|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie sends money to her father to pay for what in the end of the novel?
2. When Grace Brown was historically murdered, she was supposedly knocked unconscious with what object?
3. What is the name of Minnie’s husband in the novel?
4. What does Mattie mail to Royal Loomis at the end of the novel?
5. When she visits Miss Wilcox in Chapter 28, Mattie tells her she’s decided not to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Henry described in Chapter 21? What leads to Henry’s demotion?
2. What event takes place surrounding Weaver Smith’s character in Chapter 22?
3. How does Mattie’s relationship with Royal Loomis progress in Chapter 18? How does this relate to Grace Brown’s story?
4. What does Mattie learn about Royal Loomis’s involvement in the foreclosure of Emmie Hubbard’s home in Chapter 29?
5. How is the theme of appearances versus reality manifested in A Northern Light?
6. What work has Mattie begun doing for Miss Wilcox in Chapter 17? What does she discover when she arrives?
7. How does the apprehension of the three trappers affect Weaver Smith in Chapter 24?
8. What news does Pa bring to Mattie regarding Weaver Smith’s family in Chapter 32?
9. How does Mattie’s visit to Minnie affect her perceptions of family and marriage in Chapter 23?
10. What are Mattie’s principle concerns about her relationship with Royal in Chapter 18? What does Tommy Hubbard relate to Mattie in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Mattie’s ambitions as a writer. Who are Mattie’s favorite authors? What does she want to write novels about? How realistic are her ambitions as a young woman during this time period?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of social oppression in the novel as seen through the characters of Minnie, Weaver, and Mattie. In what ways are each of these characters limited in their power due to societal expectations of their race, gender, economic situation, or other uncontrollable factors?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Uncle Fifty in the novel. Where does Uncle Fifty live? How is his lifestyle different than that of his brother, Mattie’s father? What does Mattie think of her uncle?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)