|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Fitzgerald meet Hemingway when they visit again in Paris?
2. Why does Hemingway try to be kind to Lewis even though he dislikes him?
3. What does Hemingway call his affair in the book?
4. Where does Dunning climb to after he returns from the asylum?
5. Where is Hemingway when he meets Ernest Walsh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hemingway love most about his friend, Ezra Pound?
2. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
3. How are things with Fitzgerald when he moves to the villa?
4. How does Walsh die, and how does Hemingway try to help him at the end of his life?
5. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
6. What causes the end of Hemingway's friendship with Stein?
7. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
8. What does Hemingway do after hearing the exchange between Stein and Toklas?
9. How does Fitzgerald start to act when he is drunk after his summer trip?
10. Why does Shipman say Jean is already in trouble with the cafe he works at?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and mortality were two integral themes in Hemingway's life. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this affect Hemingway's relationships?
Essay Topic 2
The people in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four people and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the people around them.
Essay Topic 3
Each of Hemingway's writer friends had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of these people, and how did their individuality affect Hemingway's life?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)