|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway order for himself while he is writing at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Hemingway lie to Hadley about while he is hungry?
3. What does Hemingway do to distract himself from his own writing?
4. What does Sylvia Beach scold Hemingway for?
5. What word does the man who interrupts Hemingway use to describe Hemingway's writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Shakespeare and Company?
2. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
3. What did Hemingway say would make his story about the interrupter more interesting?
4. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
5. How does Hemingway feel after his discussion about homosexuals with Stein?
6. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
7. What does Hemingway say is the best thing about his dates at the races with his wife?
8. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
9. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
10. How do two of Hemingway's stories survive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Bel Esprit, and why was Pound so invested in its creation? How did Pound's involvement in the Bel Esprit affect Hemingway's life, and his relationship with Ezra Pound?
Essay Topic 3
What did Hemingway learn through his jarring experience with Dunning, the poet addicted to opium?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)