|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hemingway when he meets Ernest Walsh?
2. Why does Zelda get excited when her husband drinks some wine?
3. What does Hemingway scold Shipman for when they first meet in Paris?
4. Why does Hemingway want to leave Stein's house before she leaves on her vacation?
5. How does Hemingway feel about many of Stein's new friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shipman say Jean is already in trouble with the cafe he works at?
2. What does Pascin ask Hemingway when they see each other at a cafe?
3. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
4. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
5. How are things with Fitzgerald when he moves to the villa?
6. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
7. How does Fitzgerald start to act when he is drunk after his summer trip?
8. What does Fitzgerald say he does after he writes his stories?
9. What is the hardest writing project Hemingway ever completed, and where does he do it?
10. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was Hemingway's life altered because of these incidents?
Essay Topic 2
What did Hemingway learn through his jarring experience with Dunning, the poet addicted to opium?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)