|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the dark continent?
2. Who does Bird call from the hospital?
3. References are made about ________________ giving birth.
4. What is Bird told about the new baby?
5. What does the person in #52 tell Bird?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nature of Bird's brief encounter with the transvestite on the street.
2. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
3. Who are the people who Bird encounters when he gets to the maternity hospital?
4. In what ways could the women at the maternity hospital be symbolized as angels?
5. Why did the author give names to only a few of the characters?
6. Who is Delchef and how is he introduced into the story?
7. How is sex and sexuality a means for Bird to avoid responsibility?
8. What advice does Bird's mother-in-law give him regarding visiting his wife?
9. What does Bird notice about the women watching from the windows of the maternity hospital?
10. How does Bird learn that his child has a problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Coming of age is an important theme in A PERSONAL MATTER. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)