|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the general reason Burke wrote the book, as stated in the First Preface?
(a) Burke wanted to make money with the publication of this treatise.
(b) Burke was taking dictation on the subject from his longtime mentor.
(c) Burke was initially at a loss to coherently describe the sublime and beautiful.
(d) Burke completely disagreed with all else written on the sublime and the beautiful.
2. What two main passions connect with this creative power of the mind?
(a) Curiosity and understanding.
(b) Love and hate.
(c) Pain and pleasure.
(d) Lust and desire.
3. What does Burke term the "creative power" of the mind?
4. What are sources of the "sublime?"
(a) Anything that promotes pleasure.
(b) Anything of beauty.
(c) Anything that excites terror, pain, or danger.
(d) Anything that causes the subject to think deeply.
5. Which passion belongs under the heading of "self-preservation?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Burke use to demonstrate that differing tastes stem from the same basic root?
2. To which human faculty does "taste" belong?
3. What is Burke's argument for the existence of the passion of ambition?
4. What does Burke hope will be the result of his "A Philosophical Enquiry Into the Origin of Our Ideas of the Sublime and Beautiful"?
5. How does Burke define "grief?"
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)