|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sylvia Beach decorate her store with?
2. What does Hemingway NOT do after his tender chat about love with his wife?
3. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
4. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman?
5. Who does Hemingway know would lend him money if he needed it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do two of Hemingway's stories survive?
2. What did Hemingway say would make his story about the interrupter more interesting?
3. How does Hemingway say Sylvia Beach treated him?
4. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
5. What does Hemingway think about after making love to his wife after winning at the races?
6. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
7. How does Hemingway justify the time he spends at the race track, and why is this ironic?
8. What kind of racing does Mike say he prefers, and why?
9. What does Hemingway carry with him at all times for luck?
10. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was Hemingway's life altered because of these incidents?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway and Pond were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their careers, their family, and their role in each other's lives?
Essay Topic 3
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which people are most affected by this?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)