|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Weaver hears of Mattie’s plans for the future in Chapter 28, he tells her she may as well do what?
(a) Live in a convent.
(b) Marry a horse.
(c) Go to Columbia.
(d) Move to Paris.
2. What is the name of the head chef at the Glenmore Hotel?
(a) Mrs. Ellis.
(b) Mrs. Hubbard.
(c) Mrs. Hennessey.
(d) Mr. Maxwell.
3. Who does Mattie learn Royal informed of Emmie Hubbard’s back-taxes in Chapter 29?
(a) Arn Satterlee.
(b) Belinda Becker.
(c) Lawton Gokey.
(d) Uncle Fifty.
4. Who is responsible for the robbing of Aleeta Smith?
(a) Three trappers.
(b) Chester Cleveland.
(c) Weaver Smith.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard.
5. Where is Mattie departing for at the end of the novel?
(a) Hartford, Connecticut.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) New York, New York.
6. Why did Royal supposedly inform against Emmie Hubbard’s back-taxes in Chapter 29?
(a) He wants Emmie to get divorced.
(b) He wants to marry Emmie’s daughter.
(c) He wants Emmie’s property.
(d) He wants to have an affair with Emmie.
7. When she visits Miss Wilcox in Chapter 28, Mattie tells her she’s decided to do what?
(a) Leave for college immediately.
(b) Marry Royal Loomis.
(c) Start college in one year.
(d) Enroll in Harvard University.
8. Who does Mattie tell about Miss Wilcox’s secret pseudonym in Chapters 17-19?
(a) No one.
(b) Mrs. Hennessey.
(c) Royal Loomis.
(d) Belinda Becker.
9. Where does Henry leave some jars of milk, causing them to explode, in the narrative?
(a) On the stove.
(b) On the porch.
(c) On the floor.
(d) In the entranceway.
10. Who is Royal’s ex-girlfriend that Mattie sees him arguing with at the picnic in Chapter 29?
(a) Belinda Becker.
(b) Grace Brown.
(c) Martha Miller.
(d) Beth Gokey.
11. Emmie Hubbard’s eldest son tells Mattie that his mother is upset after hearing word that they have set the date for what in Chapter 18?
(a) His mother's wedding.
(b) The auction of her home.
(c) His father's funeral.
(d) His sister's wedding.
12. While reading the works of Emily Dickinson in Chapter 23, Mattie considers whether what is incompatible with being a writer?
(b) Leaving the house.
13. Mattie begins working for Miss Wilcox on what days in Chapter 17?
14. Miss Wilcox admits to Mattie in Chapter 17 that her pseudonym is what?
(a) Emily Baxter.
(b) Aleeta Smith.
(c) Martha Miller.
(d) Minnie Compeau.
15. What does Weaver Smith hope to be one day?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A train engineer.
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Royal’s ex-girlfriend confronts Mattie with her belief that Royal wants to marry Mattie for what reason in Chapter 29?
2. Mattie gets her father’s permission to go to work at the Glenmore Hotel in order to buy what?
3. What is the name of Minnie’s husband in the novel?
4. What does Mattie do in her work for Miss Wilcox in Chapter 17?
5. Where does Miss Wilcox say she intends to flee to in her letter in Chapter 27?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)