|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The historical account of Chester Gillette is that he met Grace Brown at his uncle’s skirt factory located where?
(a) Troy, New York.
(b) Wynantskill, New York.
(c) Loudonville, New York.
(d) Cortland, New York.
2. Where did Uncle Fifty show up drunk and passed out when he arrived at Mattie’s family home?
(a) In a manure pile.
(b) In a horse trough.
(c) On the front porch.
(d) In a pile of hay.
3. How does Royal Loomis respond when Mattie tells him about her desires to go to college?
(a) He doesn’t understand.
(b) He gives her money for travel.
(c) He urges her to go.
(d) He suggests a different college.
4. Who runs the floating grocery store/lending library in Eagle Bay?
(a) Mr. Anderson.
(b) Mr. Maxwell.
(c) Weaver Smith.
(d) Mr. Eckler.
5. Who wrote The House of Mirth?
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) Edith Wharton.
(c) Charlotte Bronte.
(d) Emily Bronte.
6. What has happened to Lawton Gokey in the novel?
(a) He’s been put away in prison.
(b) He’s left his family.
(c) He was murdered in Atlanta.
(d) He’s been hanged for murder.
7. When was The House of Mirth first published?
8. In what county does most of the novel take place?
(a) Clark County.
(b) Herkimer County.
(c) Marin County.
(d) Siskiyou County.
9. Uncle Fifty shows up in Chapter 11 with a bundle of money from where?
(a) A poker game win.
(b) A gold mining expedition.
(c) A coal mining expedition.
(d) A lumberjacking expedition.
10. In Chapter 10, Mattie draws parallels between her promise to burn Grace Brown's letters and the promise she made to her dying mother to do what?
(a) Write a best-selling novel.
(b) Help raise her sisters.
(c) Burn her father's will.
(d) Marry Royal Loomis.
11. How are Minnie’s twins described when they are born?
(a) Two fraternal boys.
(b) Identical boys.
(c) Identical girls.
(d) A boy and a girl.
12. Where was the historical figure of Chester Gillette born?
(c) New Jersey.
13. What is the name of Mattie’s older brother?
(a) Peter Gokey.
(b) Gerald Gokey.
(c) Michael Gokey.
(d) Lawton Gokey.
14. What’s the name of the boat that is dragging the lake in the beginning of the novel?
(a) The Santa Maria.
(b) The Machida.
(c) The Zilpha.
(d) The U.S.S. Constitution.
15. Chester Gillette attended preparatory school at what college?
(a) Oberlin College.
(b) Harvard College.
(c) Princeton College.
(d) Rutgers College.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Mattie’s five-year-old sister?
2. Where did Grace Brown’s parents live?
3. Chester Gillette’s parents renounced material wealth to join what organization?
4. How old is Louisa Gokey in the novel?
5. In what neighborhood is Barnard College located?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)