|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hemingway want to leave Stein's house before she leaves on her vacation?
2. What kind of establishment does Fitzgerald live in in Paris?
3. What does Fitzgerald say when he first meets Hemingway?
4. What does Ezra give Hemingway a jar of before he leaves town?
5. What does Hemingway call the cafes where the other writers frequent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pascin ask Hemingway when they see each other at a cafe?
2. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
3. What does Fitzgerald say he does after he writes his stories?
4. What causes the end of Hemingway's friendship with Stein?
5. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
6. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
7. How does Walsh die, and how does Hemingway try to help him at the end of his life?
8. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
9. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
10. What does Hemingway do after hearing the exchange between Stein and Toklas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What did Hemingway learn through his jarring experience with Dunning, the poet addicted to opium?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)