|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 6 in A People’s History of the United States?
(a) The Unreported Resistance
(b) The Intimately Oppressed
(c) Slavery Without Submission, Emancipation Without Freedom
(d) The Coming Revolt of the Guards
2. The author notes in Chapter 4 that by 1760, there had been how many uprisings designed to create a coup to overthrown various branches of the colonial governments?
3. What is the title of Chapter 9?
(a) The Socialist Challenge
(b) The Empire and the People
(c) The Coming Revolt of the Guards
(d) Slavery Without Submission, Emancipation Without Freedom
4. Christopher Columbus erected the Navidad fort at the site of what present-day country?
5. When did the Stono Rebellion take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Royal Proclamation of 1763 was issued by whom?
2. In Chapter 2, J. Saunders Redding writes about a ship headed for Jamestown that arrived in North America in what year?
3. What is the title of Chapter 7?
4. Bacon's Rebellion started due to a conflict over how the settlers should deal with what issue?
5. Where was Amelia Bloomer born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Howard Zinn describe the growth in the number of slaves in the United States between 1790 and 1860 in Chapter 9?
2. How does the author describe Virginia’s “chain of oppression” in Chapter 3?
3. How is the Flour Riot of 1837 described in Chapter 10? What was the cause of the riot?
4. What was the first representative assembly introduced in Virginia? What were the responsibilities of this assembly regarding slavery?
5. How does Howard Zinn describe the changes of the Native American population from the 1820s to the 1840s in Chapter 7?
6. How does the author describe the beginning of the American Revolutionary War in Chapter 5? How successful were the Americans in the first battles?
7. How does the author describe the uprisings in Kentucky and other colonies in 1760 in Chapter 4?
8. What positive qualities of the establishment of the United States does Zinn discuss in Chapter 4?
9. Where does the author assert the history of slavery in the U.S. originated in Chapter 2?
10. How does the author compare and contrast the treatment of women to that of the Native Americans in Chapter 7?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)