|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway compare finishing a story to?
2. Where is Chink from?
3. Why does Mike NOT like horse racing?
4. What does Hemingway carry for luck?
5. What is Hillaire Belloc's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
2. How does Stein think Hemingway views homosexuals?
3. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
4. How does Hemingway lose his stories?
5. What kind of racing does Mike say he prefers, and why?
6. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Shakespeare and Company?
7. Why does Hemingway say he feels the way he does about homosexuals?
8. What is Hemingway's wife excited about when he returns to their apartment at the beginning of the book?
9. How do Hemingway and his wife respond to the news of his lost writings?
10. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his dates at the races with his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the people who are involved in those moments?
Essay Topic 2
Each of Hemingway's writer friends had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of these people, and how did their individuality affect Hemingway's life?
Essay Topic 3
What was Hemingway's preferred writing process, and how did he come to create this process?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)