|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway make the man who interrupts him promise?
2. What kind of poles do the Paris fishermen use?
3. What does Hemingway talk about at the beginning of the book?
4. What other kind of racing does Hemingway become involved in?
5. What kind of fish do the Paris fishermen catch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway feel after his large meal at the nice restaurant?
2. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
3. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
4. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Shakespeare and Company?
5. How does Hemingway describe the fishermen along the Seine?
6. How does Hemingway describe the Shakespeare and Company shop?
7. Why does Ford get mad at the waiter from the cafe?
8. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
9. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
10. Why does Hemingway feel comfortable in his state of poverty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Bel Esprit, and why was Pound so invested in its creation? How did Pound's involvement in the Bel Esprit affect Hemingway's life, and his relationship with Ezra Pound?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway and Pond were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their careers, their family, and their role in each other's lives?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)