|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mattie visits her friend Minnie after the twins are born, how is Minnie’s mental state characterized?
2. Weaver is beaten up by three men when he stands up for himself after being called what?
(a) A sexist slur.
(b) A racial slur.
(c) A leper.
(d) A coward.
3. What do Mattie and Weaver borrow in order to visit Miss Wilcox before she leaves?
(a) A horse.
(b) A sled.
(c) A car.
(d) A school bus.
4. Where is Weaver going to attend college at the end of the novel?
(a) Columbia University.
(b) Rutgers University.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) Harvard University.
5. What is the name of the mule that dies in Chapter 20?
6. Why did Royal supposedly inform against Emmie Hubbard’s back-taxes in Chapter 29?
(a) He wants to have an affair with Emmie.
(b) He wants to marry Emmie’s daughter.
(c) He wants Emmie to get divorced.
(d) He wants Emmie’s property.
7. Who does Mattie tell about Miss Wilcox’s secret pseudonym in Chapters 17-19?
(a) No one.
(b) Royal Loomis.
(c) Belinda Becker.
(d) Mrs. Hennessey.
8. The picnic Mattie attends in Chapter 29 is in celebration of what?
(a) Independence Day.
(c) Easter Sunday.
(d) Autumn Harvest.
9. Weaver Smith’s ancestors were slaves where?
10. Emily Dickinson was known for her penchant for what colored clothing?
11. The book by Emily Baxter that Mattie receives in the mail from Miss Wilcox is a book of what?
(b) Short stories.
12. When she visits Miss Wilcox in Chapter 28, Mattie tells her she’s decided not to do what?
(a) Marry Royal Loomis.
(b) Accept her father’s business.
(c) Attend college.
(d) Apply for student loans.
13. For what reason does Mattie go to Emmie Hubbard’s home in Chapter 18?
(a) To give money to her.
(b) To borrow money from her.
(c) To loan her a novel.
(d) To console her.
14. Who invites Aleeta Smith to stay with her after she’s been robbed?
(a) Abby Gokey.
(b) Mrs. Hennessey.
(c) Martha Miller.
(d) Emmie Hubbard.
15. What is the name of the young woman who is engaged to Royal Loomis’s older brother?
(a) Emily Baxter.
(b) Belinda Becker.
(c) Abby Gokey.
(d) Martha Miller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Emily Baxter’s new book that Mattie received in the mail in Chapter 27?
2. What does Mattie accept from Royal Loomis in Chapter 25?
3. Who is responsible for the robbing of Aleeta Smith?
4. What is the name of Minnie’s husband in the novel?
5. Why has Miss Baxter lost her job at the school in Chapter 27?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)