|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Sylvia's store?
2. What does Hemingway like to write in?
3. What author does Stein recommend that Hemingway read?
4. What kind of people used to frequent Hemingway's favorite cafe?
5. What does Hemingway NOT do after his tender chat about love with his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man who interrupts Hemingway complain about, and how does Hemingway try to help him?
2. What did Hemingway say would make his story about the interrupter more interesting?
3. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
4. What does Hemingway say about Dostoyevsky's writing?
5. Why does Stein dislike Ezra Pound's work?
6. Who does Stein say belongs to the Lost Generation?
7. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
8. How does Hemingway feel after his large meal at the nice restaurant?
9. How does Walsh die, and how does Hemingway try to help him at the end of his life?
10. How does Hemingway lose his stories?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hemingway and Pond were both very dynamic leaders and father figures in this book. What are the differences in the two styles of leadership, and how do these differences affect their careers, their family, and their role in each other's lives?
Essay Topic 2
Each of Hemingway's writer friends had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of these people, and how did their individuality affect Hemingway's life?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Bel Esprit, and why was Pound so invested in its creation? How did Pound's involvement in the Bel Esprit affect Hemingway's life, and his relationship with Ezra Pound?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)