|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Ho Chi Minh born?
2. The Socialist Labor Party of America was established in what year as the Workingmen’s Party?
3. When was the city of Hiroshima bombed by U.S. forces?
(a) August 9, 1945
(b) June 13, 1946
(c) September 12, 1944
(d) August 6, 1945
4. Where was Malcolm X born?
(a) San Francisco, California
(b) New York, New York
(c) Omaha, Nebraska
(d) Austin, Texas
5. Why does author Zinn make the argument that the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were unnecessary?
(a) The U.S. government knew the Japanese were considering surrender beforehand
(b) Japan had already surrendered
(c) Nagasaki and Hiroshima were not important cities to Japan
(d) The U.S. government had more capable weapons to ensure the surrender of Japan
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima?
2. When did the Cuban War of Independence take place?
3. What is the title of Chapter 15?
4. The Industrial Workers of the World is an international union that was formed in what year?
5. What did Executive Order 9981 abolish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What quote of Randolph Bourne is discussed in Chapter 14? How does Zinn assert Bourne’s quote is correct?
2. When did the My Lai Massacre take place? How is this event described in Chapter 18?
3. What developments emerged to fight back against the growing power of corporations prior to World War I, according to the author in Chapter 13?
4. How is the “Cold War” defined by the author in Chapter 16?
5. What were the “Pentagon Papers”? How did these documents come to light?
6. How did World War I begin? How was the war perceived by the American Communist Party, according to the author in Chapter 16?
7. How does the author describe the government's campaign to destroy the IWW in Chapter 15?
8. What literary figures does Howard Zinn laud for their activism during American imperialism in Chapter 13?
9. How did the Industrial Revolution impact the common people, according to the author in Chapter 11?
10. How does the author describe the position of women in society in the 1960s in Chapter 19?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)