|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christopher Columbus first encountered the Lucayan-Arawak Indians in a location known now as what?
2. When was the Tea Act passed by the British Parliament?
3. What is the title of Chapter 6 in A People’s History of the United States?
4. When did James Polk serve as President of the United States?
5. How many men did Columbus leave behind at the Navidad fort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What author spent a night in jail following his protest of the Mexican-American War? Why was he arrested?
2. How are the traditions and cultures of the Native American tribes described regarding their perception of women in Chapter 6?
3. How does the author describe the uprisings in Kentucky and other colonies in 1760 in Chapter 4?
4. Where did Christopher Columbus intend to travel when he “discovered” the Americas? Where does the author assert he actually landed in Chapter 1?
5. What did Columbus discover when he returned to his fort at Navidad on his second journey, according to the author in Chapter 1? What did he take with him?
6. How does the author describe the growing violence surrounding slavery in the 1860s and 1870s in Chapter 9?
7. Who wrote the history of Columbus’s adventures in Cuba from the perspective of the inhabitants, according to the author in Chapter 1?
8. How does Howard Zinn describe the changes of the Native American population from the 1820s to the 1840s in Chapter 7?
9. How does the author describe Virginia’s “chain of oppression” in Chapter 3?
10. How does Howard Zinn describe the growth in the number of slaves in the United States between 1790 and 1860 in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the policies of President Woodrow Wilson. In his first term as President, Wilson persuaded a Democratic Congress to pass major progressive reforms. What were these reforms? How did they affect the common citizens of the country?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rise of anti-war activism as seen in popular entertainment of the 1960s. How did musicians like the Beatles, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and others influence the masses during this historical period? What different mediums did activists use in order to influence others? How effective were these efforts in the 1960s in ending the war? How did culture change as a result?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the various factors that led to the American colonial discontent which enabled the American Revolutionary War. How many independent revolts had taken place in the colonies prior to the war? What does the author assert in regards to the motivations of the war? Do you agree or disagree with Zinn’s perspective? Why?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)