|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When will the baby's condition be better known?
2. What is known about the person in #79?
3. Bird thinks the people in #38 look like ________________.
4. References are made about ________________ giving birth.
5. The Hospital Director's behavior makes him appear to be __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bird's state of mind at the beginning of the book and what does the first chapter signify for his life?
2. How is Bird's encounter with the gang a boost to his flailing ego?
3. What is ironic about Bird's using sex to avoid responsibility?
4. What seems to exaggerate Bird's feelings of inadequacy at the arcade?
5. What does Bird observe when he visits his father-in-law at the university?
6. What does Bird learn about the child's birth when he calls his mother-in-law?
7. Who are the people who Bird encounters when he gets to the maternity hospital?
8. What advice does Bird's mother-in-law give him regarding visiting his wife?
9. How does the doctor exhibit insensitivity toward Bird about the baby on the way to the hospital?
10. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Oe choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the conflict between Bird and his wife. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does the conflict between Bird and his wife occur shortly after their marriage?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the internal conflict Bird feels about his life. Does he not want to be married? Does he not want a child? Does he really just want to run away to Africa and forget his responsibilities? Why did Bird engage in a relationship with his wife if he was not ready?
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)