|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At which "check-out slot" (1) is the narrator working throughout the story?
(a) Number 1.
(b) Number 2.
(c) Number 3.
(d) Number 4.
2. To what animal does the narrator compare his customers when discussing how they react to seeing the girls in the store?
3. One of the young women picks up a package of what before putting it back?
(b) Clam dip.
4. The young woman on whom the narrator first focuses is wearing a green what?
(d) Bathing suit.
5. The narrator asks the reader in reference to females, "Do you really think there's a mind in there or just a buzz like a" what "in a glass jar" (2)?
(b) Fluorescent light bulb.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says of his town, "It's not as if we're on the" (10) what?
2. The girls ask a question when they reach what area of the store?
3. What country does the narrator imagine will have taken over the United States by the time Stokesie fulfills his goal?
4. What does the narrator describe the young women as wearing?
5. The tallest young woman in the group has what type of hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sammy mean when he describes Stokesie "finding his voice" (9)?
2. Provide evidence for the conclusion that there are many people in Sammy's town who are set in their ways.
3. To what does Stokesie refer when he asks Sammy, "Is it done?" (9)?
4. What is Stokesie's career goal?
5. What sorts of details does Updike use to portray the appearance of the store and why?
6. What is ironic about Sammy's reaction when he sees McMahon ogling the young women?
7. What is the setting of the story "A and P"?
8. Describe the three young women who enter the store.
9. What is Stokesie's family situation?
10. What simile does Sammy use to describe the layout of the grocery store?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)