|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV, Sections VIII - XXV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How, according to Burke, can light and dark be equal?
(a) When the overpowering nature of one creates the effect of the other.
(b) If one experiences light and dark for equal periods of time.
(c) Because according to science, there is no difference between light and dark.
(d) Only when quantities balance each other.
2. According to Burke, what is the mechanical reason darkness is terrible?
(a) The body's processes slow down.
(b) The brain's ability to think is much reduced.
(c) The eye's compensation for darkness causes pain.
(d) The skin becomes less sensitive and reduces feeling.
3. Which of the following is one of the general privations Burke lists?
4. What causes hearing in humans, according to Burke?
(a) Waves floating through the air.
(b) Vibrations in the ear.
(c) Alterations in the ether.
(d) Pulsations caused by physical movement.
5. What body part's workings does Burke describe in detail?
(a) The eye.
(b) The joints.
(c) The liver.
(d) The heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Burke define "beauty?"
2. Burke contrasts smoothness to __________ in his discussion of beauty.
3. What sense does Burke use to illustrate the artificial infinite?
4. What, according to Burke, is the state of a man whose teeth are set and whose forehead is wrinkled?
5. What large part of text has Burke added between the First and Second editions?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)