|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bird catches a glimpse of Himiko's naked body, he ___________________________.
2. What did Bird do the summer after he got married?
3. What does Bird learn about his son when he sees him in the hospital?
4. What had happened to Himiko's husband?
5. When will the baby's condition be better known?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird learn about the child's birth when he calls his mother-in-law?
2. How does the doctor exhibit insensitivity toward Bird about the baby on the way to the hospital?
3. What is Bird doing at the beginning of A PERSONAL MATTER? What is going on with Bird's wife and how does Bird think his life will soon change?
4. How is sex and sexuality a means for Bird to avoid responsibility?
5. What is important foreshadowing regarding the tests of strength and Bird's encounter with the gang?
6. What is the significance of Himiko's character in the story?
7. Waking up sick with a hangover, what does Bird think might serve as partial restitution for the baby's dire situation?
8. What is ironic about Bird's using sex to avoid responsibility?
9. How does Bird's thoughts about his child as a war hero show what Bird really feels about the journey ahead for the child and himself?
10. What advice does Bird's mother-in-law give him regarding visiting his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Himiko. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Himiko?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment then cite an example to support your answers.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)