|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hemingway put his racing budget?
2. What does Hemingway make the man who interrupts him promise?
3. What does Hemingway say would make the story about the interruption more interesting?
4. What kind of car does Stein drive?
5. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway justify the time he spends at the race track, and why is this ironic?
2. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
3. Why does Hemingway say he never wrote about some of the greatest moments he witnessed in bicycle racing?
4. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's writing?
5. Who does the caped man turn out to be?
6. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
7. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
8. Why does Hemingway feel comfortable in his state of poverty?
9. What kind of racing does Mike say he prefers, and why?
10. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Hemingway and Hadley change throughout the course of this book, and how do these changes affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the defining moments in Hemingway's friendship with Fitzgerald, and how did these moments affect Hemingway's life?
Essay Topic 3
What did Hemingway learn through his jarring experience with Dunning, the poet addicted to opium?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)