|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Bird convinced as he walks through the hospital?
2. Which of the following does Bird NOT think about on this day?
3. Bird and Himiko reminisce about ____________________________.
4. What is the profession of the person in #54?
5. What is Bird dreaming of in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
2. How is Bird's encounter with the gang a boost to his flailing ego?
3. What is ironic about Bird's using sex to avoid responsibility?
4. In what ways could the women at the maternity hospital be symbolized as angels?
5. What is significant about Bird's hangover and vomiting in class?
6. Where does Bird go after leaving his father-in-law's office?
7. What does the glass-eyed doctor tell Bird they will know more about the baby's condition?
8. How does Bird learn that his child has a problem?
9. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
10. How is sex and sexuality a means for Bird to avoid responsibility?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novle and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the internal conflict Bird feels about his life. Does he not want to be married? Does he not want a child? Does he really just want to run away to Africa and forget his responsibilities? Why did Bird engage in a relationship with his wife if he was not ready?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)