|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What exams do Mattie and Weaver take in Chapter 11?
(a) Their entrance exams for college.
(b) Their entrance exams for medical school.
(c) Their bar exams.
(d) Their exit exams for high school.
2. What work does Mattie do for Aunt Josie?
(a) Yard work.
(b) Book organizing.
3. In what neighborhood is Barnard College located?
(a) The Upper East Side.
(b) Brooklyn Heights.
(d) Morningside Heights.
4. Who does Pa blame for Mattie’s ambition to attend college?
(a) Royal Loomis.
(b) Miss Wilcox.
(c) Frank Loomis.
(d) Miss Parrish.
5. Mattie has earned the money that she spends at the grocery store/lending library in Eagle Bay by picking what plants?
(c) Fiddlehead ferns.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Barnard College founded?
2. Chester Gillette attended preparatory school at what college?
3. Where does Weaver Smith hope to move to attend college?
4. Weaver Smith struggles with his identity in the novel when he is misinterpreted as what at the rail station?
5. Who is the suitor that is pursuing Mattie in the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Uncle Fifty left in Chapter 12? How does his departure affect Mattie?
2. How is the theme of identity explored through the characters of Mattie, Weaver, and Minnie in Chapter 9?
3. How is the character of Lawton Gokey described in the novel? How have Lawton’s actions influenced Mattie’s situation?
4. What is Mattie’s central objective regarding her future in the beginning of A Northern Light? How is this objective tied to the chapter introductions in the book?
5. What promise does Uncle Fifty make to Mattie after he arrives? What gifts does he give to the Gokey children?
6. What is Aunt Josie’s reply when Mattie asks her for financial assistance in Chapter 8?
7. How does Mattie feel about her involvement in the crisis that occurs in the opening of the novel?
8. What book does Miss Wilcox give to Mattie in Chapter 15? What are Mattie’s impressions of the book?
9. What parallels does Mattie make between her situation and that of Grace Brown in Chapter 10?
10. How is the character of Weaver Smith described when he is introduced in Chapter 2?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)