|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Hemingway try to give when he leaves Stein's house before she goes on vacation?
2. What is Dunning's occupation?
3. What does Hemingway find odd about Fitzgerald's body?
4. What does the Pilot Fish attract to the mountains?
5. What does Fitzgerald demand of Hemingway when they visit again in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are things with Fitzgerald when he moves to the villa?
2. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
3. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
4. What causes the end of Hemingway's friendship with Stein?
5. What surprises Hemingway about Fitzgerald's car?
6. How does Walsh die, and how does Hemingway try to help him at the end of his life?
7. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
8. Why does Shipman say Jean is already in trouble with the cafe he works at?
9. How does Fitzgerald start to act when he is drunk after his summer trip?
10. What does Hemingway say about Dostoyevsky's writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Hemingway's preferred writing process, and how did he come to create this process?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Bel Esprit, and why was Pound so invested in its creation? How did Pound's involvement in the Bel Esprit affect Hemingway's life, and his relationship with Ezra Pound?
Essay Topic 3
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)