|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The letter that Aunt Josie intercepts from the postmistress in Chapter 14 informs the addressee that she has failed to do what?
(a) Sign her marriage certificate.
(b) Pay back-taxes.
(c) Fill out voter registration.
(d) Leave the Will.
2. Reading Grace Brown’s letters, Mattie discovers that Grace was what in Chapter 16?
(a) An orphan.
(b) Currently married.
3. Weaver Smith is the first what in his family?
(a) Man to marry in a church.
(b) Heir to royalty.
(d) Freeborn man.
4. Where does Mattie go with Royal when she realizes they are officially dating in Chapter 15?
(b) Auto racing.
(c) Horseback riding.
5. The House of Mirth is a novel written in what style?
(a) Science fiction.
(b) Factional novel.
(c) Absurdist fiction.
(d) Novel of manners.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what narrative perspective is A Northern Light related?
2. Uncle Fifty shows up in Chapter 11 with a bundle of money from where?
3. What exams do Mattie and Weaver take in Chapter 11?
4. How many children does Emmie Hubbard have?
5. Who invites Mattie to her home and gives her books in Chapters 15-16?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character of Emmie Hubbard described? What information does the reader learn of Emmie’s situation in Chapter 14?
2. How is the narrative of A Northern Light structured? What are the two timelines that occur in the story?
3. How does Mattie feel about her involvement in the crisis that occurs in the opening of the novel?
4. What promise does Uncle Fifty make to Mattie after he arrives? What gifts does he give to the Gokey children?
5. Where does Mattie shop for books and other items in Chapter 6? What does she find here?
6. How is Mattie’s family characterized in Chapter 1? What central tensions in the family are introduced in this chapter?
7. How is the character of Grace Brown depicted in the novel? What is the historical truth of this character?
8. What conflicts regarding the expected roles of women are introduced in Chapter 1?
9. How is the character of Weaver Smith described when he is introduced in Chapter 2?
10. What exchange takes place between Pa and Miss Wilcox in Chapter 12? What repercussions does this have for Mattie?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)