|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What place has Bird always wanted to visit?
2. Who does Bird encounter when he leaves the shop?
3. How old is Bird?
4. References are made about ________________ giving birth.
5. What is the profession of the person in #54?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird think about after he leaves the shop and how does he avoid learning about the birth of his child?
2. What is the significance of Himiko's character in the story?
3. How is Bird's encounter with the gang a boost to his flailing ego?
4. Why did the author give names to only a few of the characters?
5. What does Bird observe when he visits his father-in-law at the university?
6. What does the glass-eyed doctor tell Bird they will know more about the baby's condition?
7. What advice does Bird's mother-in-law give him regarding visiting his wife?
8. What is unusual about the doctor who speaks to Bird about the baby?
9. What is significant about Bird's hangover and vomiting in class?
10. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A PERSONAL MATTER is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what it means that Bird is a man who keeps running away. In what areas does Bird seemingly fail? How does Bird feel about these failures? What is the turning point where Bird refuses to run away any longer?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)