|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie accept from Royal Loomis in Chapter 25?
2. Mattie sends money to her father to pay for what in the end of the novel?
3. What causes Mattie internal conflict regarding the letters of Grace Brown in the novel?
4. What is the name of Miss Wilcox’s estranged husband who appears in Chapter 17?
5. Mattie compares her love for Royal with Grace Brown’s love for whom in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mattie’s relationship with Royal Loomis progress in Chapter 18? How does this relate to Grace Brown’s story?
2. What event takes place surrounding Weaver Smith’s character in Chapter 22?
3. How does Mattie’s visit to Minnie affect her perceptions of family and marriage in Chapter 23?
4. What does Mattie discover through Grace Brown’s letters in Chapter 19? What are her thoughts on this discovery?
5. How are the themes of duty and responsibility illustrated in Chapters 23-26?
6. What discovery does Mattie make while reading the works of Emily Dickinson in Chapter 23?
7. How is the character of Henry described in Chapter 21? What leads to Henry’s demotion?
8. How is the theme of appearances versus reality manifested in A Northern Light?
9. What leads Mattie to leave the Glenmore Hotel and go home for a week in Chapter 25?
10. How does the apprehension of the three trappers affect Weaver Smith in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters of Emmie Hubbard and the Hubbard children in the novel. What relationship does Mattie have with the Hubbards? What is Emmie Hubbard’s greatest obstacle in the story? How is this obstacle eventually overcome?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of identity in the novel. In what ways does Mattie struggle to define her identity in the story? How do Weaver and Minnie relate to the theme of identity? What symbolism represents this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mattie’s relationship with Miss Wilcox and Miss Wilcox’s response when Mattie informs her of her plans to marry Royal Loomis. Why do you think Miss Wilcox is disappointed? How does Mattie’s situation reflect on her own?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)