|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fitzgerald say when he first meets Hemingway?
2. What does Fitzgerald blame for his inability to write?
3. What does Hemingway think when Walsh offers him a literary award?
4. What makes Hemingway constantly hungry when he is in the mountains?
5. What word does Hemingway use to describe Lewis's personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
2. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
3. How does Hemingway try to help Fitzgerald after hearing his secret?
4. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
5. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
6. What does Hemingway do after hearing the exchange between Stein and Toklas?
7. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
8. What is the Pilot Fish and what does he do?
9. What surprises Hemingway about Fitzgerald's car?
10. What does James Joyce ask Hemingway after Walsh's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What did Hemingway learn through his jarring experience with Dunning, the poet addicted to opium?
Essay Topic 3
How did Hemingway's writing change over the course of his life, and what caused these changes?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)