|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman?
2. Where does Hemingway hope his stories will be sold one day?
3. How does Hemingway justify his time at the race track?
4. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound?
5. How does Hemingway feel when his writing gets interrupted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
2. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's definition of the Lost Generation?
3. What does Hemingway think about after making love to his wife after winning at the races?
4. How does Hemingway feel after his discussion about homosexuals with Stein?
5. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
6. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
7. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
8. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
9. What does Hemingway's wife say when she hears about the Shakespeare's company?
10. Where does Stein first hear the phrase, 'The Lost Generation'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the people who are involved in those moments?
Essay Topic 2
Death and mortality were two integral themes in Hemingway's life. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this affect Hemingway's relationships?
Essay Topic 3
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)