|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Treaty of Paris signed?
(a) May 15, 1729
(b) February 10, 1763
(c) September 18, 1734
(d) July 28, 1629
2. The author states in Chapter 1 that it is said the source of information of Columbus’s conquests on the islands was written down by a young priest named what?
(a) Martín Alonso Pinzón
(b) Jonathan Schell
(c) William Berkeley
(d) Bartolome de las Casas
3. What was the name of the agreement struck in 1895 between African-American leaders and Southern white leaders that stipulated Southern blacks would work meekly and submit to white political rule, while Southern whites guaranteed that blacks would receive basic education and due process in law?
(a) The Atlanta compromise
(b) The Kentucky compromise
(c) The Jim Crow compromise
(d) The Jackson compromise
4. What ship in Christopher Columbus’s fleet ran aground in Hispaniola, leading him to build a fort from it?
(a) The Gallega
(b) The Pinta
(c) The Santa Maria
(d) The Nina
5. The ship headed for Jamestown that J. Saunders Redding writes about in Chapter 2 carried how many slaves?
6. When did the Flour Riot break out in New York City?
7. What is the title of Chapter 7?
(a) As Long as Grass Grows or Water Runs
(b) The Socialist Challenge
(c) Robber Barons and Rebels
(d) The Coming Revolt of the Guards
8. In Chapter 2, J. Saunders Redding writes about a ship headed for Jamestown that arrived in North America in what year?
9. When did the Antinomian Controversy take place?
10. The author notes in Chapter 2 that by 1800, how many blacks had been transported as slaves to the Americas?
(a) 10 to 15 million
(b) 5 to 10 million
(c) 15 to 20 million
(d) 1 to 3 million
11. The Anti-Rent War was also known by what name?
(a) The Mondale War
(b) The Helderberg War
(c) The Hunt War
(d) The Powderly War
12. Bacon's Rebellion was an armed rebellion in 1676 by Virginia settlers led by whom?
(a) William Bacon
(b) Nathan Bacon
(c) James Bacon
(d) Johnathan Bacon
13. The Louisiana Purchase was an acquisition by the United States of lands claimed by France totally how many square miles?
14. Where was Amelia Bloomer born?
(a) Concord, Massachusetts
(b) Homer, New York
(c) Lexington, Kentucky
(d) Jamestown, Virginia
15. What percentage of profits was Christopher Columbus contracted to receive for the goods he brought back to the King and Queen of Spain during his voyage when he accidentally encountered the Americas?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the memoir entitled Glances and Glimpses; Or, Fifty Years' Social, Including Twenty Years' Professional Life?
2. What author spent a night in jail for refusing to pay his Massachusetts Poll Tax because he opposed the Mexican-American War?
3. Where did the Antinomian Controversy take place?
4. In what year was the first representative assembly introduced in Jamestown in the form of the Virginia House of Burgesses?
5. When did Great Britain impose the Stamp Act, requiring that many printed materials in the colonies be produced on stamped paper made in London?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)