|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of fish do the Paris fishermen catch?
2. How does Hemingway say he feels about the privacy at his cafe?
3. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman?
4. What does Hemingway compare finishing a story to?
5. Where is Chink from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hemingway feel comfortable in his state of poverty?
2. Why does Hemingway say he never wrote about some of the greatest moments he witnessed in bicycle racing?
3. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
4. Who does the caped man turn out to be?
5. How does Hemingway say Sylvia Beach treated him?
6. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
7. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his dates at the races with his wife?
8. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
9. Where does Hemingway do a lot of his writing?
10. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death and mortality were two integral themes in Hemingway's life. What are some of the key examples of this theme, and how did the presence of this affect Hemingway's relationships?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Hemingway and Hadley change throughout the course of this book, and how do these changes affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 3
Each of Hemingway's writer friends had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of these people, and how did their individuality affect Hemingway's life?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)