|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What odd article of clothing was Belloc wearing when Hemingway first saw him?
2. What does Hemingway say he did not have enough money for?
3. How many month's of savings does Hemingway's wife lose on a horse race?
4. What bad habit does Stein think Hemingway takes to the extreme?
5. What does Ford accuse his waiter of doing while he is with Hemingway at the cafe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
2. Where does Hemingway do a lot of his writing?
3. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's writing?
4. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
5. What surprises Hemingway about Fitzgerald's car?
6. What does Hemingway like about his favorite cafe in Paris?
7. How does finishing a story make Hemingway feel?
8. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
9. What does Hemingway think about after making love to his wife after winning at the races?
10. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway and Pond were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their careers, their family, and their role in each other's lives?
Essay Topic 2
Hemingway endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Hemingway and Hadley showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of their lives?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)