|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway NOT do after his tender chat about love with his wife?
2. What does Hemingway like to write in?
3. What does Hemingway's wife say that Hemingway often has in his life to help him?
4. What famous person does Hemingway hope to see in Sylvia's shop?
5. Why is Hemingway often hungry?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway describe the fishermen along the Seine?
2. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
3. What does Hemingway think about after making love to his wife after winning at the races?
4. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
5. How does Hemingway say Sylvia Beach treated him?
6. What does Hemingway's wife say when she hears about the Shakespeare's company?
7. Who does the caped man turn out to be?
8. How does Hemingway justify the time he spends at the race track, and why is this ironic?
9. How does Hemingway feel after his large meal at the nice restaurant?
10. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the defining moments in Hemingway's friendship with Fitzgerald, and how did these moments affect Hemingway's life?
Essay Topic 2
What happens when Fitzgerald dies, and what significance does this have on Hemingway's life? Who is involved in the tragedy there, and what does this monumental event mean to Hemingway?
Essay Topic 3
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the people who are involved in those moments?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)