|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Preparedness Day Bombing was a bombing that took place where?
2. The People’s Party, or the “Populists” was a short-lived political party established in what year?
3. What did Executive Order 9981 abolish?
4. Where was Mary Harris born?
5. What is the title of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What corruptions of the government are discussed by Howard Zinn in Chapter 20?
2. How does Howard Zinn describe the increasing power of banks as a result of the Industrial Revolution in Chapter 13?
3. How does Zinn characterize the atmosphere of rebellion during the period of American imperialism in Chapter 13?
4. What wars emerged as a result of American imperialism? How does the author describe these wars in Chapter 12?
5. How had governments established order by 1877, according to the author in Chapter 11?
6. What developments emerged to fight back against the growing power of corporations prior to World War I, according to the author in Chapter 13?
7. How did World War I begin? How was the war perceived by the American Communist Party, according to the author in Chapter 16?
8. What movements worked to fight against the corruption of corporations and government during the Industrial Revolution, according to the author in Chapter 11?
9. What does Howard Zinn criticize about the U.S.’s involvement in Vietnam in Chapter 18?
10. How is the “Cold War” defined by the author in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the period of the Great Depression and its impact as seen in urban and rural communities across the United States. How did the Great Depression influence migration from the Midwest to California? What was this period of migration known as? Do you think those who lived in urban or rural environments were affected more by the Depression? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rise of anti-war activism as seen in popular entertainment of the 1960s. How did musicians like the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and others influence the masses during this historical period? What different mediums did activists use in order to influence others? How effective were these efforts in the 1960s in ending the war? How did culture change as a result?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the racial and class bias regarding those who were allowed to fight in the American Revolutionary War. Why did the Americans originally limit those who served to landowners? Why and when did this restriction change? Why did the Americans refuse to allow Native Americans or African slaves to participate in the war?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)