|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Christopher Columbus returned to Spain after inadvertently landing in the Americas, he told the Queen and King of Spain that he had reached Asia and an island off of China. In reality, Columbus had traveled to what currently-known locations?
(a) To California and Oregon
(b) To Virginia and Louisiana
(c) To Maine and Massachusetts
(d) To Cuba and Hispaniola
2. What percentage of profits was Christopher Columbus contracted to receive for the goods he brought back to the King and Queen of Spain during his voyage when he accidentally encountered the Americas?
3. The ship headed for Jamestown that J. Saunders Redding writes about in Chapter 2 carried how many slaves?
4. Where did the Dorr Rebellion take place?
(d) Rhode Island
5. When was the Tea Act passed by the British Parliament?
6. The word “Arawak” comes from “aru” which is the Lucayan word for what?
(b) Banana leaf
(c) Cassava flour
(d) Coconut oil
7. When was Catharine Beecher born?
8. When did Christopher Columbus first encounter the Arawak people?
9. Martin Van Buren served as U.S. President during what years?
10. The Indian Removal Act was signed into law by what U.S. President?
(a) Abraham Lincoln
(b) Martin Van Buren
(c) Andrew Jackson
(d) James Polk
11. Sam Davis was hung by a mob in Harrodsburg, Kentucky in what year?
12. The Republic of Texas was an independent sovereign nation in North America from 1836 until what year?
13. What trade does the author assert was largely responsible for the growth of slavery in the United States in Chapter 9?
(a) The gold trade
(b) The hemp trade
(c) The cotton trade
(d) The coal trade
14. The author states in Chapter 2 that the history of slavery in the United States traces back to where?
15. When did Great Britain impose the Stamp Act, requiring that many printed materials in the colonies be produced on stamped paper made in London?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who among Christopher Columbus’s shipmates took the Pinta on an unauthorized expedition in search of an island called "Babeque" to search for gold while in Cuba?
2. In what year was the first representative assembly introduced in Jamestown in the form of the Virginia House of Burgesses?
3. Where was the Anti-Rent War centralized?
4. What was the name of the agreement struck in 1895 between African-American leaders and Southern white leaders that stipulated Southern blacks would work meekly and submit to white political rule, while Southern whites guaranteed that blacks would receive basic education and due process in law?
5. Bacon's Rebellion was an armed rebellion in 1676 by Virginia settlers against what governor?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)