|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway's wife say that Hemingway often has in his life to help him?
2. What does Hemingway say heightens his perception of the paintings in the museum?
3. What kind of people used to frequent Hemingway's favorite cafe?
4. What does Hemingway do to distract himself from his own writing?
5. What does Gertrude think of the story 'Up in Michigan'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stein think Hemingway views homosexuals?
2. What does Hemingway do to make his stories more poetic?
3. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
4. Where does Hemingway do a lot of his writing?
5. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
6. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's writing?
7. What does Hemingway carry with him at all times for luck?
8. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
9. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
10. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the ways Hemingway and Hadley showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the people who are involved in those moments?
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between Hemingway and Hadley change throughout the course of this book, and how do these changes affect the people around them?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)