|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The servant girls at the Glenmore trick Mr. Maxwell into falling into what in Chapter 31?
(a) Dog excrement.
(b) The lake.
(c) A pile of hay.
(d) The river.
2. Where does Mr. Maxwell always sit in the dining room at the Glenmore?
(a) Table 1.
(b) Table 6.
(c) Table 10.
(d) Table 3.
3. While reading Emily Dickinson in the beginning of Chapter 23, Mattie realizes that all the authors she admires are what?
4. Royal’s ex-girlfriend confronts Mattie with her belief that Royal wants to marry Mattie for what reason in Chapter 29?
(a) In order to obtain Mattie's future.
(b) In order to prevent Mattie from learning.
(c) In order to obtain her land.
(d) Because Mattie is pregnant.
5. What is the name of the mule that dies in Chapter 20?
6. When she visits Miss Wilcox in Chapter 28, Mattie tells her she’s decided not to do what?
(a) Apply for student loans.
(b) Marry Royal Loomis.
(c) Attend college.
(d) Accept her father’s business.
7. What is the name of Miss Wilcox’s estranged husband who appears in Chapter 17?
8. Royal Loomis and who come to Mattie’s aid in tending her family’s farm in Chapter 25?
(a) Minnie Compeau.
(b) Iva Loomis.
(c) Emmie Hubbard.
(d) Mr. Maxwell.
9. What is the name of Minnie’s husband in the novel?
(a) Jim Compeau.
(b) Royal Compeau.
(c) Eric Compeau.
(d) Richard Compeau.
10. Mattie begins working for Miss Wilcox on what days in Chapter 17?
11. For what reason does Mattie go to Emmie Hubbard’s home in Chapter 18?
(a) To borrow money from her.
(b) To give money to her.
(c) To loan her a novel.
(d) To console her.
12. Weaver Smith’s ancestors were slaves where?
13. Mattie arrives at Emmie Hubbard’s home to discover Emmie engaged in sexual relations with whom in Chapter 18?
(a) Frank Loomis.
(b) Lawton Gokey.
(c) Uncle Fifty.
(d) Royal Loomis.
14. What is the name of the young woman who is engaged to Royal Loomis’s older brother?
(a) Belinda Becker.
(b) Emily Baxter.
(c) Abby Gokey.
(d) Martha Miller.
15. Henry, who works at the Glenmore, is originally from where?
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie sends money to her father to pay for what in the end of the novel?
2. Excerpts from what historical documents are included in A Northern Light?
3. What happens to the men that beat up Weaver in Chapter 25?
4. What is the name of the dog that Mattie is paid to feed and walk at the Glenmore?
5. Reading Grace Brown’s letters in Chapter 19, Mattie realizes that Chester Gillette must have brought Grace to the Glenmore with the intention of doing what?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)