|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was W. E. B. Du Bois born?
2. In Chapter 9, the author asserts that in 1790, there were 500,000 slaves in the U.S. How many slaves were there in 1860?
(a) 2 million
(b) 3 million
(c) 4 million
(d) 1 million
3. Who founded the first school for women’s higher education, the Troy Female Seminary?
(a) Harriot Hunt
(b) Betty Friedan
(c) Edna Calley
(d) Emma Willard
4. Sam Davis was hung by a mob in Harrodsburg, Kentucky in what year?
5. Where did the Stono Rebellion take place?
(b) South Carolina
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Mexican-American War take place?
2. The author states in Chapter 2 that the history of slavery in the United States traces back to where?
3. In what year was Mary Dyer executed?
4. The author notes in Chapter 2 that by 1800, how many blacks had been transported as slaves to the Americas?
5. The Republic of Texas was an independent sovereign nation in North America from 1836 until what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where did Dorr’s Rebellion occur? How does the author describe the surrounding circumstances of this event in Chapter 10?
2. What was the first representative assembly introduced in Virginia? What were the responsibilities of this assembly regarding slavery?
3. Who wrote the history of Columbus’s adventures in Cuba from the perspective of the inhabitants, according to the author in Chapter 1?
4. How is the Flour Riot of 1837 described in Chapter 10? What was the cause of the riot?
5. What choice were the Native American people given in regard to their futures and their homes, according to the author in Chapter 7?
6. Why did the English send 1,000 soldiers to Virginia in 1676, according to the author in Chapter 3?
7. What does the author say of “natural antipathy” in Chapter 2?
8. How does the author describe the beginning of the American Revolutionary War in Chapter 5? How successful were the Americans in the first battles?
9. How does Howard Zinn describe the changes of the Native American population from the 1820s to the 1840s in Chapter 7?
10. Where did Christopher Columbus intend to travel when he “discovered” the Americas? Where does the author assert he actually landed in Chapter 1?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)