|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money was in the envelope for Hemingway at the Shakespeare and Company?
2. What author does Stein recommend that Hemingway read?
3. What does Gertrude think of the story 'Up in Michigan'?
4. What doesHemingway do every day during his winter vacation?
5. How many month's of savings does Hemingway's wife lose on a horse race?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
2. What does Hemingway carry with him at all times for luck?
3. How does Hemingway feel after his discussion about homosexuals with Stein?
4. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
5. What does Hemingway do to make his stories more poetic?
6. How does Stein think Hemingway views homosexuals?
7. Who does the caped man turn out to be?
8. How does Hemingway describe the Shakespeare and Company shop?
9. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
10. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
What happens when Fitzgerald dies, and what significance does this have on Hemingway's life? Who is involved in the tragedy there, and what does this monumental event mean to Hemingway?
Essay Topic 3
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)