|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hemingway like to go for reading material?
2. What does Hemingway NOT do after his tender chat about love with his wife?
3. Why does Hemingway feel the way he does when he first enters Sylvia's store?
4. How does Hemingway define his friendship with Stein?
5. Who does Hemingway know would lend him money if he needed it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
2. What does Hemingway carry with him at all times for luck?
3. Why does Ford get mad at the waiter from the cafe?
4. How does Hemingway justify the time he spends at the race track, and why is this ironic?
5. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
6. How does Hemingway lose his stories?
7. Why does Hemingway say he never wrote about some of the greatest moments he witnessed in bicycle racing?
8. Where does Stein first hear the phrase, 'The Lost Generation'?
9. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
10. What kind of racing does Mike say he prefers, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was Hemingway's life altered because of these incidents?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway and Pond were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their careers, their family, and their role in each other's lives?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Bel Esprit, and why was Pound so invested in its creation? How did Pound's involvement in the Bel Esprit affect Hemingway's life, and his relationship with Ezra Pound?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)