|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The book by Emily Baxter that Mattie receives in the mail from Miss Wilcox is a book of what?
(b) Short stories.
2. What is the name of Minnie’s husband in the novel?
(a) Royal Compeau.
(b) Eric Compeau.
(c) Jim Compeau.
(d) Richard Compeau.
3. How does Miss Wilcox appear in response to Mattie’s decision about her future in Chapter 28?
4. What does Mattie give Weaver money for at the end of the novel?
(a) Travel to Maryland.
(b) Travel to Mississippi.
(c) Travel to New York.
(d) Travel to Boston.
5. After Henry leaves out milk and causes it to explode, it comes to light that he was never really what?
(a) A chef in a fine European restaurant.
(b) A restaurant owner in Egypt.
(c) A businessman on Wall Street.
(d) An heir to Parisian royalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Mattie internal conflict regarding the letters of Grace Brown in the novel?
2. When Mattie discovers Emmie Hubbard engaged in sexual activity with a man in Chapter 18, Mattie surmises that how many of Mrs. Hubbard’s children are illegitimate?
3. On whose desk does Mattie leave Grace Brown’s letters in the end of the novel?
4. What does Weaver decide to do after his mother’s been robbed in Chapter 32?
5. While reading Emily Dickinson in the beginning of Chapter 23, Mattie realizes that all the authors she admires are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Henry described in Chapter 21? What leads to Henry’s demotion?
2. What leads Mattie to leave the Glenmore Hotel and go home for a week in Chapter 25?
3. What news does Pa bring to Mattie regarding Weaver Smith’s family in Chapter 32?
4. What information does Martha Miller present to Mattie regarding her engagement to Royal Loomis in Chapter 29?
5. How does Mattie’s visit to Minnie affect her perceptions of family and marriage in Chapter 23?
6. How is the character of Mr. Maxwell introduced in Chapter 20? What are Mattie’s impressions of this character?
7. What does Mattie discover at the home of Emmie Hubbard in Chapter 18?
8. What are Mattie’s principle concerns about her relationship with Royal in Chapter 18? What does Tommy Hubbard relate to Mattie in this chapter?
9. Where is Miss Wilcox planning to depart for in Chapter 27? How does Mattie visit her teacher?
10. How do the events in Chapters 20-22 affect Mattie’s perception of the world around her?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)