|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hemingway know where Ford's party is being held?
2. Where is Hemingway at the beginning of the book?
3. Who is Hemingway's favorite artist?
4. What does Hemingway like to watch while he reads?
5. Where does Hemingway get a lot of inspiration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
2. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
3. Who does the caped man turn out to be?
4. What does Hemingway's wife say when she hears about the Shakespeare's company?
5. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
6. How do two of Hemingway's stories survive?
7. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
8. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
9. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
10. Where does Hemingway do a lot of his writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four people and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the people around them.
Essay Topic 2
Death and mortality were two integral themes in Hemingway's life. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this affect Hemingway's relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Each of Hemingway's writer friends had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of these people, and how did their individuality affect Hemingway's life?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)