|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 10 short essay questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Bird happy for a few moments as he leaves the school?
2. What does Bird do when he realizes that Himiko has gone?
3. What is the weather like as Bird takes on the gang?
4. What request does Bird's colleague make of him?
5. From where does Bird call his mother-in-law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nature of Bird's brief encounter with the transvestite on the street.
2. What is important foreshadowing regarding the tests of strength and Bird's encounter with the gang?
3. What is the significance of Bird scratching behind his ear after his tiny son does the same thing?
4. Who are the people who Bird encounters when he gets to the maternity hospital?
5. What is Bird's state of mind at the beginning of the book and what does the first chapter signify for his life?
6. How does Bird's thoughts about his child as a war hero show what Bird really feels about the journey ahead for the child and himself?
7. Describe the motif of fear in the book and how Bird transcends it after talking with Kikuhiko.
8. How does the doctor exhibit insensitivity toward Bird about the baby on the way to the hospital?
9. At what stage is Bird in his journey of personal transformation at this point?
10. What does the glass-eyed doctor tell Bird they will know more about the baby's condition?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)