|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mattie have nightmares about in Chapter 30?
(a) Grace Brown.
(b) Beth Gokey.
(c) Lawton Gokey.
(d) Mr. Eckler.
2. What kind of dog is it that Mattie is paid to feed and walk at the Glenmore?
(b) German Shepherd.
(c) Great Dane.
(d) Scottish Terrier.
3. The servant girls at the Glenmore trick Mr. Maxwell into falling into what in Chapter 31?
(a) The river.
(b) A pile of hay.
(c) Dog excrement.
(d) The lake.
4. When Weaver hears of Mattie’s plans for the future in Chapter 28, he tells her she may as well do what?
(a) Go to Columbia.
(b) Live in a convent.
(c) Marry a horse.
(d) Move to Paris.
5. Where did Emily Dickinson spend her life?
(a) Caspar, Wyoming.
(b) Amherst, Massachusetts.
(c) New York, New York.
(d) San Francisco, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mattie accept from Royal Loomis in Chapter 25?
2. What is the name of the young woman who is engaged to Royal Loomis’s older brother?
3. How many of the family cows die from infection while Mattie is home in Chapter 25?
4. What is Henry’s original position at the Glenmore Hotel?
5. What is the name of Miss Wilcox’s estranged husband who appears in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Pa bring to Mattie regarding Weaver Smith’s family in Chapter 32?
2. What work has Mattie begun doing for Miss Wilcox in Chapter 17? What does she discover when she arrives?
3. What information does Martha Miller present to Mattie regarding her engagement to Royal Loomis in Chapter 29?
4. How does the apprehension of the three trappers affect Weaver Smith in Chapter 24?
5. How is Mattie trained at the Glenmore Hotel? Who does she work for?
6. What does Mattie discover through Grace Brown’s letters in Chapter 19? What are her thoughts on this discovery?
7. How do the events in Chapters 20-22 affect Mattie’s perception of the world around her?
8. Where is Miss Wilcox planning to depart for in Chapter 27? How does Mattie visit her teacher?
9. How are the themes of duty and responsibility illustrated in Chapters 23-26?
10. How do Mattie and her coworkers elicit revenge on Mr. Maxwell in Chapter 31?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)