|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of establishment does Fitzgerald live in in Paris?
2. What does Walsh hate being called?
3. What does Hemingway think when Walsh offers him a literary award?
4. What kind of authors does Pound tell Hemingway to read?
5. What does Hemingway find odd about Fitzgerald's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the hardest writing project Hemingway ever completed, and where does he do it?
2. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
3. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
4. What causes the end of Hemingway's friendship with Stein?
5. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
6. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
7. What does James Joyce ask Hemingway after Walsh's death?
8. What surprises Hemingway about Fitzgerald's car?
9. What does Pascin ask Hemingway when they see each other at a cafe?
10. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway and Pond were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their careers, their family, and their role in each other's lives?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hemingway's writing change over the course of his life, and what caused these changes?
Essay Topic 3
What did Hemingway learn through his jarring experience with Dunning, the poet addicted to opium?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)