|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway define his friendship with Stein?
2. What does Hemingway lie to Hadley about while he is hungry?
3. What odd article of clothing was Belloc wearing when Hemingway first saw him?
4. How many month's of savings does Hemingway's wife lose on a horse race?
5. Where does Hemingway like to go for reading material?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hemingway think about after making love to his wife after winning at the races?
2. What is Hemingway's wife excited about when he returns to their apartment at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
4. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
5. What does Hemingway's wife say when she hears about the Shakespeare's company?
6. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
7. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
8. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound's work?
9. How does Stein think Hemingway views homosexuals?
10. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the ways Hemingway and Hadley showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What was Hemingway's preferred writing process, and how did he come to create this process?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)