|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age was Minnie Compeau when she left school?
2. Who is the hotel manager that Grace informs about Chester Gillette’s identity in the novel?
3. What is the real name of the character called “Cook” in the novel?
4. Pa tells Mattie in Chapter 12 that if she leaves the family to go to college, then he will do what?
5. Mattie has heard that the works of Emily Baxter are what before she reads them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Uncle Fifty’s character described when he arrives in Chapter 11?
2. What clue does Mattie discover in Grace Brown’s letters in Chapter 13? What does she do with this information?
3. Why has Uncle Fifty left in Chapter 12? How does his departure affect Mattie?
4. How is the character of Royal Loomis described in the novel? How is his relationship with Mattie characterized?
5. How is Mattie’s father described in the novel? What are his principle concerns in the beginning of the story?
6. How is the character of Weaver Smith described when he is introduced in Chapter 2?
7. What purchase does Mattie impulsively make in Chapter 6? What are her thoughts on this action?
8. How is the narrative of A Northern Light structured? What are the two timelines that occur in the story?
9. What does Mattie realize while out boating with Royal Loomis in Chapter 15? How does she feel about the realization?
10. What conflicts regarding the expected roles of women are introduced in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Royal Loomis in the novel. What is Grace’s relationship with Royal? How long have they had this relationship? How does the relationship evolve in the course of the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the theme of duty and obligation as seen in A Northern Light. How are Mattie’s duties to her family at odds with her desires to become a writer? When in your experience have you had to choose between duty and desire? What do you think Mattie should choose? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Mattie’s ambitions as a writer. Who are Mattie’s favorite authors? What does she want to write novels about? How realistic are her ambitions as a young woman during this time period?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)