|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie mail to Royal Loomis at the end of the novel?
2. Weaver is beaten up by three men who are what in Chapter 22?
3. Mattie gets her father’s permission to go to work at the Glenmore Hotel in order to buy what?
4. How does Miss Wilcox appear in response to Mattie’s decision about her future in Chapter 28?
5. When she visits Miss Wilcox in Chapter 28, Mattie tells her she’s decided to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mattie’s visit to Minnie affect her perceptions of family and marriage in Chapter 23?
2. What does Mattie learn about Royal Loomis’s involvement in the foreclosure of Emmie Hubbard’s home in Chapter 29?
3. How is the theme of appearances versus reality manifested in A Northern Light?
4. How are the themes of duty and responsibility illustrated in Chapters 23-26?
5. How does the relationship between Mattie and Royal Loomis progress in Chapter 25?
6. What event leads to Mattie’s employment at the Glenmore Hotel? How?
7. What information does Martha Miller present to Mattie regarding her engagement to Royal Loomis in Chapter 29?
8. What work has Mattie begun doing for Miss Wilcox in Chapter 17? What does she discover when she arrives?
9. What does Mattie discover at the home of Emmie Hubbard in Chapter 18?
10. How does the apprehension of the three trappers affect Weaver Smith in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters of Emmie Hubbard and the Hubbard children in the novel. What relationship does Mattie have with the Hubbards? What is Emmie Hubbard’s greatest obstacle in the story? How is this obstacle eventually overcome?
Essay Topic 2
Nonfictional and Fictional Elements
a. Discuss the nonfictional elements presented in A Northern Light. How accurate is the author’s depictions of these events? What sources did the author use in writing the novel?
b. How does the author effectively integrate the nonfictional elements of the novel with the fictional elements? Are you drawn to Mattie’s story more or to the story of Grace Brown? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mattie’s relationship with Miss Wilcox and Miss Wilcox’s response when Mattie informs her of her plans to marry Royal Loomis. Why do you think Miss Wilcox is disappointed? How does Mattie’s situation reflect on her own?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)