|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hemingway first meet Fitzgerald?
2. What does Dunning throw at Hemingway when he visits Dunning after his episode?
3. Where is Hemingway when he meets Ernest Walsh?
4. What is the name of Ezra Pound's wife?
5. What is the name of the owner of the bar that Fitzgerald frequented?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
2. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
3. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
4. What does Hemingway love most about his friend, Ezra Pound?
5. What does James Joyce ask Hemingway after Walsh's death?
6. What does Fitzgerald say he does after he writes his stories?
7. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
8. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
9. How does Fitzgerald start to act when he is drunk after his summer trip?
10. How are things with Fitzgerald when he moves to the villa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway and Pond were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their careers, their family, and their role in each other's lives?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Hemingway and Hadley change throughout the course of this book, and how do these changes affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 3
Each of Hemingway's writer friends had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of these people, and how did their individuality affect Hemingway's life?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)