|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the historical figure, Grace Brown, born?
(a) July 14, 1905.
(b) May 12, 1884.
(c) June 16, 1899.
(d) March 20, 1886.
2. When was Barnard College founded?
3. In what county does most of the novel take place?
(a) Marin County.
(b) Siskiyou County.
(c) Clark County.
(d) Herkimer County.
4. Who runs the floating grocery store/lending library in Eagle Bay?
(a) Weaver Smith.
(b) Mr. Anderson.
(c) Mr. Eckler.
(d) Mr. Maxwell.
5. Whose name does Mattie recall on the letters upstairs under her mattress in the opening of the novel?
(a) Chester Gillette’s.
(b) Frank Loomis's.
(c) Tommy Hubbard's.
(d) Michael Gokley’s.
6. Who does the narrator describe as sitting on “the porch until the end of time, rapping her cane on the railing for more lemonade” in the beginning of the novel?
(a) Mr. Maxwell.
(b) Mrs. Hennessey.
(c) Mrs. Ellis.
(d) Mr. Eckler.
7. What is the name of Mattie’s five-year-old sister?
(a) Abby Gokey.
(b) Ellen Gokey.
(c) Beth Gokey.
(d) Louisa Gokey.
8. The Glenmore Hotel is located by what body of water?
(a) Lake Michigan.
(b) Lake Ontario.
(c) Big Moose Lake.
(d) Lost Trout Lake.
9. What’s the name of the boat that is dragging the lake in the beginning of the novel?
(a) The Zilpha.
(b) The U.S.S. Constitution.
(c) The Machida.
(d) The Santa Maria.
10. Who wrote The House of Mirth?
(a) Edith Wharton.
(b) Charlotte Bronte.
(c) Emily Dickinson.
(d) Emily Bronte.
11. How old is Mattie in the beginning of the novel?
12. Grace Brown’s last letter to Chester Gillette was dated when?
(a) June 16, 1905.
(b) July 1, 1905.
(c) July 11, 1906.
(d) July 5, 1906.
13. Mattie’s Aunt Josie is married to what kind of businessman?
(a) A cattle rancher.
(b) A coal mine owner.
(c) A dairy farm owner.
(d) A sawmill owner.
14. Uncle Fifty shows up in Chapter 11 with a bundle of money from where?
(a) A lumberjacking expedition.
(b) A gold mining expedition.
(c) A poker game win.
(d) A coal mining expedition.
15. What has happened to Lawton Gokey in the novel?
(a) He’s been put away in prison.
(b) He was murdered in Atlanta.
(c) He’s left his family.
(d) He’s been hanged for murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mattie has heard that the works of Emily Baxter are what before she reads them?
2. What is the last name of Mattie’s Aunt Josie?
3. How much money does Uncle Fifty promise to give Mattie for her trip to attend college?
4. What is the only book Mattie’s Aunt Josie suggests she read?
5. How are Minnie’s twins described when they are born?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)