|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, Sections I - IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Burke, affects the passions and most incites admiration?
(a) That which we know little or nothing about.
(b) That which is human made and manufactured.
(c) That with which we are closely acquainted.
(d) That which can be explained in lay terms.
2. To which human faculty does "taste" belong?
(a) To the will.
(b) To the soul.
(c) To the imagination.
(d) To the passions.
3. What set of animals does Burke use as examples of power and the sublime?
(a) Birds, fish, and reptiles.
(b) Dogs, cats, and mice.
(c) Elephants, buffalo, and giraffes.
(d) Oxen, bulls, and horses.
4. What is the same in all humans, according to Burke?
(a) The curiosity and wonder for nature.
(b) The capacity for feeling.
(c) The general intelligence quotient.
(d) The standards of reason and taste.
5. Burke believes that "taste" arises from:
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main manifestation of infinity Burke mentions?
2. What two main passions connect with this creative power of the mind?
3. What will be Burke's focus in "A Philosophical Enquiry Into the Origin of Our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful"?
4. How does Burke use the word "delight?"
5. What does Burke assert is present in every religion, to some degree?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)