|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 10 short essay questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird briefly fantasizes about _______________________.
2. What does Bird tell Himiko?
3. Where does Bird wake up in Chapter 5?
4. What had happened to Himiko's husband?
5. What makes Bird happy for a few moments as he leaves the school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author give names to only a few of the characters?
2. How is Bird's burden somehow lightened when he finally accepts responsibility for his son?
3. What is important foreshadowing regarding the tests of strength and Bird's encounter with the gang?
4. What is the significance of Bird's worrying about the top on the car and Himiko's swerving to miss hitting the dead sparrow on the road?
5. Waking up sick with a hangover, what does Bird think might serve as partial restitution for the baby's dire situation?
6. What do the giggling doctor and the one-eyed doctor symbolize in the story?
7. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
8. What is Bird's state of mind at the beginning of the book and what does the first chapter signify for his life?
9. How is sex and sexuality a means for Bird to avoid responsibility?
10. How is Bird's encounter with the gang a boost to his flailing ego?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)