|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many models are with Pascin when Hemingway meets him?
2. Where does Hemingway spend the money he was going to give to Bel Esprit?
3. How does Hemingway feel about many of Stein's new friends?
4. Why does Zelda get excited when her husband drinks some wine?
5. What makes Hemingway constantly hungry when he is in the mountains?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Pilot Fish and what does he do?
2. Why does Shipman say Jean is already in trouble with the cafe he works at?
3. How does Walsh die, and how does Hemingway try to help him at the end of his life?
4. What does James Joyce ask Hemingway after Walsh's death?
5. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
6. How does Fitzgerald start to act when he is drunk after his summer trip?
7. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
8. What causes the end of Hemingway's friendship with Stein?
9. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
10. What surprises Hemingway about Fitzgerald's car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Each of Hemingway's writer friends had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of these people, and how did their individuality affect Hemingway's life?
Essay Topic 2
What did Hemingway learn through his jarring experience with Dunning, the poet addicted to opium?
Essay Topic 3
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was Hemingway's life altered because of these incidents?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)