|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The doctor would like to be present for the baby's __________________.
2. Who tells Bird about the baby's condition at the other hospital?
3. Who/what is foreshadowed in Chapter 2?
4. What does Bird identify himself as when he arrives at the hospital?
5. What games does Bird try after talking to his mother-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird's father-in-law give to Bird during the visit and why is this an unlikely offering given Bird's troubles with addiction?
2. What is the significance of the students in Bird's class and what do they represent after his in-class vomiting incident?
3. What is the significance of the two men who come to Himiko's home?
4. What is Bird doing at the beginning of A PERSONAL MATTER? What is going on with Bird's wife and how does Bird think his life will soon change?
5. What advice does Bird's mother-in-law give him regarding visiting his wife?
6. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
7. What does Bird observe when he visits his father-in-law at the university?
8. What does Bird think about after he leaves the shop and how does he avoid learning about the birth of his child?
9. In what ways could the women at the maternity hospital be symbolized as angels?
10. Describe the nature of Bird's brief encounter with the transvestite on the street.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of women in 1960s Japan when the women in the novel are living their lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that 21st century women do not have?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Bird. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bird?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Himiko. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Himiko?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)