|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Flour Riot break out in New York City?
2. In what year was Mary Dyer executed?
3. According to the author in Chapter 4, in 1700 colonial trade equaled £500,000; by 1770 it totaled how much?
4. According to the author in Chapter 7, “In 1820, 120,000 Indians lived east of the Mississippi. By 1844, fewer than” how many were left?
5. The Second Seminole War began in 1835 and lasted until when?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the English send 1,000 soldiers to Virginia in 1676, according to the author in Chapter 3?
2. How does the author describe history’s depiction of women in the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. What did Columbus discover when he returned to his fort at Navidad on his second journey, according to the author in Chapter 1? What did he take with him?
4. How do we know the details of Christopher Columbus’s first encounter with the Arawak people? How does the author describe Columbus’s views of the people in Chapter 1?
5. How is the Flour Riot of 1837 described in Chapter 10? What was the cause of the riot?
6. Who wrote the history of Columbus’s adventures in Cuba from the perspective of the inhabitants, according to the author in Chapter 1?
7. How does the author describe the Sioux puberty ceremony for women in Chapter 6?
8. How does the author describe the beginning of the American Revolutionary War in Chapter 5? How successful were the Americans in the first battles?
9. Where did Christopher Columbus intend to travel when he “discovered” the Americas? Where does the author assert he actually landed in Chapter 1?
10. When and where did Dorr’s Rebellion occur? How does the author describe the surrounding circumstances of this event in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the period of the Great Depression and its impact as seen in urban and rural communities across the United States. How did the Great Depression influence migration from the Midwest to California? What was this period of migration known as? Do you think those who lived in urban or rural environments were affected more by the Depression? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Marshall Plan and its influences and repercussions. When did the plan begin operation? How much money did the United States provide to Europe in order to rebuild the economy and prevent the spread of Communism? Why did the United States see Communism as an ultimate threat?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Antinomian Controversy and the role of Anne Hutchinson. When was Hutchinson’s trial? How long did it last? How successful was Hutchinson in deflecting the accusations of the Puritan leaders? Where did she go after she was banished from Massachusetts?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)