• The following version of this book was used to create this Lesson Plan: Updike, John. “A & P.” Literature: A Portable Anthology. 2nd ed. Bedford St. Martin’s, 2009. Print.
• The included citation numbers refer to paragraphs, rather than pages, and for clarity’s sake, even short pieces of dialogue count as paragraphs as long as they are set apart from the rest of the text with an indent and white space.
• Though the narrator’s name is not revealed until late in the story, his name is Sammy and he is a 19-year-old man who works full-time at a small grocery store.
• The story depicts a brief period of time within one day in Sammy’s life.
• Sammy is working at one of the cash registers at the A & P when three young women enter the store wearing bathing suits and no shoes.
• Sammy studies the first...
This section contains 2,621 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)