|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hillaire Belloc's occupation?
2. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound?
3. What odd article of clothing was Belloc wearing when Hemingway first saw him?
4. What bad habit does Stein think Hemingway takes to the extreme?
5. What other kind of racing does Hemingway become involved in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the caped man turn out to be?
2. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
3. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Shakespeare and Company?
4. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
5. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
6. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
7. How does Hemingway feel after his discussion about homosexuals with Stein?
8. How does Hemingway lose his stories?
9. Where does Stein first hear the phrase, 'The Lost Generation'?
10. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and mortality were two integral themes in Hemingway's life. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this affect Hemingway's relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Alice was a person who was seen very little in this book, but whose presence made a big difference in Hemingway's life. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered Hemingway's life? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
What was Hemingway's preferred writing process, and how did he come to create this process?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)