shock value, rather than predictability.
4. What two main passions connect with this creative power of the mind?
(a) Curiosity and understanding.
(b) Lust and desire.
(c) Love and hate.
(d) Pain and pleasure.
5. Burke's general definition for "obscurity" is:
(a) That which we cannot fully know.
(b) That which is most humble.
(c) That which is hidden from view.
(d) That which is not famous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burke assert is present in every religion, to some degree?
2. What large part of text has Burke added between the First and Second editions?
3. What examples does Burke use to argue that some sights are pleasurable to all people?
4. What, according to Burke, is the cause of wrong "taste" in a person?
5. What is this creative power of the mind incapable of producing?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)