|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other kind of racing does Hemingway become involved in?
2. Where does Hemingway do much of his writing?
3. What does Hemingway feel his writing will become?
4. What does Hemingway like to do early in the morning?
5. What does Hemingway like to write in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stein think Hemingway views homosexuals?
2. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
3. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
4. How do Hemingway and his wife respond to the news of his lost writings?
5. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
6. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
7. What does Hemingway do to make his stories more poetic?
8. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Shakespeare and Company?
9. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
10. Why does Hemingway say he feels the way he does about homosexuals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Hemingway's writing change over the course of his life, and what caused these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Each of Hemingway's writer friends had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of these people, and how did their individuality affect Hemingway's life?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)