|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What movement is the writer Emily Baxter associated with in the novel?
2. Weaver Smith struggles with his identity in the novel when he is misinterpreted as what at the rail station?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A porter.
(c) A lawyer.
(d) An engineer.
3. How is Uncle Fifty related to Mattie?
(a) Uncle Fifty is her father’s older brother.
(b) Uncle Fifty is her mother’s uncle.
(c) Uncle Fifty is her mother’s younger brother.
(d) Uncle Fifty is her father’s younger brother.
4. Who is the suitor that is pursuing Mattie in the beginning of the novel?
(a) Frank Loomis.
(b) Weaver Smith.
(c) Royal Loomis.
(d) Tommy Hubbard.
5. Grace Brown’s last letter to Chester Gillette was dated when?
(a) July 1, 1905.
(b) July 5, 1906.
(c) July 11, 1906.
(d) June 16, 1905.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mattie’s teacher that has taught her “knowledge carries a damned high price”?
2. What teacher of Mattie’s shows enthusiasm for her acceptance to Barnard College?
3. What age was Minnie Compeau when she left school?
4. On what date did the historical figure of Grace Brown die?
5. How many children does Emmie Hubbard have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aunt Josie discover about Emmie Hubbard in Chapter 14? How does she make this discovery?
2. How is the character of Aunt Josie depicted in the novel? What are Aunt Josie’s principle concerns?
3. What is an example from the novel of Mattie’s tendency for romantic idealization?
4. How is Uncle Fifty’s character described when he arrives in Chapter 11?
5. How is Mattie’s family characterized in Chapter 1? What central tensions in the family are introduced in this chapter?
6. What exchange takes place between Pa and Miss Wilcox in Chapter 12? What repercussions does this have for Mattie?
7. How does Mattie feel about her involvement in the crisis that occurs in the opening of the novel?
8. How is Minnie Compeau’s character described in Chapter 2?
9. What purchase does Mattie impulsively make in Chapter 6? What are her thoughts on this action?
10. How is the character of Lawton Gokey described in the novel? How have Lawton’s actions influenced Mattie’s situation?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)