|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hemingway say all critics start every sentence with?
2. What does Ford accuse his waiter of doing while he is with Hemingway at the cafe?
3. What is Hillaire Belloc's occupation?
4. What does Hemingway like to watch while he reads?
5. Why is Hemingway often hungry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
2. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
3. Where does Hemingway do a lot of his writing?
4. How does Hemingway say Sylvia Beach treated him?
5. How does Hemingway feel about Stein's writing?
6. How does Fitzgerald start to act when he is drunk after his summer trip?
7. How does Hemingway describe the Shakespeare and Company shop?
8. How does Hemingway lose his stories?
9. Why does Hemingway say he does not fish himself?
10. How do two of Hemingway's stories survive?
Essay Topic 1
Love was a very important attribute and motivating factor in this book. Which people were most affected by this theme? Which relationships were the most significant to Hemingway's life and why?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is something that was very important to Hemingway in his life. Where are some places that friendship appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Hemingway and Pond were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their careers, their family, and their role in each other's lives?
This section contains 1,197 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)