|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Christopher Columbus first encounter the Arawak people?
2. In what year was Mary Dyer executed?
3. When did the Flour Riot break out in New York City?
4. According to the author in Chapter 4, in 1700 colonial trade equaled £500,000; by 1770 it totaled how much?
5. The ship headed for Jamestown that J. Saunders Redding writes about in Chapter 2 carried how many slaves?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did James Polk serve as President of the United States?
2. Who wrote the memoir entitled Glances and Glimpses; Or, Fifty Years' Social, Including Twenty Years' Professional Life?
3. When was Catharine Beecher born?
4. Christopher Columbus first encountered the Lucayan-Arawak Indians in a location known now as what?
5. When did the Antinomian Controversy take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What author spent a night in jail following his protest of the Mexican-American War? Why was he arrested?
2. How does the author describe the beginning of the American Revolutionary War in Chapter 5? How successful were the Americans in the first battles?
3. What did Columbus discover when he returned to his fort at Navidad on his second journey, according to the author in Chapter 1? What did he take with him?
4. How does Howard Zinn describe the growth in the number of slaves in the United States between 1790 and 1860 in Chapter 9?
5. Who wrote the history of Columbus’s adventures in Cuba from the perspective of the inhabitants, according to the author in Chapter 1?
6. How does the author describe Mexico’s land area and status after 1821 in Chapter 8?
7. Why did the English send 1,000 soldiers to Virginia in 1676, according to the author in Chapter 3?
8. Where does the author assert the history of slavery in the U.S. originated in Chapter 2?
9. How does the author describe the growing violence surrounding slavery in the 1860s and 1870s in Chapter 9?
10. How does the author compare and contrast the treatment of women to that of the Native Americans in Chapter 7?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)