|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird briefly fantasizes about _______________________.
2. What did the Hospital Director do during the baby's birth?
3. The Hospital Director's behavior makes him appear to be __________________.
4. Who does Bird encounter when he leaves the shop?
5. What is Bird contemplating in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bird's state of mind at the beginning of the book and what does the first chapter signify for his life?
2. How does Bird's thoughts about his child as a war hero show what Bird really feels about the journey ahead for the child and himself?
3. What is important foreshadowing regarding the tests of strength and Bird's encounter with the gang?
4. What is the significance of Himiko's character in the story?
5. Why did the author give names to only a few of the characters?
6. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
7. What does Bird think about after he leaves the shop and how does he avoid learning about the birth of his child?
8. Who is Delchef and how is he introduced into the story?
9. What is the significance of the two men who come to Himiko's home?
10. What advice does Bird's mother-in-law give him regarding visiting his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in 1960s Japan when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Coming of age is an important theme in A PERSONAL MATTER. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book. List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)