|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of paper does Hemingway buy after the goatherd passes?
2. What does Hemingway compare finishing a story to?
3. Where does Hemingway put his racing budget?
4. Where does Hemingway do much of his writing?
5. Who does Hemingway know would lend him money if he needed it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hemingway lose his stories?
2. How does Hemingway justify the time he spends at the race track, and why is this ironic?
3. Why is Hemingway writing about Michigan while he is in Paris?
4. Where do the booksellers find most of the English books they sell?
5. What does Hemingway do when he is interrupted at his cafe?
6. What happens when Hadley bets on a long shot at the races?
7. What does Hemingway's wife say when she hears about the Shakespeare's company?
8. How does Hemingway feel after his discussion about homosexuals with Stein?
9. How does Hemingway feel after his large meal at the nice restaurant?
10. How does Hemingway feel when he first enters Shakespeare and Company?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alice was a person who was seen very little in this book, but whose presence made a big difference in Hemingway's life. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, altered Hemingway's life? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the ways Hemingway and Hadley showed their love to each other, and how did these displays alter the course of their lives?
Essay Topic 3
How did Hemingway's writing change over the course of his life, and what caused these changes?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)