|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway like to do early in the morning?
2. What is Hemingway's favorite season in Paris?
3. What kind of poles do the Paris fishermen use?
4. What does Hemingway say all critics start every sentence with?
5. Which of Hemingway's jobs does he quit first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
2. Why does Ford get mad at the waiter from the cafe?
3. How does Hemingway say Sylvia Beach treated him?
4. How does Hemingway describe the Shakespeare and Company shop?
5. What did Hemingway say would make his story about the interrupter more interesting?
6. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
7. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
8. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his dates at the races with his wife?
9. What does Hemingway think about after making love to his wife after winning at the races?
10. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which people are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 2
Alice was a person who was seen very little in this book, but whose presence made a big difference in Hemingway's life. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered Hemingway's life? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is something that was very important to Hemingway in his life. Where are some places that friendship appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)