|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Emmie Hubbard’s eldest son tells Mattie that his mother is upset after hearing word that they have set the date for what in Chapter 18?
(a) His sister's wedding.
(b) The auction of her home.
(c) His father's funeral.
(d) His mother's wedding.
2. When Mattie discovers Emmie Hubbard engaged in sexual activity with a man in Chapter 18, Mattie surmises that how many of Mrs. Hubbard’s children are illegitimate?
3. The picnic Mattie attends in Chapter 29 is in celebration of what?
(a) Easter Sunday.
(b) Autumn Harvest.
(c) Independence Day.
4. Excerpts from what historical documents are included in A Northern Light?
(a) Chester Gillette’s murder transcripts.
(b) Grace Brown’s letters.
(c) The Declaration of Independence.
(d) Chester Gillette's letters.
5. How many of the family cows die from infection while Mattie is home in Chapter 25?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Weaver Smith hope to be one day?
2. The two time frames that alternate in each chapter of the novel are approximately how far apart?
3. What happens to the men that beat up Weaver in Chapter 25?
4. On whose desk does Mattie leave Grace Brown’s letters in the end of the novel?
5. When did Emily Dickinson die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Mr. Maxwell introduced in Chapter 20? What are Mattie’s impressions of this character?
2. What decision does Mattie relate to Miss Wilcox when she visits her in Chapter 28? How does Miss Wilcox respond?
3. How is the character of Henry described in Chapter 21? What leads to Henry’s demotion?
4. How does Mattie begin to equate Weaver Smith’s situation to that of Grace Brown in Chapter 33?
5. What information does Martha Miller present to Mattie regarding her engagement to Royal Loomis in Chapter 29?
6. How does Mattie’s visit to Minnie affect her perceptions of family and marriage in Chapter 23?
7. What does Mattie learn about Royal Loomis’s involvement in the foreclosure of Emmie Hubbard’s home in Chapter 29?
8. What event leads to Mattie’s employment at the Glenmore Hotel? How?
9. What event takes place surrounding Weaver Smith’s character in Chapter 22?
10. What are Mattie’s principle concerns about her relationship with Royal in Chapter 18? What does Tommy Hubbard relate to Mattie in this chapter?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)