|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of books did Hemingway read when he first joined Shakespeare and Company?
2. Why does Hemingway try to be kind to Lewis even though he dislikes him?
3. Where does Fitzgerald meet Hemingway when they visit again in Paris?
4. Who lets Hemingway into the house when Stein is not home?
5. What does Ezra give Hemingway a jar of before he leaves town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
2. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
3. What is the Pilot Fish and what does he do?
4. Why does Shipman say Jean is already in trouble with the cafe he works at?
5. What surprises Hemingway about Fitzgerald's car?
6. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
7. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
8. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
9. What does Hemingway love most about his friend, Ezra Pound?
10. What is the hardest writing project Hemingway ever completed, and where does he do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was Hemingway's life altered because of these incidents?
Essay Topic 2
What did Hemingway learn through his jarring experience with Dunning, the poet addicted to opium?
Essay Topic 3
What was Hemingway's preferred writing process, and how did he come to create this process?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)