|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 12?
(a) Or Does It Explode
(b) The Seventies: Under Control
(c) The Empire and the People
(d) Self-Help in Hard Times
2. When did Herbert Hoover serve as President of the United States?
3. What did Executive Order 9981 abolish?
(a) Slavery of African Americans
(b) Racial discrimination in the armed forces
(c) Trade agreements with the Native Americans
(d) Women’s right to vote
4. What U.S. President authorized the Japanese American internment with Executive Order 9066?
(a) Woodrow Wilson
(b) Martin Van Buren
(c) Andrew Jackson
(d) Franklin D. Roosevelt
5. Who wrote The Feminine Mystique?
(a) Henry David Thoreau
(b) Harriot Hunt
(c) Emma Willard
(d) Betty Friedan
Short Answer Questions
1. During what years did Gerald Ford serve as President of the United States?
2. In what year did Emma Goldman immigrate to the United States?
3. COINTELPRO is an acronym for what?
4. Vietnam Veterans Against the War began as a placard slogan in the staging area for the Spring Mobilization to End the War anti-war demonstration in what year?
5. The Preparedness Day Bombing was a bombing that took place where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What literary figures does Howard Zinn laud for their activism during American imperialism in Chapter 13?
2. What developments emerged to fight back against the growing power of corporations prior to World War I, according to the author in Chapter 13?
3. How does the author describe the government's campaign to destroy the IWW in Chapter 15?
4. How is the “Cold War” defined by the author in Chapter 16?
5. What does Howard Zinn criticize about the U.S.’s involvement in Vietnam in Chapter 18?
6. How does Zinn characterize the atmosphere of rebellion during the period of American imperialism in Chapter 13?
7. How does Zinn describe the differences between the upper and lower classes regarding their trust in the government in Chapter 20?
8. How does Howard Zinn describe the causes and effects of the Great Depression in Chapter 15?
9. What wars emerged as a result of American imperialism? How does the author describe these wars in Chapter 12?
10. How did the Industrial Revolution impact the common people, according to the author in Chapter 11?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)