|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dunning throw at Hemingway when he visits Dunning after his episode?
2. What kind of books did Hemingway read when he first joined Shakespeare and Company?
3. How did Pascin die?
4. What word does Hemingway use to describe Lewis's personality?
5. What does Hemingway scold Shipman for when they first meet in Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
2. What does Hemingway love most about his friend, Ezra Pound?
3. Why does Shipman say Jean is already in trouble with the cafe he works at?
4. What does Hemingway say about Dostoyevsky's writing?
5. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
6. What does Fitzgerald say he does after he writes his stories?
7. What causes the end of Hemingway's friendship with Stein?
8. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
9. How does Walsh die, and how does Hemingway try to help him at the end of his life?
10. What does Hemingway do after hearing the exchange between Stein and Toklas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is something that was very important to Hemingway in his life. Where are some places that friendship appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
The people in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four people and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the people around them.
Essay Topic 3
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)