|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car does Stein drive?
2. What is Ford's occupation?
3. How does Hemingway feel when his writing gets interrupted?
4. Where will Hemingway and his family spend the winter?
5. What does Hemingway say all critics start every sentence with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Fitzgerald start to act when he is drunk after his summer trip?
2. What does Hemingway say about Dostoyevsky's writing?
3. How does Hemingway feel after his large meal at the nice restaurant?
4. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
5. How does Hemingway feel after his discussion about homosexuals with Stein?
6. What does Fitzgerald say he does after he writes his stories?
7. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
8. Why does Shipman say Jean is already in trouble with the cafe he works at?
9. What does Hemingway carry with him at all times for luck?
10. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
Essay Topic 1
Alice was a person who was seen very little in this book, but whose presence made a big difference in Hemingway's life. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered Hemingway's life? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What was Hemingway's preferred writing process, and how did he come to create this process?
Essay Topic 3
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)