|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who founded the first school for women’s higher education, the Troy Female Seminary?
2. When did the Flour Riot break out in New York City?
3. When did the Mexican-American War take place?
4. The author states in Chapter 2, “It is roughly estimated that Africa lost” how many “human beings to death and slavery in those centuries we call the beginnings of modern Western civilization”?
5. On Columbus’s second voyage for the King and Queen of Spain, he was unable to locate gold so he instead filled his ships with how many slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do we know the details of Christopher Columbus’s first encounter with the Arawak people? How does the author describe Columbus’s views of the people in Chapter 1?
2. How does the author describe Mexico’s land area and status after 1821 in Chapter 8?
3. How does the author describe the Sioux puberty ceremony for women in Chapter 6?
4. How does Howard Zinn describe the growth in the number of slaves in the United States between 1790 and 1860 in Chapter 9?
5. When and where did Dorr’s Rebellion occur? How does the author describe the surrounding circumstances of this event in Chapter 10?
6. How does the author describe Virginia’s “chain of oppression” in Chapter 3?
7. How is the Flour Riot of 1837 described in Chapter 10? What was the cause of the riot?
8. What choice were the Native American people given in regard to their futures and their homes, according to the author in Chapter 7?
9. How does the author describe the uprisings in Kentucky and other colonies in 1760 in Chapter 4?
10. What positive qualities of the establishment of the United States does Zinn discuss in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the oppressions in industry in the early twentieth century. In what ways did corporate leaders segregate their workers in order to maintain oppression and order? How can this type of segregation be seen in corporations today? How does “outsourcing” relate to this concept?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the class struggles of the nineteenth century in the United States. What corporate and government abuses led to the civil unrest in the country and the establishment of organizations to fight corruption? How effective were these organizations in protecting the common people?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the various factors that led to the American colonial discontent which enabled the American Revolutionary War. How many independent revolts had taken place in the colonies prior to the war? What does the author assert in regards to the motivations of the war? Do you agree or disagree with Zinn’s perspective? Why?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)