|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does Bird call his mother-in-law?
2. When will the baby's condition be better known?
3. When does the doctor want Bird to return to the hospital?
4. What is Bird's mother-in-law doing when he arrives at the hospital?
5. How old is Bird?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Bird's encounter with the gang a boost to his flailing ego?
2. How does the doctor exhibit insensitivity toward Bird about the baby on the way to the hospital?
3. What is the significance of the two men who come to Himiko's home?
4. What do the giggling doctor and the one-eyed doctor symbolize in the story?
5. Where does Bird go after leaving his father-in-law's office?
6. How does Bird learn that his child has a problem?
7. What is ironic about Bird's using sex to avoid responsibility?
8. Describe the nature of Bird's brief encounter with the transvestite on the street.
9. Describe the altercation Bird has with a student in his class after Bird vomits.
10. What does Bird think about after he leaves the shop and how does he avoid learning about the birth of his child?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Himiko. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Himiko?
Essay Topic 2
A PERSONAL MATTER is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the conflict between Bird and his wife. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why does the conflict between Bird and his wife occur shortly after their marriage?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)