|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stein call her companion?
2. What makes Hemingway constantly hungry when he is in the mountains?
3. What does Hemingway call his affair in the book?
4. What does Hemingway think when Walsh offers him a literary award?
5. Why does Zelda get excited when her husband drinks some wine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
2. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
3. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
4. What does Hemingway say about Dostoyevsky's writing?
5. What surprises Hemingway about Fitzgerald's car?
6. What does Hemingway do after hearing the exchange between Stein and Toklas?
7. What does James Joyce ask Hemingway after Walsh's death?
8. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
9. What does Hemingway love most about his friend, Ezra Pound?
10. How does Walsh die, and how does Hemingway try to help him at the end of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Hemingway's preferred writing process, and how did he come to create this process?
Essay Topic 2
The people in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four people and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the people around them.
Essay Topic 3
What happens when Fitzgerald dies, and what significance does this have on Hemingway's life? Who is involved in the tragedy there, and what does this monumental event mean to Hemingway?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)