|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman?
2. What does Stein think caused Hemingway's generation to be the way it is?
3. What does Hemingway talk about at the beginning of the book?
4. Why does Mike NOT like horse racing?
5. Who does Hemingway know would lend him money if he needed it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hemingway's wife say when she hears about the Shakespeare's company?
2. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
3. Why does Hemingway say he never wrote about some of the greatest moments he witnessed in bicycle racing?
4. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
5. What is Hemingway's wife excited about when he returns to their apartment at the beginning of the book?
6. Why does Ford get mad at the waiter from the cafe?
7. Why does Hemingway feel comfortable in his state of poverty?
8. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
9. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
10. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which people are most affected by this?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Hemingway and Hadley change throughout the course of this book, and how do these changes affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 3
Death and mortality were two integral themes in Hemingway's life. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this affect Hemingway's relationships?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)