|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person in #54 give Bird before he leaves?
2. Bird briefly fantasizes about _______________________.
3. What is Bird dreaming of in Chapter 2?
4. Bird thinks the people in #38 look like ________________.
5. How is Bird positioned for his new roles in life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bird learn that his child has a problem?
2. What is the significance of Himiko's character in the story?
3. Who is Delchef and how is he introduced into the story?
4. Where does Bird go after leaving his father-in-law's office?
5. What does Bird observe when he visits his father-in-law at the university?
6. What is significant about Bird's hangover and vomiting in class?
7. What does the glass-eyed doctor tell Bird they will know more about the baby's condition?
8. How does Bird's thoughts about his child as a war hero show what Bird really feels about the journey ahead for the child and himself?
9. What does Bird learn about the child's birth when he calls his mother-in-law?
10. How does the doctor exhibit insensitivity toward Bird about the baby on the way to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the conflict between Bird and his wife. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does the conflict between Bird and his wife occur shortly after their marriage?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall setting setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Oe choose to use these places in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Bird. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Bird?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)