|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two main passions connect with this creative power of the mind?
(a) Love and hate.
(b) Pain and pleasure.
(c) Lust and desire.
(d) Curiosity and understanding.
2. What problem does Burke see with the contemporary notion of "taste?"
(a) Everyone pays too much attention to taste and not enough attention to reason.
(b) Nobody Burke knows seems to have taste.
(c) It's principles have not been made uniform.
(d) The concept of taste is misunderstood and badly defined.
3. How does Burke use the word "delight?"
(a) To equate that feeling with pleasure.
(b) To describe the feeling one gets when pain is removed.
(c) To describe the natural state of humanity.
(d) To demonstrate his feelings.
4. How do all emotions and passions affect the human mind?
(a) With unpredictable, greatly varying effects.
(b) By natural, uniform, predictable principles.
(c) By forcing the mind to yield to the heart.
(d) With scarring, searing effects.
5. Which method of teaching does Burke think best?
(a) Allowing the learner to investigate the subject.
(b) Lecturing the learner on the subject.
(c) Referring obliquely to the subject in conversation with the learner.
(d) Testing the learner on the subject.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Burke, is the first and most simple emotion of the human mind?
2. Burke believes that "taste" arises from:
3. What, according to Burke, is the cause of wrong "taste" in a person?
4. What, according to Burke, is most striking to this creative power of mind?
5. What large part of text has Burke added between the First and Second editions?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)