|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Hemingway when he meets Ernest Walsh?
(a) Pounds' studio.
(b) Shakespeare and Company.
(c) Stein's ballroom.
(d) A cafe.
2. What does Walsh hate being called?
3. What does Ezra give Hemingway a jar of before he leaves town?
(a) Silver dust.
4. How does a man die when Hemingway is watching in the mountains?
(a) An avalanche.
(b) He falls off a cliff.
(c) He has pneumonia.
(d) He is stabbed.
5. What is Dunning's occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of authors does Pound tell Hemingway to read?
2. What does Hemingway call the cafes where the other writers frequent?
3. How does Hemingway feel about many of Stein's new friends?
4. What disappoints Hemingway about Fitzgerald's writing?
5. What animal does Hemingway compare Wyndham Lewis to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shipman say Jean is already in trouble with the cafe he works at?
2. What does Hemingway do after hearing the exchange between Stein and Toklas?
3. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
4. What does Hemingway say about Dostoyevsky's writing?
5. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
6. What does Fitzgerald say he does after he writes his stories?
7. What is the hardest writing project Hemingway ever completed, and where does he do it?
8. What does James Joyce ask Hemingway after Walsh's death?
9. How does Fitzgerald start to act when he is drunk after his summer trip?
10. How does Walsh die, and how does Hemingway try to help him at the end of his life?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)