|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway talk about at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Hemingway's wife want to buy to have at the race track?
3. What does Hemingway say he did not have enough money for?
4. Why is Hemingway often hungry?
5. What does Hemingway's wife say that Hemingway often has in his life to help him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the caped man turn out to be?
2. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
3. How does Hemingway lose his stories?
4. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
5. What does Hemingway carry with him at all times for luck?
6. Why does Hemingway say he never wrote about some of the greatest moments he witnessed in bicycle racing?
7. How does Hemingway describe the fishermen along the Seine?
8. Why does Hemingway feel comfortable in his state of poverty?
9. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's writing?
10. How does Stein think Hemingway views homosexuals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice was a person who was seen very little in this book, but whose presence made a big difference in Hemingway's life. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered Hemingway's life? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What was Hemingway's preferred writing process, and how did he come to create this process?
Essay Topic 3
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was Hemingway's life altered because of these incidents?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)