|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who signed into law the Espionage Act of 1917?
2. While imprisoned at the age of 20, Malcolm X became a member of what religious movement?
3. The Japanese American internment was the World War II internment in "War Relocation Camps" of about how many people of Japanese heritage who lived on the Pacific coast of the United States?
4. The Knights of Labor demanded a workday that consisted of how many hours?
5. In what year did Richard Nixon resign as President of the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the position of women in society in the 1960s in Chapter 19?
2. What movements worked to fight against the corruption of corporations and government during the Industrial Revolution, according to the author in Chapter 11?
3. What does Howard Zinn criticize about the U.S.’s involvement in Vietnam in Chapter 18?
4. How does the author describe the beginning of the feminist movement in Chapter 19?
5. What literary figures does Howard Zinn laud for their activism during American imperialism in Chapter 13?
6. How does Howard Zinn describe the increasing power of banks as a result of the Industrial Revolution in Chapter 13?
7. What developments emerged to fight back against the growing power of corporations prior to World War I, according to the author in Chapter 13?
8. How does the author describe the government's campaign to destroy the IWW in Chapter 15?
9. When did the My Lai Massacre take place? How is this event described in Chapter 18?
10. How did the Industrial Revolution impact the common people, according to the author in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Sojourner Truth and her “Ain’t I a Woman?” speech in Akron, Ohio. When did Sojourner Truth give this speech? How was it received? In what ways do you think Sojourner Truth influenced perceptions of women in society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the surrounding circumstances of the American Civil War and the battles, casualties, and aftermath of the war. What were the tensions like between the North and South following the Union victory? How was order maintained by the government at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the My Lai Massacre and its impact on anti-war activists and the public perceptions of the Vietnam War. When did the trial take place which accused the involved soldiers of war crimes? Who was found guilty and what time was served?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)