|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What distracts Hemingway from his writing at the beginning of the book?
2. How many of Hemingway's racing stories survive?
3. What is Gertrude's last name?
4. What author does Stein recommend that Hemingway read?
5. Where does Hemingway hope his stories will be sold one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway describe the Shakespeare and Company shop?
2. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
3. How does Hemingway feel after his discussion about homosexuals with Stein?
4. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
5. Where does Stein first hear the phrase, 'The Lost Generation'?
6. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's definition of the Lost Generation?
7. How do Hemingway and his wife respond to the news of his lost writings?
8. What did Hemingway say would make his story about the interrupter more interesting?
9. Why does Hemingway say he never wrote about some of the greatest moments he witnessed in bicycle racing?
10. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is something that was very important to Hemingway in his life. Where are some places that friendship appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Bel Esprit, and why was Pound so invested in its creation? How did Pound's involvement in the Bel Esprit affect Hemingway's life, and his relationship with Ezra Pound?
Essay Topic 3
The people in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four people and write their main motivation throughout the book, and how this goal affected the people around them.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)