|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie has heard that the works of Emily Baxter are what before she reads them?
2. What did Mattie’s mother die from in the novel?
3. In Chapter 10, Mattie draws parallels between her promise to burn Grace Brown's letters and the promise she made to her dying mother to do what?
4. On what date does the narrator begin the story while describing standing on the porch of the Glenmore?
5. What is the last name of Mattie’s Aunt Josie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parallels does Mattie make between her situation and that of Grace Brown in Chapter 10?
2. How is Mattie’s family characterized in Chapter 1? What central tensions in the family are introduced in this chapter?
3. How is the character of Royal Loomis described in the novel? How is his relationship with Mattie characterized?
4. What purchase does Mattie impulsively make in Chapter 6? What are her thoughts on this action?
5. What conflicts regarding the expected roles of women are introduced in Chapter 1?
6. How is the character of Grace Brown depicted in the novel? What is the historical truth of this character?
7. Where does Mattie shop for books and other items in Chapter 6? What does she find here?
8. How is the character of Lawton Gokey described in the novel? How have Lawton’s actions influenced Mattie’s situation?
9. How is the narrative of A Northern Light structured? What are the two timelines that occur in the story?
10. How does Mattie feel about her involvement in the crisis that occurs in the opening of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the language style of the novel. How would you characterize the style of the dialogue of the characters? Does the author use specific idioms related to the setting of the narrative? What can you discern of the novel’s characters based on their style of speaking?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters and setting of the Glenmore Hotel. Who oversees the employees? How many people work at the hotel? How many guest rooms are at the establishment?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Mattie Gokey’s relationship to her family members. How many siblings does Mattie have? When did Mattie’s mother die and how did her death affect Mattie? What is Mattie’s relationship to her father like?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)