|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of glasses do the narrator's parents serve alcoholic beverages at parties?
2. The narrator states that "Policy is what" (19) who wants?
3. The customers "bunch up" (20) in front of whose register?
4. The narrator states that when his parents do serve alcoholic beverages at a party, they serve what?
5. The narrator says that the truck parked outside of the A and P is full of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the young woman dubbed "Queenie" (5) by Sammy react to Lengel's actions?
2. In what way does Updike use the animal motif within the customers' reaction to the scene involving Lengel and the young women?
3. Describe an example of Updike's use of metaphor within the story.
4. What type of home life does Sammy imagine for the young woman he dubs "Queenie" (5)?
5. How does Updike demonstrate Sammy's lack of experience with girls and women?
6. Discuss the socioeconomic status from which Sammy's family stems.
7. What unique form of imagery does Updike create to depict Queenie's anger at Lengel's words?
8. In what way do food similes enter the story and for what purpose does Updike use them?
9. How is repetition utilized within Paragraph 21?
10. How does Updike show the childlike and whimsical nature of Sammy's personality in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons why “A and P” uses a first-person narrator and a plot that unfolds in real time. What elements of the story's themes lend themselves to these choices and what are Updike’s intended effects on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Sammy’s fascination with the bodies of the three young women who enter the store in their bathing suits. Conduct an online inquiry that will allow you to understand the context of Updike’s possible messages more fully. Consider the fact that the story was first in 1961 as you conduct your research. Then combine your research with your analysis of the story and answer the prompt.
Essay Topic 3
Explicate the theme of conformity within Updike’s story “A and P.” What is Updike’s message regarding conformity and how do you know? Be sure to consider characters that may represent conformity or its opposite.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)