|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Treaty of Paris signed?
(a) September 18, 1734
(b) July 28, 1629
(c) May 15, 1729
(d) February 10, 1763
2. When did Great Britain impose the Stamp Act, requiring that many printed materials in the colonies be produced on stamped paper made in London?
3. The Louisiana Purchase was an acquisition by the United States of lands claimed by France which took place in what year?
4. Sam Davis was hung by a mob in Harrodsburg, Kentucky in what year?
5. When did the Mexican-American War take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did James Polk serve as President of the United States?
2. What ship in Christopher Columbus’s fleet ran aground in Hispaniola, leading him to build a fort from it?
3. What name refers to a 19th century secret society composed mainly of Irish and Irish-American coal miners?
4. In what year was Mary Dyer executed?
5. The author states in Chapter 1 that it is said the source of information of Columbus’s conquests on the islands was written down by a young priest named what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and where did Dorr’s Rebellion occur? How does the author describe the surrounding circumstances of this event in Chapter 10?
2. How does Howard Zinn describe the changes of the Native American population from the 1820s to the 1840s in Chapter 7?
3. How does the author describe Mexico’s land area and status after 1821 in Chapter 8?
4. How does the author describe Virginia’s “chain of oppression” in Chapter 3?
5. What choice were the Native American people given in regard to their futures and their homes, according to the author in Chapter 7?
6. How does the author describe the growing violence surrounding slavery in the 1860s and 1870s in Chapter 9?
7. How does the author compare and contrast the treatment of women to that of the Native Americans in Chapter 7?
8. Where did Christopher Columbus intend to travel when he “discovered” the Americas? Where does the author assert he actually landed in Chapter 1?
9. Who wrote the history of Columbus’s adventures in Cuba from the perspective of the inhabitants, according to the author in Chapter 1?
10. How does the author describe history’s depiction of women in the beginning of Chapter 6?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)