|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term refers to an ideology and movement that encourages the solidarity of Africans worldwide?
2. What is defined as an economic system characterized by social ownership of the means and production and cooperative management of the economy?
3. When was The Feminine Mystique published?
4. What is the title of Chapter 14?
5. When did the Spanish-American War begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did the My Lai Massacre take place? How is this event described in Chapter 18?
2. What does Howard Zinn question about the motives of World War I in Chapter 16?
3. What movements worked to fight against the corruption of corporations and government during the Industrial Revolution, according to the author in Chapter 11?
4. How did the Industrial Revolution impact the common people, according to the author in Chapter 11?
5. What developments emerged to fight back against the growing power of corporations prior to World War I, according to the author in Chapter 13?
6. How does the author describe the position of women in society in the 1960s in Chapter 19?
7. What argument does Howard Zinn make regarding the governmental reforms against racial discrimination in Chapter 17?
8. How does Zinn describe the differences between the upper and lower classes regarding their trust in the government in Chapter 20?
9. What does Howard Zinn criticize about the U.S.’s involvement in Vietnam in Chapter 18?
10. How does the author describe the beginning of the feminist movement in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the class struggles of the nineteenth century in the United States. What corporate and government abuses led to the civil unrest in the country and the establishment of organizations to fight corruption? How effective were these organizations in protecting the common people?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the period of the Great Depression and its impact as seen in urban and rural communities across the United States. How did the Great Depression influence migration from the Midwest to California? What was this period of migration known as? Do you think those who lived in urban or rural environments were affected more by the Depression? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the chain of oppression in Jamestown and the other British colonies in the latter half of the 1600s. In the social hierarchy, where did women exist? Where were African slaves and Native Americans in the hierarchy? Who had the greatest economic control?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)