|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway feel about many of Stein's new friends?
2. What does Ezra give Hemingway a jar of before he leaves town?
3. What does Hemingway think when Walsh offers him a literary award?
4. Where does Dunning climb to after he returns from the asylum?
5. What does Hemingway call the cafes where the other writers frequent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James Joyce ask Hemingway after Walsh's death?
2. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
3. What is the Pilot Fish and what does he do?
4. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
5. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
6. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
7. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
8. How are things with Fitzgerald when he moves to the villa?
9. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
10. What is the hardest writing project Hemingway ever completed, and where does he do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is something that was very important to Hemingway in his life. Where are some places that friendship appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What did Hemingway learn through his jarring experience with Dunning, the poet addicted to opium?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Hemingway and Hadley showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of their lives?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)