|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hemingway have an affair?
2. How does a man die when Hemingway is watching in the mountains?
3. Why does Hemingway try to be kind to Lewis even though he dislikes him?
4. What kind of books did Hemingway read when he first joined Shakespeare and Company?
5. What does Hemingway call the cafes where the other writers frequent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does James Joyce ask Hemingway after Walsh's death?
2. What does Hemingway do after hearing the exchange between Stein and Toklas?
3. What does Pascin ask Hemingway when they see each other at a cafe?
4. What does Hemingway love most about his friend, Ezra Pound?
5. What causes the end of Hemingway's friendship with Stein?
6. What surprises Hemingway about Fitzgerald's car?
7. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
8. How does Walsh die, and how does Hemingway try to help him at the end of his life?
9. What is the Pilot Fish and what does he do?
10. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four people and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the people around them.
Essay Topic 2
Each of Hemingway's writer friends had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of these people, and how did their individuality affect Hemingway's life?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Hemingway and Hadley showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of their lives?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)