|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was W. E. B. Du Bois born?
2. The Indian Removal Act was signed into law in what year?
3. When did the Flour Riot break out in New York City?
4. The author notes in Chapter 4 that by 1760, there had been how many uprisings designed to create a coup to overthrown various branches of the colonial governments?
5. The Indian Removal Act was signed into law by what U.S. President?
Short Essay Questions
1. What author spent a night in jail following his protest of the Mexican-American War? Why was he arrested?
2. How is the Flour Riot of 1837 described in Chapter 10? What was the cause of the riot?
3. How does Howard Zinn describe the changes of the Native American population from the 1820s to the 1840s in Chapter 7?
4. How are the traditions and cultures of the Native American tribes described regarding their perception of women in Chapter 6?
5. How does the author describe history’s depiction of women in the beginning of Chapter 6?
6. Where does the author assert the history of slavery in the U.S. originated in Chapter 2?
7. Why did the English send 1,000 soldiers to Virginia in 1676, according to the author in Chapter 3?
8. How does the author describe the Sioux puberty ceremony for women in Chapter 6?
9. Where did Christopher Columbus intend to travel when he “discovered” the Americas? Where does the author assert he actually landed in Chapter 1?
10. What was the first representative assembly introduced in Virginia? What were the responsibilities of this assembly regarding slavery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the origins, history, culture, religion, and society of the Arawak people, and how this society changed with the arrival of Columbus and his fleet. How many Arawak people inhabited the islands where Columbus landed? How many slaves did Columbus take with him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the various factors that led to the American colonial discontent which enabled the American Revolutionary War. How many independent revolts had taken place in the colonies prior to the war? What does the author assert in regards to the motivations of the war? Do you agree or disagree with Zinn’s perspective? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the surrounding circumstances of the American Civil War and the battles, casualties, and aftermath of the war. What were the tensions like between the North and South following the Union victory? How was order maintained by the government at this time?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)