|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Pa tells Mattie in Chapter 12 that if she leaves the family to go to college, then he will do what?
(a) o longer welcome her into his home.
(b) See that she has the money to start her career.
(c) Give her the inheritance left by his aunt.
(d) See that she obtains a good dowry.
2. In what county does most of the novel take place?
(a) Marin County.
(b) Herkimer County.
(c) Siskiyou County.
(d) Clark County.
3. Where does is say Grace Brown lived on the register at the hotel?
(c) South Otselic.
(d) North Hartford.
4. Weaver Smith is the first what in his family?
(a) Heir to royalty.
(b) Man to marry in a church.
(c) Freeborn man.
5. The House of Mirth is a novel written in what style?
(a) Novel of manners.
(b) Science fiction.
(c) Factional novel.
(d) Absurdist fiction.
6. What is the name of Mattie’s older brother?
(a) Peter Gokey.
(b) Gerald Gokey.
(c) Lawton Gokey.
(d) Michael Gokey.
7. What exams do Mattie and Weaver take in Chapter 11?
(a) Their exit exams for high school.
(b) Their entrance exams for college.
(c) Their bar exams.
(d) Their entrance exams for medical school.
8. By what name does Mattie refer to Aunt Josie’s husband in the narrative?
(a) Uncle Jimmy.
(b) Uncle Vernon.
(c) Uncle Peter.
(d) Uncle Billy.
9. Where does Mattie dream of going to college in the beginning of the novel?
(a) St. Mary's College.
(b) Barnard College.
(c) Douglass College.
(d) Sarah Lawrence College.
10. When was Barnard College founded?
11. How many children does Emmie Hubbard have?
12. How much money does Uncle Fifty promise to give Mattie for her trip to attend college?
13. Mattie has earned the money that she spends at the grocery store/lending library in Eagle Bay by picking what plants?
(a) Fiddlehead ferns.
14. Who carries in the body of Grace Brown in the beginning of the novel?
(a) Mr. Hubbard.
(b) Mr. Guiness.
(c) Mr. Eckler.
(d) Mr. Crabb.
15. What is the name of Mattie’s fourteen-year-old sister?
(a) Beth Gokey.
(b) Ellen Gokey.
(c) Abby Gokey.
(d) Louisa Gokey.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie needs money for what expenses in order to attend college in the novel?
2. Who is the hotel manager that Grace informs about Chester Gillette’s identity in the novel?
3. What work does Mattie do for Aunt Josie?
4. Chester Gillette’s parents renounced material wealth to join what organization?
5. Chester Gillette attended preparatory school at what college?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)