|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway say he feels about the privacy at his cafe?
2. What does Ford chastise Hemingway for while they sit together at a cafe?
3. What bad habit does Stein think Hemingway takes to the extreme?
4. What kind of fish do the Paris fishermen catch?
5. What does Hemingway's wife say that Hemingway often has in his life to help him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hemingway and his wife respond to the news of his lost writings?
2. How do two of Hemingway's stories survive?
3. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
4. Why does Hemingway feel comfortable in his state of poverty?
5. How does Hemingway justify the time he spends at the race track, and why is this ironic?
6. How does Hemingway describe the fishermen along the Seine?
7. Who does the caped man turn out to be?
8. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
9. What does Hemingway think about after making love to his wife after winning at the races?
10. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the defining moments in Hemingway's friendship with Fitzgerald, and how did these moments affect Hemingway's life?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Bel Esprit, and why was Pound so invested in its creation? How did Pound's involvement in the Bel Esprit affect Hemingway's life, and his relationship with Ezra Pound?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)