|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first of the Jim Crow laws was enacted in what year?
2. What was Malcolm X’s birth name?
3. What term refers to a political philosophy that advocates stateless societies based on non-hierarchical free associations?
4. During what years did Gerald Ford serve as President of the United States?
5. When did the Korean War take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the “Cold War” defined by the author in Chapter 16?
2. How did World War I begin? How was the war perceived by the American Communist Party, according to the author in Chapter 16?
3. What corruptions of the government are discussed by Howard Zinn in Chapter 20?
4. How did the Industrial Revolution impact the common people, according to the author in Chapter 11?
5. What were the “Pentagon Papers”? How did these documents come to light?
6. What does Howard Zinn question about the motives of World War I in Chapter 16?
7. What were the reasons for the period of American imperialism that began in the 1890s? Chapter 12?
8. What argument does Howard Zinn make regarding the governmental reforms against racial discrimination in Chapter 17?
9. What developments emerged to fight back against the growing power of corporations prior to World War I, according to the author in Chapter 13?
10. How does Zinn describe the differences between the upper and lower classes regarding their trust in the government in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the chain of oppression in Jamestown and the other British colonies in the latter half of the 1600s. In the social hierarchy, where did women exist? Where were African slaves and Native Americans in the hierarchy? Who had the greatest economic control?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the surrounding circumstances of the American Civil War and the battles, casualties, and aftermath of the war. What were the tensions like between the North and South following the Union victory? How was order maintained by the government at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the various factors that led to the American colonial discontent which enabled the American Revolutionary War. How many independent revolts had taken place in the colonies prior to the war? What does the author assert in regards to the motivations of the war? Do you agree or disagree with Zinn’s perspective? Why?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)