|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway carry for luck?
2. What bad habit does Stein think Hemingway takes to the extreme?
3. Where will Hemingway and his family spend the winter?
4. What kind of poles do the Paris fishermen use?
5. What does Hemingway say would make the story about the interruption more interesting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hemingway do to make his stories more poetic?
2. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
3. Where does Stein first hear the phrase, 'The Lost Generation'?
4. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
5. Why does Ford say he is a gentleman and Hemingway is not?
6. Why does Hemingway say he feels the way he does about homosexuals?
7. How do two of Hemingway's stories survive?
8. What does Hemingway's wife say when she hears about the Shakespeare's company?
9. How does Hemingway feel after his discussion about homosexuals with Stein?
10. Where do many of Hemingway's stories take place, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the ways Hemingway and Hadley showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Alice was a person who was seen very little in this book, but whose presence made a big difference in Hemingway's life. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered Hemingway's life? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway and Pond were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their careers, their family, and their role in each other's lives?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)