|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway's wife want to buy to have at the race track?
2. What does Stein think caused Hemingway's generation to be the way it is?
3. How does Ford say Hemingway looks when he sits with him at the cafe?
4. What does Hemingway like to sit under at his favorite cafe?
5. Who invites Hemingway and his wife to dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
2. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
3. What does Hemingway carry with him at all times for luck?
4. What does Hemingway do to make his stories more poetic?
5. Where does Stein first hear the phrase, 'The Lost Generation'?
6. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Shakespeare and Company?
7. Why does Ford get mad at the waiter from the cafe?
8. How do two of Hemingway's stories survive?
9. What kind of racing does Mike say he prefers, and why?
10. How do Hemingway and his wife respond to the news of his lost writings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Hemingway and Hadley change throughout the course of this book, and how do these changes affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Bel Esprit, and why was Pound so invested in its creation? How did Pound's involvement in the Bel Esprit affect Hemingway's life, and his relationship with Ezra Pound?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)