|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What excuse does Hemingway try to give when he leaves Stein's house before she goes on vacation?
(a) He was drunk.
(b) He has a sick friend.
(c) He had an important meeting.
(d) His wife is in the hospital.
2. Who else does Walsh offer the literary award to?
(a) T. S. Elliot.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) D. H. Lawrence.
3. Why does Hemingway continue to live in Paris?
(a) His wife loves it there.
(b) It is cheap to live there.
(c) Many writers live there.
(d) The weather is usually mild there.
4. How did Pascin die?
(a) He hung himself.
(b) He overdosed on drugs.
(c) He had a venerial disease.
(d) He shot himself.
5. Where does Evan Shipman meet Hemingway in Paris?
(a) Hemingway's house.
(b) A museum.
(c) Ezra Pound's studio.
(d) A cafe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fitzgerald's big secret?
2. What does Hemingway say the great treasure of living in Paris is?
3. Where did T.S. Elliot work before he became a great writer?
4. What does Hemingway call the cafes where the other writers frequent?
5. Where does Hemingway hide the jar that Ezra gives him when he leaves town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hemingway say about Dostoyevsky's writing?
2. How was Bel Esprit supposed to work out?
3. How does Pascin die, and how does Hemingway like to remember him?
4. What does Pascin ask Hemingway when they see each other at a cafe?
5. What does Fitzgerald say he does after he writes his stories?
6. What does Dunning do when Hemingway brings him a jar of opium?
7. What big secret does Fitzgerald confide in Hemingway about?
8. What does Hemingway do after hearing the exchange between Stein and Toklas?
9. What does Hemingway love most about his friend, Ezra Pound?
10. Why does Hemingway think Dunning reacted the way he did to the jar of opium?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)