|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Chapter 6 in A People’s History of the United States?
(a) The Unreported Resistance
(b) The Intimately Oppressed
(c) Slavery Without Submission, Emancipation Without Freedom
(d) The Coming Revolt of the Guards
2. Where did the first victory of the American Revolution take place?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts
(b) Jamestown, Virginia
(c) Yorktown, Virginia
(d) Lexington, Kentucky
3. In what year was Mary Dyer executed?
4. What percentage of profits was Christopher Columbus contracted to receive for the goods he brought back to the King and Queen of Spain during his voyage when he accidentally encountered the Americas?
5. When was the Treaty of Paris signed?
(a) May 15, 1729
(b) July 28, 1629
(c) February 10, 1763
(d) September 18, 1734
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the two main resources sought by Christopher Columbus on his voyage when he first encountered the Arawaks?
2. When did Great Britain impose the Stamp Act, requiring that many printed materials in the colonies be produced on stamped paper made in London?
3. The author notes in Chapter 2 that by 1800, how many blacks had been transported as slaves to the Americas?
4. On Columbus’s second voyage for the King and Queen of Spain, he was unable to locate gold so he instead filled his ships with how many slaves?
5. The author states in Chapter 2, “It is roughly estimated that Africa lost” how many “human beings to death and slavery in those centuries we call the beginnings of modern Western civilization”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What author spent a night in jail following his protest of the Mexican-American War? Why was he arrested?
2. What choice were the Native American people given in regard to their futures and their homes, according to the author in Chapter 7?
3. How does the author describe the Sioux puberty ceremony for women in Chapter 6?
4. What was the first representative assembly introduced in Virginia? What were the responsibilities of this assembly regarding slavery?
5. Where did Christopher Columbus intend to travel when he “discovered” the Americas? Where does the author assert he actually landed in Chapter 1?
6. How does the author describe the growing violence surrounding slavery in the 1860s and 1870s in Chapter 9?
7. Where does the author assert the history of slavery in the U.S. originated in Chapter 2?
8. How does Howard Zinn describe the growth in the number of slaves in the United States between 1790 and 1860 in Chapter 9?
9. Who wrote the history of Columbus’s adventures in Cuba from the perspective of the inhabitants, according to the author in Chapter 1?
10. How does the author describe the uprisings in Kentucky and other colonies in 1760 in Chapter 4?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)