|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, Sections I - IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burke use as a common, but bad, example of infinity?
(a) An ocean.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A cross.
(d) A snake.
2. What is Burke's argument for the existence of the passion of ambition?
(a) Ambition incites jealousy and envy, which drive people to become violent.
(b) Ambition incites in people the drive to improve and excel so society will not stagnate.
(c) Ambition is the manifestation of the natural hierarchy of low humans to high humans.
(d) Ambition forces people to look within and question their inner selves.
3. How does Burke use the word "delight?"
(a) To describe the feeling one gets when pain is removed.
(b) To equate that feeling with pleasure.
(c) To demonstrate his feelings.
(d) To describe the natural state of humanity.
4. What two aspects comprise Burke's "artificial infinity?"
(a) Strength and power.
(b) Terror and greatness.
(c) Succession and uniformity.
(d) Curiosity and desire.
5. To which human faculty does "taste" belong?
(a) To the passions.
(b) To the imagination.
(c) To the soul.
(d) To the will.
Short Answer Questions
1. What large part of text has Burke added between the First and Second editions?
2. Which example does Burke use in his discussion in Section VIII about infinity?
3. What two main passions connect with this creative power of the mind?
4. What examples does Burke use to argue that some sights are pleasurable to all people?
5. What does Burke warn his readers about in the Second Preface?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)