|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Uncle Fifty give to Mattie during his visit?
(a) A composition book.
(b) A book.
(c) A silk kimono.
(d) A fountain pen.
2. Mattie has earned the money that she spends at the grocery store/lending library in Eagle Bay by picking what plants?
(c) Fiddlehead ferns.
3. Who does the narrator describe as sitting on “the porch until the end of time, rapping her cane on the railing for more lemonade” in the beginning of the novel?
(a) Mr. Maxwell.
(b) Mr. Eckler.
(c) Mrs. Ellis.
(d) Mrs. Hennessey.
4. Who is the hotel manager that Grace informs about Chester Gillette’s identity in the novel?
(a) Mr. Thompson.
(b) Mr. Morrison.
(c) Mr. Maxwell.
(d) Mr. Eckler.
5. In what county does most of the novel take place?
(a) Herkimer County.
(b) Siskiyou County.
(c) Clark County.
(d) Marin County.
6. Where did Uncle Fifty show up drunk and passed out when he arrived at Mattie’s family home?
(a) In a horse trough.
(b) On the front porch.
(c) In a pile of hay.
(d) In a manure pile.
7. When was Barnard College founded?
8. Where does Weaver Smith hope to move to attend college?
(a) Chicago, Illinois.
(b) Hartford, Connecticut.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) New York, New York.
9. How many acres of property does Royal Loomis’s father own adjacent to the Gokey farm?
10. What movement is the writer Emily Baxter associated with in the novel?
11. Pa tells Mattie in Chapter 12 that if she leaves the family to go to college, then he will do what?
(a) o longer welcome her into his home.
(b) See that she has the money to start her career.
(c) Give her the inheritance left by his aunt.
(d) See that she obtains a good dowry.
12. The letter that Aunt Josie intercepts from the postmistress in Chapter 14 informs the addressee that she has failed to do what?
(a) Sign her marriage certificate.
(b) Pay back-taxes.
(c) Leave the Will.
(d) Fill out voter registration.
13. Weaver Smith is the first what in his family?
(a) Heir to royalty.
(c) Freeborn man.
(d) Man to marry in a church.
14. What is the last name of Mattie’s Aunt Josie?
15. From what narrative perspective is A Northern Light related?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person.
(c) First person.
(d) Fourth person.
Short Answer Questions
1. The historical account of Chester Gillette is that he met Grace Brown at his uncle’s skirt factory located where?
2. Who is the tax collector that Aunt Josie intercepts a letter from in Chapter 14?
3. In what neighborhood is Barnard College located?
4. How many children does Emmie Hubbard have?
5. Reading Grace Brown’s letters, Mattie discovers that Grace was what in Chapter 16?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)