|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Executive Order 9981 abolish?
(a) Slavery of African Americans
(b) Women’s right to vote
(c) Racial discrimination in the armed forces
(d) Trade agreements with the Native Americans
2. Where was Alexander Berkman born?
(a) The Netherlands
(b) Great Britain
(c) The Russian Empire
3. What was the name of the atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima?
(a) Black Rocket
(b) Fat Man
(c) Little Boy
(d) Blue Tear
4. What was the name of the atomic bomb that was dropped over Nagasaki?
(a) White Man
(b) Little Boy
(c) Fat Man
(d) Old Man
5. In what year did President Harry S. Truman issue Executive Order 9981?
Short Answer Questions
1. The People’s Party, or the “Populists” was a short-lived political party established in what year?
2. The Preparedness Day Bombing was a bombing that took place where?
3. Who was the most important leader in the Knights of Labor?
4. The first of the Jim Crow laws was enacted in what year?
5. What is the title of Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did World War I begin? How was the war perceived by the American Communist Party, according to the author in Chapter 16?
2. What does Howard Zinn question about the motives of World War I in Chapter 16?
3. What argument does Howard Zinn make regarding the governmental reforms against racial discrimination in Chapter 17?
4. How had public opinion of the government changed by the 1970s, according to the author in Chapter 20?
5. How does Zinn describe the differences between the upper and lower classes regarding their trust in the government in Chapter 20?
6. What wars emerged as a result of American imperialism? How does the author describe these wars in Chapter 12?
7. How does Zinn characterize the atmosphere of rebellion during the period of American imperialism in Chapter 13?
8. What developments emerged to fight back against the growing power of corporations prior to World War I, according to the author in Chapter 13?
9. What literary figures does Howard Zinn laud for their activism during American imperialism in Chapter 13?
10. How does Howard Zinn describe the increasing power of banks as a result of the Industrial Revolution in Chapter 13?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)