|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zelda have a fight with Fitzgerald at a party?
2. What bar does Fitzgerald go to after his talk with Hemingway?
3. What is Fitzgerald's big secret?
4. Where does Hemingway have an affair?
5. Why does Hemingway try to be kind to Lewis even though he dislikes him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
2. What does Hemingway say about Dostoyevsky's writing?
3. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
4. What does Hemingway love most about his friend, Ezra Pound?
5. How does Walsh die, and how does Hemingway try to help him at the end of his life?
6. What surprises Hemingway about Fitzgerald's car?
7. Why does Shipman say Jean is already in trouble with the cafe he works at?
8. How are things with Fitzgerald when he moves to the villa?
9. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
10. What does Fitzgerald say he does after he writes his stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is something that was very important to Hemingway in his life. Where are some places that friendship appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Hemingway and Hadley change throughout the course of this book, and how do these changes affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Bel Esprit, and why was Pound so invested in its creation? How did Pound's involvement in the Bel Esprit affect Hemingway's life, and his relationship with Ezra Pound?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)