|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the owner of the bar that Fitzgerald frequented?
2. What does Walsh hate being called?
3. What does Dunning throw at Hemingway when he visits Dunning after his episode?
4. What is Zelda most jealous of in her life?
5. What is Fitzgerald's wife's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pascin ask Hemingway when they see each other at a cafe?
2. What causes the end of Hemingway's friendship with Stein?
3. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
4. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
5. What does James Joyce ask Hemingway after Walsh's death?
6. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
7. What does Hemingway love most about his friend, Ezra Pound?
8. How are things with Fitzgerald when he moves to the villa?
9. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
10. What is the hardest writing project Hemingway ever completed, and where does he do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and mortality were two integral themes in Hemingway's life. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this affect Hemingway's relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Alice was a person who was seen very little in this book, but whose presence made a big difference in Hemingway's life. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered Hemingway's life? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Hemingway and Hadley showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of their lives?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)