|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The servant girls at the Glenmore trick Mr. Maxwell into falling into what in Chapter 31?
(a) A pile of hay.
(b) The lake.
(c) The river.
(d) Dog excrement.
2. Where did Emily Dickinson spend her life?
(a) New York, New York.
(b) Amherst, Massachusetts.
(c) Caspar, Wyoming.
(d) San Francisco, California.
3. Mattie sends money to Aleeta Smith to cover what expenses at the end of the novel?
(a) Emmie Hubbard’s back-taxes.
(b) Her daughter’s wedding.
(c) A new car.
(d) Weaver's college tuition.
4. How many of the family cows die from infection while Mattie is home in Chapter 25?
5. What has Miss Wilcox’s estranged husband appeared in order to do in Chapter 17?
(a) Convince his wife to give him custody of their children.
(b) Convince his wife to return to him.
(c) Convince his wife to become a writer.
(d) Convince his wife to grant him a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the men that beat up Weaver in Chapter 25?
2. How much money does Miss Wilcox send to Mattie with the book in Chapter 27?
3. The book by Emily Baxter that Mattie receives in the mail from Miss Wilcox is a book of what?
4. Who is responsible for the robbing of Aleeta Smith?
5. Less than how many of Emily Dickinson’s poems were published in her lifetime?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the themes of duty and responsibility illustrated in Chapters 23-26?
2. What does Mattie learn about Royal Loomis’s involvement in the foreclosure of Emmie Hubbard’s home in Chapter 29?
3. How does Mattie begin to equate Weaver Smith’s situation to that of Grace Brown in Chapter 33?
4. How is Mattie trained at the Glenmore Hotel? Who does she work for?
5. How does the relationship between Mattie and Royal Loomis progress in Chapter 25?
6. How do the events in Chapters 20-22 affect Mattie’s perception of the world around her?
7. What does Mattie discover through Grace Brown’s letters in Chapter 19? What are her thoughts on this discovery?
8. How does Mattie’s relationship with Royal Loomis progress in Chapter 18? How does this relate to Grace Brown’s story?
9. How is the character of Mr. Maxwell introduced in Chapter 20? What are Mattie’s impressions of this character?
10. What information does Martha Miller present to Mattie regarding her engagement to Royal Loomis in Chapter 29?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)