|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was elected president of the American Federation of Labor at its founding convention?
2. Who was the most important leader in the Knights of Labor?
3. When did the Philippine-American War take place?
4. Who signed into law the Espionage Act of 1917?
5. When was Ho Chi Minh born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What movements worked to fight against the corruption of corporations and government during the Industrial Revolution, according to the author in Chapter 11?
2. How does the author describe the position of women in society in the 1960s in Chapter 19?
3. What does Howard Zinn criticize about the U.S.’s involvement in Vietnam in Chapter 18?
4. What quote of Randolph Bourne is discussed in Chapter 14? How does Zinn assert Bourne’s quote is correct?
5. How had governments established order by 1877, according to the author in Chapter 11?
6. How is the “Cold War” defined by the author in Chapter 16?
7. What corruptions of the government are discussed by Howard Zinn in Chapter 20?
8. How does the author describe the beginning of the feminist movement in Chapter 19?
9. What were the “Pentagon Papers”? How did these documents come to light?
10. What does Howard Zinn question about the motives of World War I in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Nathaniel Bacon and the Bacon Rebellion. What were the causes of the rebellion? How many settlers, Native Americans, and African slaves were killed in the rebellion? How did the aftermath of the rebellion impact governance in the colonies and the relationship between the colonists and the British crown?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the origins, history, culture, religion, and society of the Arawak people, and how this society changed with the arrival of Columbus and his fleet. How many Arawak people inhabited the islands where Columbus landed? How many slaves did Columbus take with him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the racial and class bias regarding those who were allowed to fight in the American Revolutionary War. Why did the Americans originally limit those who served to landowners? Why and when did this restriction change? Why did the Americans refuse to allow Native Americans or African slaves to participate in the war?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)