|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Antinomian Controversy take place?
2. The author states in Chapter 2 that the history of slavery in the United States traces back to where?
3. The Louisiana Purchase was an acquisition by the United States of lands claimed by France totally how many square miles?
4. When was Catharine Beecher born?
5. What is the title of Chapter 6 in A People’s History of the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wrote the history of Columbus’s adventures in Cuba from the perspective of the inhabitants, according to the author in Chapter 1?
2. How does the author describe Mexico’s land area and status after 1821 in Chapter 8?
3. What did Columbus discover when he returned to his fort at Navidad on his second journey, according to the author in Chapter 1? What did he take with him?
4. How do we know the details of Christopher Columbus’s first encounter with the Arawak people? How does the author describe Columbus’s views of the people in Chapter 1?
5. Where did Christopher Columbus intend to travel when he “discovered” the Americas? Where does the author assert he actually landed in Chapter 1?
6. What author spent a night in jail following his protest of the Mexican-American War? Why was he arrested?
7. How does the author describe history’s depiction of women in the beginning of Chapter 6?
8. When and where did Dorr’s Rebellion occur? How does the author describe the surrounding circumstances of this event in Chapter 10?
9. Where does the author assert the history of slavery in the U.S. originated in Chapter 2?
10. How does the author describe the uprisings in Kentucky and other colonies in 1760 in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the origins of African slavery in the American colonies, particularly in the colony of Virginia. How many European colonists lived in the settlement when African slaves were first shipped to the colony? How common were slaves? How much did they cost? Where in Africa and the islands did the slaves originally come from?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the colonization of the Americas and the settlements of the English, Dutch, French, Spanish, and other colonists that came to the New World to establish governance. Where did the first Puritan settlers land? What indigenous people lived in these regions? How many Native Americans died as a result of disease brought by the Europeans? How many died as a result of war and violence?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the different methods employed by labor unions, political parties, and advocacy groups during the nineteenth century in order to evoke change. What methods were most effective? What methods of protest are still used today? Why?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)