|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stein call her companion?
2. What animal does Hemingway compare Wyndham Lewis to?
3. What does Fitzgerald say when he first meets Hemingway?
4. What does Hemingway find odd about Fitzgerald's body?
5. Who lets Hemingway into the house when Stein is not home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Walsh die, and how does Hemingway try to help him at the end of his life?
2. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
3. What is the Pilot Fish and what does he do?
4. What causes the end of Hemingway's friendship with Stein?
5. What does Pascin ask Hemingway when they see each other at a cafe?
6. What is the hardest writing project Hemingway ever completed, and where does he do it?
7. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
8. What does Hemingway do after hearing the exchange between Stein and Toklas?
9. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
10. What does James Joyce ask Hemingway after Walsh's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Hemingway's writing change over the course of his life, and what caused these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What did Hemingway learn through his jarring experience with Dunning, the poet addicted to opium?
Essay Topic 3
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)