|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Henry after he causes the milk to explode at the Glenmore?
2. What is the name of Royal Loomis’s eldest brother?
3. When did Emily Dickinson die?
4. While reading Emily Dickinson in the beginning of Chapter 23, Mattie realizes that all the authors she admires are what?
5. Where does Henry leave some jars of milk, causing them to explode, in the narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Pa bring to Mattie regarding Weaver Smith’s family in Chapter 32?
2. What does Miss Wilcox send to Mattie in Chapter 27? What news does she relate in her letter?
3. How is Mattie trained at the Glenmore Hotel? Who does she work for?
4. How do Mattie and her coworkers elicit revenge on Mr. Maxwell in Chapter 31?
5. What information does Miss Wilcox confess to Mattie in Chapter 17?
6. How does Mattie begin to equate Weaver Smith’s situation to that of Grace Brown in Chapter 33?
7. Where is Miss Wilcox planning to depart for in Chapter 27? How does Mattie visit her teacher?
8. What discovery does Mattie make while reading the works of Emily Dickinson in Chapter 23?
9. What leads Mattie to leave the Glenmore Hotel and go home for a week in Chapter 25?
10. How are the themes of duty and responsibility illustrated in Chapters 23-26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the early feminist movement and the suffrage movement in the United States. When did women begin to demand the right to vote and when was the right granted? What are some examples of early feminist authors, and what were their main causes at the turn of the century? How does author Jennifer Donnelly depict this movement in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of courtship and marriage in the novel. During the time period in which the story is set, how important were the rituals of courtship and marriage? At what age were young men and women typically married? How atypical was it for young women to attend college instead of marrying?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the theme of duty and obligation as seen in A Northern Light. How are Mattie’s duties to her family at odds with her desires to become a writer? When in your experience have you had to choose between duty and desire? What do you think Mattie should choose? Why?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)