* A young man named Bird lingers in a store over an atlas open to a map of Africa.
* Bird's wife is in a maternity hospital giving birth.
* Bird has always wanted to visit Africa but may not be able to now since he will have a child.
* After leaving the shop, Bird encounters a transvestite who thinks Bird may be interested in an encounter but then rushes off.
* As Bird walks he thinks of his four-week alcoholic binge the week after he got married and his leaving graduate school as a result.
* Bird got a job at a cram school with the help of his father-in-law who is a professor.
* Bird knows that he needs to call his mother-in-law at the maternity hospital to find out about the birth but he seems to avoid every establishment which would have a phone.
* Bird finds his way into an...
This section contains 1,857 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)