|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Grace Brown given Mattie to burn in A Northern Light?
(a) The deed to her parents’ house.
(b) A bundle of letters.
(c) A bank note.
(d) Her favorite book.
2. When was the historical figure, Grace Brown, born?
(a) May 12, 1884.
(b) July 14, 1905.
(c) June 16, 1899.
(d) March 20, 1886.
3. Where does Weaver Smith hope to move to attend college?
(a) Chicago, Illinois.
(b) Hartford, Connecticut.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) New York, New York.
4. What does Mattie impulsively spend most of her money on at the grocery store/lending library in Eagle Bay?
(a) A romantic novel.
(b) An elegant ink pen.
(c) A composition book.
(d) A rose brooch.
5. Who is Mattie’s teacher that has taught her “knowledge carries a damned high price”?
(a) Miss Parrish.
(b) Miss Wilcox.
(c) Miss Smith.
(d) Miss Anderson.
6. Why is the farm not producing as well as it once was, according to the narrator in Chapter 7?
(a) The flooding has killed the trees.
(b) There aren’t enough hands to work it.
(c) The drought has caused the plants to die.
(d) The bank foreclosed on half the land.
7. By what name does Uncle Fifty go by as a French river man?
(a) Jean Georges Vongerichen.
(b) Francois Pierre Gauthier.
(c) Kouider Zouiche.
(d) Jean Pierre Napoleon.
8. On what date does the narrator begin the story while describing standing on the porch of the Glenmore?
(a) June 16, 1899.
(b) July 14, 1905.
(c) September 1, 1905.
(d) July 12, 1906.
9. From what narrative perspective is A Northern Light related?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person.
(c) First person.
(d) Fourth person.
10. The House of Mirth is a novel written in what style?
(a) Absurdist fiction.
(b) Factional novel.
(c) Novel of manners.
(d) Science fiction.
11. On what date did the historical figure of Grace Brown die?
(a) July 16, 1906.
(b) July 11, 1906.
(c) June 12, 1906.
(d) September 3, 1905.
12. Where does Mattie go with Royal when she realizes they are officially dating in Chapter 15?
(c) Auto racing.
(d) Horseback riding.
13. Who does Pa blame for Mattie’s ambition to attend college?
(a) Royal Loomis.
(b) Miss Parrish.
(c) Frank Loomis.
(d) Miss Wilcox.
14. Uncle Fifty shows up in Chapter 11 with a bundle of money from where?
(a) A coal mining expedition.
(b) A gold mining expedition.
(c) A poker game win.
(d) A lumberjacking expedition.
15. What gift does Uncle Fifty give to Mattie during his visit?
(a) A silk kimono.
(b) A composition book.
(c) A fountain pen.
(d) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mattie in the beginning of the novel?
2. The Glenmore Hotel is located by what body of water?
3. How long ago has Mattie’s mother died in the beginning of the narrative?
4. What is the name of the string of eight lakes that are featured in Mattie’s hometown in the novel?
5. Who announces that Uncle Fifty has skipped town?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)