|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway make the man who interrupts him promise?
2. What kind of people used to frequent Hemingway's favorite cafe?
3. What is less challenging to Hemingway in Paris after his winter vacation?
4. What does Hemingway like to sit under at his favorite cafe?
5. What does Hemingway talk about at the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hemingway say he never wrote about some of the greatest moments he witnessed in bicycle racing?
2. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
3. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
4. What does Hemingway think about after making love to his wife after winning at the races?
5. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
6. What does Hemingway do to make his stories more poetic?
7. Why does Hemingway say he feels the way he does about homosexuals?
8. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
9. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
10. How does Stein think Hemingway views homosexuals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice was a person who was seen very little in this book, but whose presence made a big difference in Hemingway's life. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered Hemingway's life? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was Hemingway's life altered because of these incidents?
Essay Topic 3
What was Hemingway's preferred writing process, and how did he come to create this process?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)