|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Hemingway do in order to write about Paris?
2. What does Hemingway do to distract himself from his own writing?
3. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his times at the racetrack?
4. What does Gertrude say Hemingway should NOT write?
5. What does Hemingway carry for luck?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway feel after his discussion about homosexuals with Stein?
2. Who does the caped man turn out to be?
3. Why does Ford get mad at the waiter from the cafe?
4. What does Hemingway's wife say when she hears about the Shakespeare's company?
5. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
6. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
7. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
8. What did Hemingway say would make his story about the interrupter more interesting?
9. What is Hemingway's wife excited about when he returns to their apartment at the beginning of the book?
10. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's definition of the Lost Generation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the defining moments in Hemingway's friendship with Fitzgerald, and how did these moments affect Hemingway's life?
Essay Topic 2
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the people who are involved in those moments?
Essay Topic 3
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was Hemingway's life altered because of these incidents?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)